Home

Results of blocks (CPU be cheesin')

This is a discussion on Results of blocks (CPU be cheesin') within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2014, 01:12 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Results of blocks (CPU be cheesin')

I think we all have had the displeasure of the cpu recovering their own blocked shot attempts seemingly over, and over, and over again. I once had Jordan Hill collect 11 (!!!!) offensive rebounds against me in mycareer almost entirely off of blocks. Maybe just as bad is the game ignoring physics by having the ball rocket out of bounds when it should've been an easy defensive rebound. But is this actually cheese or does it reflect real life? I decided to use stats.nba.com to chart Anthony Davis' (since he's leading the league) blocks by result.

I started with his most recent game and will be working my way back as I have time. My guess is that the game doesn't come close to reflecting reality.

Through Jan 10 (16 games; 49 blocks)

Defensive rebound by Davis: 10 (20%)
Defensive rebound by teammate: 19 (39%)
Offensive rebound by shot taker: 3 (6%)
Offensive rebound by teammate: 8 (16%)
Out of bounds (possession to defense): 1 (2%)
Out of bounds (possession to offense): 5 (10%)
No video (some have no video listed; others don't run long enough to include the intended play): 2 (4%)
Jump ball: 1 (2%)

Last edited by imraged; 02-13-2014 at 03:01 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Results of blocks (CPU be cheesin')

Blocks in general are stupid in this game. You can block a Scottie Pippen dunk with John Stockton's elbow as he's cocking it back. Needs a total overhaul. And cpu cheese is synonymous with MyPlayer lol
Old 02-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotatingkitchen
Blocks in general are stupid in this game. You can block a Scottie Pippen dunk with John Stockton's elbow as he's cocking it back. Needs a total overhaul. And cpu cheese is synonymous with MyPlayer lol
As long as Stockton isn't jumping out of the gym to get up and put his elbow on the ball, there is nothing wrong with that block. If he put his hands up, or did a little hop block attempt, and for whatever reason Pippen's animation brought the ball down far enough, if the ball makes contact with any part of Stockton's arm it should be a block.

NBA 2K10 Community Site Mix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cndytDNb-c

The people say they're pretty good.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

agreed jaosming.

I like the idea that the ball is totally tangible....people complain about this in both the bball games, but I can understand why the dev's made it this way...that's not to say it couldn't be cleaned up a little, but I get it....It was incredibly frustrating not being bale to block shots in 2k13 from timing...

Now the next part of this development is making the offensive animations more diverse and less predictable..
Old 02-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
Pro

It can get annoying but I found a slight improvement. Whenever I successfully block now I immediately press X which is ultimately what the CPU is doing instantly.

X (or square for PS4) makes your player reach/hustle for the ball. Quite often it will break that annoying recovery animation which is what we are getting stuck in when trying to grab the ball. That is why the CPU doesn't get caught in the animation as long. At least that's what I think.

Nevertheless, keep in mind that regardless of blocks being recovered or not you are still knocking the opponent out of rythm and causing an atribute penalty which helps in the long run.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
Banned

XxJustAguessxX's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
agreed jaosming.

I like the idea that the ball is totally tangible....people complain about this in both the bball games, but I can understand why the dev's made it this way...that's not to say it couldn't be cleaned up a little, but I get it....It was incredibly frustrating not being bale to block shots in 2k13 from timing...

Now the next part of this development is making the offensive animations more diverse and less predictable..
The ball is not tangible, I agree with the OP about blocks, they are ridiculous and it's nowhere near realistic. It's a cop out for the CPU when they play bad defense and then they get pump faked but because they jumped up now it enables a block animation lol. The shot block and dude gets his shot back is BS as well and I could have sworn they said it was going to happen pas frequently but it's still very prominent.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #7
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

Yea the amount of offensive boards in general is annoying, especially off blocks..

But I think the improvement needs to be made on offense..if you're a big dunker there's no way you should be getting blocked by point guards. There needs to be reactions so when you see someone come to block your dunk you **** back more or twist your body a little bit.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #8
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJustAguessxX
The ball is not tangible, I agree with the OP about blocks, they are ridiculous and it's nowhere near realistic. It's a cop out for the CPU when they play bad defense and then they get pump faked but because they jumped up now it enables a block animation lol. The shot block and dude gets his shot back is BS as well and I could have sworn they said it was going to happen pas frequently but it's still very prominent.
If the ball isn't tangible. then what are you complaining about?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »