Home

The Park - What's the point?

This is a discussion on The Park - What's the point? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The Park - What's the point?

I'll start off by saying I loved the Crew mode how it used to be. But 2K didn't want their developers/coders to be embarassed by random kids with flash drives so they discontinued the mode completely. Their replacement for Crew mode? A very flawed Park, which is rather pointless to play when you think about it.

What made Crew mode so great? The fact you could have Crews, look at box scores/stats from each game, crew rankings/leaderboards so you could see which crews were the best and know how you stacked up against them. You played in an actual arena instead of a random "Park" with Sprite machines and advertisements plastered all over it. Instead of actually using teamwork and playing realistic basketball, you are subjected to glorified pickup games with a bunch of alley oops and contested 3's that splash in. Dumbed down Basketball if you ask me.

They obviously didn't think ANYTHING through with the Park mode, I think they spent more time actually planning how many Sprite ads they could integrate into the Park rather than actual gameplay. So let's load up and play this flawed game. Loading screen takes a while (another Sprite ad), It shows your record that no one can see and stats that aren't even correct, you finally get in the game, it's a cluster f***. You have guys who have had their data compromised so you see 25 Overall "Bench Warmer" guys in default clothes running around. You have some mediocre players who bought VC and decked their guys out so they have no actual concept of basketball or how to play the game. You have to go to a "GOT NEXT" green spot and sit there waiting for the previous game to end before you can even play. Sometimes waiting anywhere from 10-15 minutes.

Instead of being able to just PLAY when you want to PLAY or loading a game quickly with friends, you are at the mercy of the random "Park" you are loaded into. Sometimes the Park is completely empty, sometimes it's jam packed. They dont have a court you can just shoot around in? Maybe test out some dunk packages or test a new jumper release with a shot indicator? Was 2K too lazy to put the shot indicator in the Park? I guess we can stand around the Sprite machines and talk about how awesome 2K is!

What rewards do you get for playing and winning in the Park? There aren't any stat pages, you can't track anything, nothing is acknowledged anywhere that you have actually accomplished anything for having an impressive W-L record or amassing a great "Win streak" on one of the "Park" courts. If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, does it make a sound? No leaderboards, no stats, nothing. What do you get as a reward for winning a game? 10 VC! Woopdie DOO! 10 whole VC! No rewards for holding the court 5 games in a row? 10 games in a row? 15 games in a row? Nope, just 10 VC. Of course they make all the rewards for winning and playing in games extremely low when you factor in how much "Shoes" "Training Boosts" "Outfits" and everything else costs.

The whole fact they give you very little VC for doing everything in this game just proves that they want you to purchase your VC if you want to play and enjoy all of their modes simultaneously, but we won't get into that.

Can anyone explain to me what the purpose of the Park is? To show off those cool Tshirts and Shoes you bought with your virtual currency? The actual skill level of the majority of players is low, the loading times are ridiculous, sometimes the games crash completely, there is no shot indicator, there is no real reward for winning a game or holding a streak, there is no leaderboard, no stats, no acknowledgment. It is debatable whether it is actually fun when you factor in the skill level of 90% of the people who actually play in the Park.

Can they just bring Crew back and stop insulting the intelligence of basketball fans? Yeah the graphics are pretty. And when you are done you can play Blacktop mode with Cliff Paul. Yea!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
Pro

Detroitfan4life1993's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: The Park - What's the point?

The thing I hate most about park is the fouls, I hate how everyone on park plays defense by mashing the steal button with no consequence. And I love rebounding as I play bigman most of the time but its so frustrating in the park because every time I box someone out they just push me down allowing them to get the rebound, if your going to have fouls in the park then call all the fouls now just some of them. Just bring back crew and make it like ea's nhl game. They have an offline and online myplayer and the online character you can only improve by playing online. Imagine having the real crew back and having milestones online. It would be cool to get a boostpack or skill points for scoring a certain amount of points in crew or playing a certain amount of games.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 2

Hey OP, I have a thread where the focus is on bringing back crew mode.

Its called

Nba 2K 15 bring back the real crew mode.

Go ahead and check it out.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrleaderboards
Hey OP, I have a thread where the focus is on bringing back crew mode.

Its called

Nba 2K 15 bring back the real crew mode.

Go ahead and check it out.
I will!

I support your movement man. Crew was the best mode BY FAR. They focus on so many stupid pointless features now, like playing "Blacktop mode" with "Cliff Paul".
Old 02-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
Rookie

There's absolutely no point! It's just a giant cesspool of people who buy VC and cheeses. They need to return to the format of NBA 2k11's online competitive my player modes with My Player blacktop (but with lobbies) and my crew it's that simple.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

I really liked the original Crew mode, and would prefer to go back to that format; however, I don't remember much "teamwork," or "realistic basketball" in that mode. I remember a bunch of 6-8, 99 OVR PGs playing street ball and basically being unstoppable. Essentially, it was just a matter of which team got to shoot the ball last.

Again, I liked that format and would like to have it back, but we remember that mode differently. It was pretty much the same one-on-one, street ball stuff you see in 5v5 Park games today. The more foul calls and free throws was welcome in one regard (made people quit spamming the steal button), but at the same time, it made defending cheese gamers with suped-up players that much harder. Play tight, you get called for a foul. Give them a little space, they knock down the jumper. I will say though, the spin-dunk cheese being removed would help a lot. That was the biggest problem with that mode.

Being able to look up Crew stats, and being able to run 5v5 with the computer filling in with an NBA roster if you didn't have 4 other friends online at the time was also a nice aspect.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
Banned

XxJustAguessxX's Arena

OVR: 8

Crew mode is really NBA streets lol you guys didn't know.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Hey guys remember when LD2k said that this was a mind blowing mode? L O L pfft...a mode where I have to wait 20 minutes just to play and once you're in nothing but dunks and three point shots....so much for balance...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »