Home

Online Cheesing/Poor Sportsmanship

This is a discussion on Online Cheesing/Poor Sportsmanship within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #25
Rookie

Slooty2k's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Online Cheesing/Poor Sportsmanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
Well, I will say this. I may use the Thunder, but I still play sim ball. I don't full court press all game, I don't try to takes charges at halfcourt, I only play man-to-man defense (not saying zones are cheese, just that OKC hardly ever runs a zone defense), and if I take 35 shots with Durant ... it's because he was open a lot.
Well...Durant took 28 shots yesterday against the Clippers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #26
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Duke 27
I dont see how choosing the Heat or Thunder falls under the umbrella of cheesing or bad sportsmanship. Thats really unfair to guys like me and a ton of other people who are hometown fans or lifelong fans of these teams. I lived in Miami my entire life, I was born literally two weeks after the Heats first season tipped off, my first Heat game was when I was 7 and we beat the 96 Bulls after the trade deadline and we were missing a ton of players. Ive been to everything from the Hardaway/Zo years to the D Wade is injured lottery team years. Ive had to deal with some pretty bad Heat teams over the years on NBA 2k and now because my team has the best player, a top 5 all time SG, one of the most versatile and underrated bigs in the game and a litany of 3 point shooters, its not fair for me to use the team Ive been rolling with since 2k6? Thats ridiculous.

Secondly, I think its fair to address current NBA trends in terms of the effects of the spread of analytics movement and defensive trends set by post 2008 Celtics defense. First of all, one of the main themes in analytics revolves around the expected value of shot selection. Shots around the rim and 3 pointers therefore are the most efficient shots in basketball and long 2 pointers are the least efficient shots. That being said, NBA offenses have revolved around pace and space, motion offenses and heavy pick and roll diets such as the Miami Heat, Spurs, Rockets, Clippers. Teams are frequently going small, trying to run teams up and down and use motion sets and dribble penetration to find layups and open 3s. Thats why more teams are attempting are a higher number of 3 pt attempts than in any point in history. So to say that taking a ton of 3s and driving it into the paint every possession is cheese is clearly untrue because that is simply what NBA offenses have come to value.

On the subject of defensive schemes, after Thibs defensive concepts spread through the league, teams have adopted zone heavy concepts. Heavy emphasis on overloading the strong side and mixing zone schemes to take away penetration and open looks from the arc. Teams like the Heat even play aggresively blitzing pick and rolls with double teams and trapping ball handlers to force turnovers and pressuring the ball and relying on fast rotations. Expecting traditional man to man defense in todays game is ridiculous. So I dont see how employing zone defenses falls under the umbrella of cheesing.

That's great. Not enough people use their local NBA team. Love to see that.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #27
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Duke 27
Well...Durant took 28 shots yesterday against the Clippers.
Yeah, but with 5-6 min quarters, a healthy shot number for your star is probably more in the 14-20 range.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #28
Mkg
Banned

First of all, people play online to win. If you can't handle the pressure, don't play online. If you know how to shoot your free throws, the screen shaking shouldn't bother u. It's home court advantage. Practice more. Also, just because people choose the heat or thunder, it doesn't mean they will automatically win the game. It's about who has better stick skills. The heat and thunder are no different than people jumping on the clippers band wagon then the spurs and now the pacers band wagon. Go practice.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #29
Rookie

I don't think the point I am trying to make is coming across (my fault).

As such, I will try to clear the air, trying to be as unbiased as possible.

As I have previously addressed, if you happen to live in Florida/OKC/California, and want to use your home/state team, great. If you are a fan, whether you're a life timer or bandwagoner (complete differnt bag of marbles), great. I can understand your angle, and have taken this point into account. For argumentative sake, let's nullify this variable and assume every play who chooses the Heat/Thunder are from there/lifelong ans/whatever.

I also concede the fact that if say KD is open, you're going to shoot with him. That is to say you're obviously not NOT going to use Durant. But I believe there is a huge difference between shooting when you're open/opportunities to shoot in the flow of offence vs. intentionally giving it to KD every time, and banging threes. As someone mentioned earlier, in a 6 minute quarter game, I'd say on average, 15 shots (given +/- 3) with any given player is acceptable. My problem arises when (and this has happened on several occasions) players will take 30-40 with any single player - most coming from charging the paint, in a way only the game would allow.

With that being said, for anyone who is calling me out for being a poor or unskilled player, unwilling to play "good" teams because I simply cannot, please know that is not my motivation. I would say I am an above average player (but by no means an expert). It is not that I can't beat users of the Thunder or Heat, it is more that I am tired of this style of gameplay.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:40 AM   #30
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

I don't mind playing the heat or Okc but it gets repetitive . Had a nice Suns vs Raptors match earlier and it was fun.

But I rarely play online versus. It gets too frustrating for me even with a winning record.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »