Home

Signature Skills!?!

This is a discussion on Signature Skills!?! within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #25
Banned

19LloydBanks82's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Signature Skills!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwabalicious
Has anyone used steals and blocks to classify a great defender? Has anyone even called Chris Paul a true "lockdown defender" in the NBA? No, it is an accessory trait in a video game that is used to make a player perform better. That is all. So nobody is calling these guys "lockdown defenders" We are just deeming guys like Chris Paul worthy of a video-game trait.

Steals and Blocks are pretty independent of a player's man to man defensive capability. Sure Chris Paul gets a lot of steals, and sure, he has big men behind him, but that doesn't take away from his anticipatory skills and quick feet. The best thing you can do is watch the games and see for yourself, as I have not cited any stats to back my arguments.

Rondo racks up a lot of steals, and played in front of KG; is he not a good defender? Beverly plays in front of Howard. Paul George in front of Hibbert. Conley in front of Gasol.
4th comment: "He has led the league in steals numerous times and is always every single year in the top 3 at least." People use that argument all the time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #26
Rookie

okc350's Arena

I'm baffled that people don't realize that CP3 is a top 3 defensive PG in the NBA. He's right up there with Conley and Rondo(when he puts forth the effort). There's a reason that he's so valuable to the clippers and why he's first team all defense every year.

He understands rotations very well and does a great job at staying in front of his man. His only downfall is that he sometimes gambles on the passing lanes which sometimes lets his defender get right by him. IIRC he allows below 0.8 PPP, which would rank him in the top 5 in the league.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #27
Pro

OVR: 9

Fair. I think we can all agree that Paul is a good defender on ball (top 3-8 at his position) unless you don't watch him play. The issue is how selective should the sig skill "lockdown defender be? How many guys are good enough at that end to "neutralize their opponent's signature skills," as that is what lockdown defender does?
Old 03-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #28
Banned

I don't agree that steals is a factor when it comes to lockdown defender.. Kawhi Leonard, Tony Allen, etc guys that are lockdown defenders done necessarily lead the nba in steals.

That being said, playoff Chris Paul is one of the best on ball defenders in the NBA.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #29
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwabalicious
Fair. I think we can all agree that Paul is a good defender on ball (top 3-8 at his position) unless you don't watch him play. The issue is how selective should the sig skill "lockdown defender be? How many guys are good enough at that end to "neutralize their opponent's signature skills," as that is what lockdown defender does?
The issue here... There shouldn't be a skill called "lockdown." It doesn't exist now and it hasn't in the past. Basketball is a team game and should be presented in this manor. Lockdown is a term that is irresponsibly thrown around by people who lack the understanding of defense and how it is played. It doesn't help that ESPN perpetuates this fictional attribute/skill. Nearly all of these guys have played with big guys who protect them somehow (PG=Hibbert, Paul=DJ, Leonard=Duncan, Allen=Gasol, etc.).

I would have no problem with this trait if it functioned more specifically to the player.

Battier: Hardly ever leaves his feet and always keeps a hand up or in the opponents face

Bradley: (lacks a big this year) He plays in your face and has exceptional lateral movement (hands on as much as he is allowed)

PG: Great lateral movement but gambles and shows lack of interest at times

This list could go on and on. You could make it as detailed as possible but that isn't the point. These players should play like they do in real life, not have some trait that doesn't apply to them. They all have their own strengths that should be reflected in their individualistic ways. This skill is a cop out on 2k and too many of you are buying into their lazy way of passing off something that doesn't exist. I expect better this generation...
Old 03-10-2014, 05:24 AM   #30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourpurpose
The issue here... There shouldn't be a skill called "lockdown." It doesn't exist now and it hasn't in the past. Basketball is a team game and should be presented in this manor. Lockdown is a term that is irresponsibly thrown around by people who lack the understanding of defense and how it is played. It doesn't help that ESPN perpetuates this fictional attribute/skill. Nearly all of these guys have played with big guys who protect them somehow (PG=Hibbert, Paul=DJ, Leonard=Duncan, Allen=Gasol, etc.).

I would have no problem with this trait if it functioned more specifically to the player.

Battier: Hardly ever leaves his feet and always keeps a hand up or in the opponents face

Bradley: (lacks a big this year) He plays in your face and has exceptional lateral movement (hands on as much as he is allowed)

PG: Great lateral movement but gambles and shows lack of interest at times

This list could go on and on. You could make it as detailed as possible but that isn't the point. These players should play like they do in real life, not have some trait that doesn't apply to them. They all have their own strengths that should be reflected in their individualistic ways. This skill is a cop out on 2k and too many of you are buying into their lazy way of passing off something that doesn't exist. I expect better this generation...
Very insightful post. I agree with u. 2k should create signature playing styles instead of signature skills. I hate how when i play with the rockets dwight will get an offensive rebound and lay it up. Knowing in real life thats either a put back dunk and 1 or a standing dunk and 1 or just a hard flush from under the rim. Cmon 2k

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »