Home

NBA 2K for PS4 or Xbox One??

This is a discussion on NBA 2K for PS4 or Xbox One?? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
MVP

jayman504's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: NBA 2K for PS4 or Xbox One??

Whatever you can afford buy SIMPLE! All your going to do is turn this thread into a fanboy war
Old 03-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #10
Pro

imfromhoiland's Arena

OVR: 0

I have both and love both. Simply put, if you want a media center go xbox, if you want it solely for gaming and graphics go ps4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #11
Rookie

QB1N's Arena

PS4. No question. Its cheaper and is better for games

The only reason to get an Xbox One is if you want console specific titles or plan on multi-tasking games and tv...

I would also like to point out that even if 2k drops the textures from the PS4 version to match with the Xbox One version, the PS4 will have better framerates. Most people will bring up how the fps is capped at 60, but the truth is it never hurts to have excess fps even when its capped because you will drop below 60 and having that extra gpu power will help keep it at a steady 60.

In regards to the controller, If you dont like the playstation style controller, they will be offering aftermarket controllers (ones you can buy at the store or online that were not included with the console) that are built like an xbox style controller.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #12
Rookie

QB1N's Arena

And before anyone thinks Im a fanboy of ps4 and tries to make this a flame war let me make it clear.

My $3000 gaming PC destroys both consoles combined. Of course Its significantly more expensive but its worth the improvement in graphics and while console gamers are playing at 1080p max, Im rocking the 4k resolution on my pc with close to 50 fps steady...

P.S.

I dont think either console is better than the other. Its dependent on what your needs are... I happen to play on console because certain games arent available on PC that are on console like Madden for example. I dont need Xbox One because I have a tv next to my computer area already and the other multimedia features are useless to me.

Good luck with your choice either way OP.

Last edited by QB1N; 03-23-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:47 PM   #13
Banned

NYGiants4Natic's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB1N
PS4. No question. Its cheaper and is better for games

The only reason to get an Xbox One is if you want console specific titles or plan on multi-tasking games and tv...

I would also like to point out that even if 2k drops the textures from the PS4 version to match with the Xbox One version, the PS4 will have better framerates. Most people will bring up how the fps is capped at 60, but the truth is it never hurts to have excess fps even when its capped because you will drop below 60 and having that extra gpu power will help keep it at a steady 60.

In regards to the controller, If you dont like the playstation style controller, they will be offering aftermarket controllers (ones you can buy at the store or online that were not included with the console) that are built like an xbox style controller.

Please point out where the 2K version of NBA2K for PS4 has better framerate then XB1

Or are you doing what most do and go based on what another game like Tomb Raider offers so that means all games are going to be like that or are like that....

XB1 and PS4 version of 2K are idential in terms of graphics and performance. But the XB1 comes out on top because it does not suffer from broken audio.

PS4 has games that have advantages in pixesl and framerates but that is not going to be the norm long term and it is short sided to think when a game is determined to be 1080p 60fps on both consoles to assume it is not based on what another game offers.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #14
Rookie

QB1N's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGiants4Natic
Please point out where the 2K version of NBA2K for PS4 has better framerate then XB1

Or are you doing what most do and go based on what another game like Tomb Raider offers so that means all games are going to be like that or are like that....

XB1 and PS4 version of 2K are idential in terms of graphics and performance. But the XB1 comes out on top because it does not suffer from broken audio.

PS4 has games that have advantages in pixesl and framerates but that is not going to be the norm long term and it is short sided to think when a game is determined to be 1080p 60fps on both consoles to assume it is not based on what another game offers.

All you have to do is look at the hardware. Both consoles are running similar gpus. The Xbox One (853 MHZ) has a higher gpu clock speed than the PS4 (800 MHZ), either of which could be modified at a later date by hacking the console or an update from either company because clock speed is of course not a physical entity and is mostly limited by the thermal limits of the hardware. Microsoft overclocked to 853 around launch time in an attempt to try and compete with the ps4. Hence the terms overclock or underclock...

Now, the biggest problem with overclocking is heat issues. This is part of why the Xbox One runs hotter than the PS4 in temp tests. Its not a significant difference in degrees celsius but higher temps are never good and CAN cause framerate drop...

One thing that cant be changed through a simple hack or update is the stream processors... The Xbox runs 768 shaders and the PS4 runs 1152 shaders which canbe bumped up to 1280 because the extra cores that are disabled WERE NOT LASERED OFF which is typical with the yield in gpus (See GTX TITAN FROM NVIDIA). This is important because that means Sony could release a patch tomorrow which could increase gpu performance even more. This would widen the gap in gpu performance even more than it already is... The yield on the Xbox One does not have any disabled cores. This means that even if Microsoft released any updates, they could not increase the stream processor count because there are not any to "enable".

Now I suppose the simple answer on how all this affects fps would go something like this...

You have two consoles running the same game. Both console companies need to be able to market the game as being playable at the same resolution and framerate as the other.

So the game developer has a choice... get both games to run at 60 fps with 1080p or maximize the potential of each console and release the games utilizing the respective console capabilities.

NBA2K was released with both consoles running 1080p and 60fps. When I said "even if 2k drops the textures from the PS4 version to match with the Xbox One version, the PS4 will have better framerates" I meant that since both consoles are supposedly on par in terms of graphical settings for the game (vsync, antialiasing, arthroscopic filtering, etc..), the console with better hardware will have more consistent framerates...

Its similar to having two people driving the same cars which can reach the same capped off top speed. The difference between the cars is that one has better acceleration than the other. That also means that if either car is forced to slow down the one with better acceleration could get back to its top speed faster.

So what it comes down to is... Both consoles are running 60 fps for 2k... but when something happens in the game that causes the gpu to face heavy load and framerate drop, the PS4 gpu will be able to recover from it faster than the Xbox One gpu. Its a matter of steady fps. Perhaps to should have been more specific and said consistent framerate instead of saying better fps.

Now the one single thing that the Xbox One may have over the PS4 and that I will give credence to is the rumor going around which may justify the xbox one being physically larger than the ps4... The rumor is that Microsoft has another gpu in the Xbox One known as the Volcanic Islands which they have not revealed in hardware specs. This rumor if true would mean that Microsoft has a disabled gpu in the Xbox One which they could turn on at any time through an update to give the console an additional 2300 - 2500+ stream processors. This would instantly place the Xbox Ones graphical capabilities ahead of the PS4. But as I said, It is currently a rumor and the reason why the gpu may be disabled is because of an NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) with AMD which could prohibit Microsoft from disclosing the console as having this gpu or having it enabled...

I wont even go into the advantage in memory that the PS4 has over the Xbox One...

Like I said though... both consoles are trash compared to a PC... I just prefer good hardware... so Ill call it like I see it...

I refused to buy the PS3 because I thought it was inferior to the Xbox 360 due to the failures of its cpu architecture and drivers...

Now I refuse to buy an Xbox One for its specific flaws...

If that rumor turns out to be true about the Xbox One though and Microsft has an ace up its sleeve that would give them the winning hand for years. I could picture alot of lawsuits for misleading marketing practices towards Microsoft which would probably go nowhere but hey no use in not trying, right ?

Last edited by QB1N; 03-24-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #15
Rookie

QB1N's Arena

BTW I apologize to anyone who walked in one this thread and didnt expect a wall of text...

Let me try to get back to the heart of the thread premise...

The Xbox One version of 2k has a rumble in the triggers depending on which of your hands the ball is in. The PS4 version doesnt have this... Its a minor difference but its interesting...

There is also a color difference between versions... the Xbox One version has slightly less color quality than the PS4 version...

I tried both console versions while playing on my 24 inch IPS 4k panel... it has fantastic color reproduction which is why I use it for photo editing so its easier to spot color flaws...

I doubt the OP would notice this though unless he plays on a high quality computer monitor...

The quality of any game on larger 1080p TV's look like crap anyway regardless of your hardware because of the pixels being stretched so again this would be another minor difference unless you have as I said a computer monitor and you care about color reproduction...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #16
Rookie

i have both and honesly i prefer xbox over ps4

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »