Home

what happened to being punished for bad shot selection ?

This is a discussion on what happened to being punished for bad shot selection ? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2014, 05:01 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: what happened to being punished for bad shot selection ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
this is my single biggest problem with the game and it's the reason i traded the game back to gamestop. i couldn't stomach the random shot success. especially online when scrubs could keep the game close with nothing but contact layups and contested jumpers. if 2k doesn't offer an alternative online mode where defense matters, i'm not buying this game again. it's unfortunate, because i love a lot of things about this game, but when success becomes random, i have to walk away. in 2k11 this game was about rewarding good shot selection, but that is no longer the case. superstars with sig skills have made it so that getting open shots is no longer important.

the only thing that will get me to buy this game next year is if 2k makes a conscious effort to promote a new online quick match mode where shot success is more based on openness and proximity of the defender. i won't buy this game until 2k makes an effort in this area and makes it known in their promotions that it's being addressed. otherwise i'll just assume it's the same old random garbage where contact layups and contested jumpers go in almost as often as open shots. i'm a long-time supporter of this series, so it says a lot that i'm willing to give it up, but when shot success is so random, it's not a rewarding experience and i'd rather do something else with my time.
Man I couldn't have said it better myself. It seems like The Park is the only mode in this game where defense actually has some effect on the outcome of shot attempts. I'm with you. If they don't change this mess I'm just going to give up on the hoop games.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #10
Rookie

I find it bad that I have more faith in a "B+" going in more times than a "A-". Or is it just me ? It makes no sense because I'm missing wide open "A-" jump shots. Not even three pointers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #11
Banned

bo.jangles344's Arena

The park is where it's the worst. Dudes with zero skill get in a game where everyone can shoot 60% of their 3s. They just pass back and forth on the three-point line all game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #12
Rookie

lockdownD's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
this is my single biggest problem with the game and it's the reason i traded the game back to gamestop. i couldn't stomach the random shot success. especially online when scrubs could keep the game close with nothing but contact layups and contested jumpers. if 2k doesn't offer an alternative online mode where defense matters, i'm not buying this game again. it's unfortunate, because i love a lot of things about this game, but when success becomes random, i have to walk away. in 2k11 this game was about rewarding good shot selection, but that is no longer the case. superstars with sig skills have made it so that getting open shots is no longer important.

the only thing that will get me to buy this game next year is if 2k makes a conscious effort to promote a new online quick match mode where shot success is more based on openness and proximity of the defender. i won't buy this game until 2k makes an effort in this area and makes it known in their promotions that it's being addressed. otherwise i'll just assume it's the same old random garbage where contact layups and contested jumpers go in almost as often as open shots. i'm a long-time supporter of this series, so it says a lot that i'm willing to give it up, but when shot success is so random, it's not a rewarding experience and i'd rather do something else with my time.
I agree with you and the OP. I haven't played this game for a couple months now. I used to play 2k's basketball games all year long, but I just can't stand the huge randomness of the gameplay and the ineffectiveness of defense on contact layups, floaters, and hands up defense. Playing against others (even friends) online is nowhere near as much fun as it used to be.

2k11 there was a much greater emphasis and reward in the game on taking good shot selections. The game used to reward you so much more for your skill and basketball smarts, now theres far too much randomness in the game, I assume to make the game much easier on the pick-up and play casual consumer in order to increase sales.

The last couple of years both the gameplay and sliders have unfortunetly been dumbed down. The online gameplay sliders were supposed to have been changed to Simulation and yet the gameplay is way more casual then it was even in 2k11 on the Default sliders that were used. Being a long time fan of the series its been really disappointing the way the game has evolved over the past couple of years.

My suggestions to the devs on the Gameplay, Sliders, and Online:

1. Should be more reward for taking smart shots (especially wide open shots) within a players range with perfect releases. Less reward for players forcing contested shots, especially contested contact shots. Defensive contested contact layups and hands-up should have much more of an effect on a shots success.

Probably around 90%+ of shot blocks just go right back to the offense, I'm not sure what the NBA % is on this but it seems far too high in the game on blocked shots. Its simply not rewarding enough on defense when you do get shot blocks since the offense just gets the ball back most all of the time.

Some Offensive Signature Skills should probably be toned down a bit to balance the game more as well.

2. Strengthen (not water down) the sliders. SIM should play like SIM not Casual.

3. Give users more online options like their used to be. For instance why was the ability to use customized options (sliders, etc.) in private team-up removed? Why were lobbies removed? There should be some form of matchmaking system in the game so that we have more options, instead of treating everyone the same.

4. Bring back a great co-op mode. While private team-up is alright, there needs to be something more in-depth in the game for people who like to play with their friends online. The Park (NBA Jams streetball) doesn't cut it. There needs to be a deep, authentic, competitive, and fun online co-op NBA experience.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #13
Banned

I'm beginning to think I'm the only consumer on the planet that enjoys this game.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #14
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Money14
I'm beginning to think I'm the only consumer on the planet that enjoys this game.
The game isnt a true simulation basketball. Its meant to be easy and accessible to everyone which degrades the product to us hardcore players that want the game to be challenging . their are others like u but they are mostly the casual NBA fans

fighting for truth, justice and SIMULATION gameplay

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »