Home

Tips for defending alley oops?

This is a discussion on Tips for defending alley oops? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2014, 12:07 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Tips for defending alley oops?

The one thing that gives me the most trouble on defense in this game is people who spam alley oops.

I'm not talking about the obvious 2 vs. 1 fastbreak situations where the defense should be at a disadvantage.

Instead, I want to know how to stop the situations where your defense seems to have everyone guarded tightly, but then the lob goes up through a crowd of people and you still get dunked on.

When I try jumping manually to block the oop, it seems like my player never follows the arc of the ball. Most times, he'll jump forward or jump off to the side in a random direction.

The only time I really seem to to stop alley oops is when I press nothing on my controller and the CPU automatically triggers a defensive swat animation for me.

So what do you guys use to defend against people who like to throw lots of lobs through traffic?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2014, 01:30 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Tips for defending alley oops?

I have that same problem all the time. It seems unstoppable. The only time I'm really able to stop it is when I press the steal button (square on ps4). When I hit the block Button my player just kind of sits there acting as if there is nothing to block. The computer seems to always be able to block my lobs if they're right in front of my lobs. But with my method I block around 1 every 8 attempts or 1 out of 8 (1:8 ratio).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

You're better off standing in front of the cutter as close as you can instead of jumping.

Any tips for picking up lose balls? My team acts brain dead
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 04-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
MVP

Hardest thing to stop if the opponent is good at it. Grab or bump the cutter or hope one of your players has a high enough vertical to swat the pass. A lot of times they will stand around or drive in slowly because they are waiting for a specific player to get open so also harass the ball handler, make him look away from the player he wants to pass to. They're trying to get to a specific spot on the floor for the right angle. You can steal, take a charge, double-team, mix it up to disrupt his rhythm.

Last edited by knick9; 04-12-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
Pro

Dude. Just get close and press charge or the intenese D button before they jump/when the ball is in the air
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 2

There's no defense for it...you just gotta take the loss. Embrace being g dunked on man.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Ideally what options for defending it would you like to see in game ?
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 04-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

User Response:

1) The jump button should do a better job of following the arc of the lob pass. Right now, there are many occasions where you will see the oop coming, press jump once the pass goes up in the air, and somehow your defender will jump away from the direction of the pass.

Computer Automation:

Run two checks whenever an alley oop is attempted:

1) Is the passer being tightly guarded? If so, the pass' accuracy should be significantly reduced.

2A) Is the recipient being tightly guarded?

2B) Will the path of the lob pass take the recipient through a crowded area of the floor? If so, he should have a more difficult time catching the pass and completing the dunk.

Right now, it seems like the success/failure of the alley oop animation is largely based on the passer's rating plus the dunker's rating and not much else.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »