Home

The most frustrating thing in this game.

This is a discussion on The most frustrating thing in this game. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: The most frustrating thing in this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
"Hustle" and "Awareness" are the two ratings that determine how quickly a player will react to a loose ball.

The "Scrapper" signature skill will also momentarily give a player +5 speed & +5 quickness whenever the ball comes loose.
Interesting. I feel as though it might be worthwhile for 2K to re-consider the definitions of "hustle" and "awareness" and perhaps overhaul their loose ball pursuit system. As it stands currently, I'm not sure there are any players in the NBA who react to loose balls in the manner with which most players do in 2K. It seems like it'd be a pretty big undertaking, involving new logic & many new animations, but again, I think it'd be worthwhile.

Last edited by VDusen04; 04-22-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #26
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Lots of great points in the thread. Let me mention one I've never seen mentioned before:

At least once a game, my defender under the basket ends up getting the ball and chucking a hail mary the length of the court to the other basket. This is because I was controlling another defender with two sticks when the ball changed hands. The use of the stick when the game instantly changes me to control the guy with the ball reads my stick movement as a shot at the basket. but I was still making movement to control the other defender when the game switched it on me.

Does this happen to anyone else?

A similar thing happens when I'm controlling a defender and it appears the ball is loose. I hit "x" on the Xbone to try to dive and recover the loose ball. However, the CPU has already locked my player in an animation to gain control of the ball, even though he does not have it when I hit the button. The result? Once my player has the ball he chuck up a full court shot because the CPU thinks I've hit "x" to shoot the ball.

Very annoying.

I know I could set my controller to only control one player by position but that's also a pain, I like to choose my defender and switch around.

There should be some different shot mechanic, maybe, to take a shot past half court, so user input not meant to be a shot does not become a shot while playing defense.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #27
MVP

jayman504's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
Lots of great points in the thread. Let me mention one I've never seen mentioned before:

At least once a game, my defender under the basket ends up getting the ball and chucking a hail mary the length of the court to the other basket. This is because I was controlling another defender with two sticks when the ball changed hands. The use of the stick when the game instantly changes me to control the guy with the ball reads my stick movement as a shot at the basket. but I was still making movement to control the other defender when the game switched it on me.

Does this happen to anyone else?

A similar thing happens when I'm controlling a defender and it appears the ball is loose. I hit "x" on the Xbone to try to dive and recover the loose ball. However, the CPU has already locked my player in an animation to gain control of the ball, even though he does not have it when I hit the button. The result? Once my player has the ball he chuck up a full court shot because the CPU thinks I've hit "x" to shoot the ball.

Very annoying.

I know I could set my controller to only control one player by position but that's also a pain, I like to choose my defender and switch around.

There should be some different shot mechanic, maybe, to take a shot past half court, so user input not meant to be a shot does not become a shot while playing defense.
Something similar happened to me today where I tried to perform a give and go with my center and guard. I threw the ball to my center then tried throwing the ball back to my guard the result? input lag between the pass back to my guard resulted in him heaving it up as soon as he touched it ...VERY ANNOYING
Old 04-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #28
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman504
Something similar happened to me today where I tried to perform a give and go with my center and guard. I threw the ball to my center then tried throwing the ball back to my guard the result? input lag between the pass back to my guard resulted in him heaving it up as soon as he touched it ...VERY ANNOYING
I can never get give and go's to work, never got the hang of them since 2k12 and I don't even try. Alley oops I had more success with, but the CPU changes the post defender's position so fast as you make the input sometimes that the turnover rate is just not worth it, even when itn looks like your guy is in good position. Of course, the CPU can have a post player morph a dozen feet through two defenders for a monster slam, no problem.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #29
MVP

jayman504's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
I can never get give and go's to work, never got the hang of them since 2k12 and I don't even try. Alley oops I had more success with, but the CPU changes the post defender's position so fast as you make the input sometimes that the turnover rate is just not worth it, even when itn looks like your guy is in good position. Of course, the CPU can have a post player morph a dozen feet through two defenders for a monster slam, no problem.
I basically play the game with directional passing (button over the players head) all day long. I know Center is LB PF is Y and etc etc...and that's how I run my passing plays
Old 04-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #30
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman504
I basically play the game with directional passing (button over the players head) all day long. I know Center is LB PF is Y and etc etc...and that's how I run my passing plays
Yeah that's what I do. I occasionally make a flashy pass, but those get risky, and can get sent to the wrong guy really easily.

One other annoying thing about on ball defense (and a few have been mentioned): playing up close to the shooter and getting your hands up does absolutely nothing to disrupt a shot. Only if you can anticipate the shot perfectly and jump to block can you disrupt a shot. Getting close and playing good hands up D doesn't matter. You have to anticipate because if you react to the pulling up on the dribble, the shot block animation takes so long the ball has been rebounded by the time your defender gets up in the air.

Last edited by LorenzoDC; 04-24-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:58 PM   #31
Pro

OVR: 8

I'm inclined to say user-error if you're blocking shots that aren't going to a teammate or out of bounds.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 1

Has anyone had this game play out. Q1:close game Q2: you blow them out by at least 12 Q3: They take a 10 point lead Q4:you quit playing the game?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »