Home

That LaMarcus pick and pop play...

This is a discussion on That LaMarcus pick and pop play... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: That LaMarcus pick and pop play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaateloauto
Just checked, it wasn't last in 2K13. Definitely also faster though.

Here's an example where you can see it's before roll. Back from 2K13 when I used to play in sim leagues. Too bad no such possibility in next-gen.
http://youtu.be/nSs5edtM7g0?t=19m36s

Looked a couple minutes of that game, I saw a play and remembered having it before roll and it being faster to call was so useful to get quick mid range shots. Used to do those all the time. Now I never call a fade because it takes forever and doesn't even work.
Yeah but with the old way it was the roll that would take very long to set up.

Tbh this control scheme is bad. They need to put the p'n'r button back on the right bumper. You press it once, a screen is set and it stays there. Press the right bumper again and the screener rolls. Press it twice quickly and the screener fade. That way you can slip/roll/fade at will and with no delay.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #10
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
Yeah but with the old way it was the roll that would take very long to set up.

Tbh this control scheme is bad. They need to put the p'n'r button back on the right bumper. You press it once, a screen is set and it stays there. Press the right bumper again and the screener rolls. Press it twice quickly and the screener fade. That way you can slip/roll/fade at will and with no delay.
i definitely agree that they need to revamp the pnr controls. but what you described seems a little too busy to me. say what you will about live but they do have a good pnr game: you hold the trigger/bumper to call the screen. the timing of your release determines the action afterwards. if you release it before using the screen then they slip and roll to the basket. if you released while theyre making contact with the defender they roll after they break away. if you hold it until the contact is over they pop.

its not perfect but at least you can react to the defense instead of deciding beforehand what the screener is going to do. personally my favorite pnr controls were in live 09. i always felt in control of what the roll man was going to do. if 2k could go to something like that i would love it.

or they could make the ai intelligent enough to make a good decision after setting the screen. so i can call for the screen but the roll man decides on his own what to do next. but again this only works if the ai is smart enough to read the defensive reaction to the screen.

Last edited by El_Poopador; 04-30-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaateloauto
Just checked, it wasn't last in 2K13. Definitely also faster though.

Here's an example where you can see it's before roll. Back from 2K13 when I used to play in sim leagues. Too bad no such possibility in next-gen.
http://youtu.be/nSs5edtM7g0?t=19m36s

Looked a couple minutes of that game, I saw a play and remembered having it before roll and it being faster to call was so useful to get quick mid range shots. Used to do those all the time. Now I never call a fade because it takes forever and doesn't even work.
Good find. Well I have been playing the current gen version, and the fade is last, but the quick cycling eliminates that being a problem. I mistakenly assumed it had always been that way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
i definitely agree that they need to revamp the pnr controls. but what you described seems a little too busy to me. say what you will about live but they do have a good pnr game: you hold the trigger/bumper to call the screen. the timing of your release determines the action afterwards. if you release it before using the screen then they slip and roll to the basket. if you released while theyre making contact with the defender they roll after they break away. if you hold it until the contact is over they pop.
That would work too but holding a button makes it hard to use the trigger/bumper while doing it. With 'my' scheme you can also use the pick multiple times before making the screener roll/fade. You can also read/and react and instantly make it sleep at will.

Not trying to say this is better but it could very well work. I'd like to try the Live's version though.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #13
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
That would work too but holding a button makes it hard to use the trigger/bumper while doing it. With 'my' scheme you can also use the pick multiple times before making the screener roll/fade. You can also read/and react and instantly make it sleep at will.

Not trying to say this is better but it could very well work. I'd like to try the Live's version though.
that is true; i see multiple screens a lot in the nba and currently theres no way to do that in 2k. i think lives system allows for that but im not sure. your way could definitely work. like i said it just seems busy to me but thats only with me reading it. if it was actually implemented it could be a lot simpler than whats in my head lol.

in any case 2ks current pnr system has to go. the slip/roll/pop action has to be dynamic; you shouldnt have to decide what to do before the screen is even set.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #14
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

I was having the same problems. So I dropped quickness down to 32 and I have player speed at 43. I also dropped the contest shot slider down to 30. I dropped the mid range and 3 point sliders down to 42 to make up for the drop in contesting shots. The defense covers way too much ground on default. This slows it down some and actually makes the mid range game a viable option.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #15
Rookie

pick and pop are good if running plays, just running the fist out cut from the C's playbook, set the play for (Cutter) Green, and start Olynky at PF, when Olynky set the screen for Rondo, drive with Rondo, around 90% of the time the defender will help on the drive, Olynky will fade to the 3pt or mid line (Olynky) is a great 3/mid range shooter, he will be left very wide open... I have great success with them online, they're a great underdog team to use if you don't use elite teams.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2014, 11:07 PM   #16
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Pick and roll/pop on both ends is rarely satisfying, and can be frustrating.

As others have said, sliding, lack of foot planting and slow passes/animation make it too easily coverable

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »