Home

Making Games Is Kind Of HARD...

This is a discussion on Making Games Is Kind Of HARD... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2014, 08:30 AM   #1
Banned

dukebeatsuncagain's Arena

OVR: 24
Making Games Is Kind Of HARD...

People REALLY need to understand that it takes actual humans to make these games...and it is REALLY HARD.

The same problems exist because they essentially have to make a completely new game...and in 1 year no less. They have to start some where, they started with graphics and kept the old formulas for the other stuff. This is an 8 year investment, be an adult, see the long term goal, and understand that they cant just snap their fingers and make a game perfect.

It is super easy for us to sit here on computers and complain and rip 2k, but shoot man they have deadlines, stress, real lives, and they have to make these games in a little over a year. It's honestly insane and I have heard in podcasts developers of other games say. "I don't know how they do it," referring to the yearly cycle of sports games.

And as far as basketball video games is concerned...look at NBA Live 14...THAT is the best any other company can do. 2k has created a whole new basketball universe behind the talent that made this game possible.

Be thankful we have this game and enjoy it for what it is, or you can go play NBA Live 14. Other than that, NOBODY ON EARTH CAN MAKE AN NBA GAME TO THE QUALITY OF 2K14.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
Fino Alla Fine

KingTocco's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Making Games Is Kind Of HARD...

No one is arguing that, I don't think anyone here thought making a video game was easy.

I agree the lack of time they had and the fact that this was a brand new system was a huge factor, all of the games that have come out for the PS4/Xbox One to date have been pretty ehhh IMO. (Even MLB 14 The Show, which people are freaking out about has a lot of bugs) but it's 2K's lack of apparent care for the consumers that have people up in arms.

There is WAY too much VC sprinkled everywhere and there is such a lack of control for the user in this game. The features are so watered down and/or missing that it's unacceptable.

A LOT of basketball is about stat tracking/advance statistics/metrics and this game has AWFUL stat tracking not only for the players/modes but for the users as well.

This thread is just a huge debate waiting to happen
Old 05-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebeatsuncagain
People REALLY need to understand that it takes actual humans to make these games...and it is REALLY HARD.

The same problems exist because they essentially have to make a completely new game...and in 1 year no less. They have to start some where, they started with graphics and kept the old formulas for the other stuff. This is an 8 year investment, be an adult, see the long term goal, and understand that they cant just snap their fingers and make a game perfect.

It is super easy for us to sit here on computers and complain and rip 2k, but shoot man they have deadlines, stress, real lives, and they have to make these games in a little over a year. It's honestly insane and I have heard in podcasts developers of other games say. "I don't know how they do it," referring to the yearly cycle of sports games.

And as far as basketball video games is concerned...look at NBA Live 14...THAT is the best any other company can do. 2k has created a whole new basketball universe behind the talent that made this game possible.

Be thankful we have this game and enjoy it for what it is, or you can go play NBA Live 14. Other than that, NOBODY ON EARTH CAN MAKE AN NBA GAME TO THE QUALITY OF 2K14.
Making game is hard...so is my hard earned ca$h.
Really they're stressing? deadline and real lives? WOW...So is my money. Ever wonder when people go to work, they too have stress and deadlines for making money?

As far as the 1yr-cycle game development. I am sure 2K have made enough money to double the staffs or even do what Activision did if they want, they have people creating the next COD game before the new one even came out and that's how they keep meeting the deadlines and bringing out quality products continuesly year after year. If 2K doesn't want to branch out...then i see them as wanting to keep that extra money in their pockets and not willing to invest into the game development cycle.

Last edited by reptilexcq; 05-14-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
Fino Alla Fine

KingTocco's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilexcq
Making game is hard...so is my hard earned ca$h.
Really they're stressing? deadline and real lives? WOW...So is my money. Ever wonder when people go to work, they too have stress and deadlines for making money?

As far the 1yr-cycle game development. I am sure 2K have made enough money to double the staffs or even do what Activision did if they want, they have people creating the next COD game before the new one even came out and that's how they keep meeting the deadlines and bringing out quality products continuesly year after year. If 2K doesn't want to branch out...then i see them as wanting to keep that extra money in their pockets and not willing to invest into the game development cycle.
I agree with most of what you said but don't come in here saying Activision put out quality products. Those COD games were garbage
Old 05-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
Banned

dukebeatsuncagain's Arena

OVR: 24

All I'm trying to say is that there is a human element behind all of this. Although we play it on a computer, an actual human had to make it. There is going to be mistakes, there is going to be progress as much as progress can be made.

And yes, 100% correct...your hard earned money is important to you. As is mine. But nobody is forcing anyone to spend it on this game. There are many ways to try and get a feel for the quality of a game, based on your personal standards out there to decided if to buy or not.

The lack of user control is due to time. I have full confidence that 2k will bring back all of the assets that made 2k what it is back, as they develop this game for the next-generation.

COD is actually a perfect example. Those games are essentially the same year after year with a few tweaks to make it better than the year before. They did this year after year on Gen 3 until it was time to start over with Gen 4.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

I think the difficulty of making a game is important to remember when we consider certain bugs, exploits, or other unfortunate triggers that are obvious and don't make a lot of sense but remain in the game anyhow. I think in many cases certain inclusions are there because they're difficult to fix or are unable to be fixed.

For example, I've thought that certain awful layup animations have remained in the game only because they're needed to make the game react correctly from certain angles inside (as opposed to 2K just loving certain overused and awful animations). Further, I feel I heard the passing game is not as easy to fix as we wish because that entire mechanic hinges upon a defense's response speed, which hinges upon player momentum, which hinges on numerous other factors. Some seemingly easy fixes actually seem to be a part of a stack of cards.

With all that said, it seems what has the fan base most riled up this year are a lot of the controllable decisions and format alterations 2K chose to impart this year. Omnipresent virtual currency, forced online connectivity, a singular linear storyline for MyPlayer, having to use virtual currency to buy basic general manager rights in MyGM, and many other decisions have caught the gamer's ire, and they have little to do with time constraints or otherwise.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebeatsuncagain

COD is actually a perfect example. Those games are essentially the same year after year with a few tweaks to make it better than the year before. They did this year after year on Gen 3 until it was time to start over with Gen 4.
Well, at least from what I seen, COD games are not plagued with bugs and glitches or the product is rushed...due to time constraint. If you play NBA2K14, you can clearly see it was a rush product.

Last edited by reptilexcq; 05-14-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilexcq
Well, at least from what I seen, COD games are not plagued with bugs and glitches or the product is rushed...due to time constraint. If you play NBA2K14, you can clearly see it was a rush product.
lmao, you're kidding right? Look, i'll say NBA 2k14 definitely has a lot of bugs and problems(especially legacy issues that have been in the game for years). But COD is much the same, which is why i stopped playing it completely and haven't played one since BO2. COD is almost the definition of a rushed product full of bugs and problems.

Also, just because it's hard to make video games doesn't mean people should cut 2k slack. It's a business, they're trying to sell a product, if the consumers aren't satisfied with the product they have every right to complain and be hard on 2k. It's not like they're making the game out of the goodness of their hearts for free lol. They know what they're getting into. I don't think that's a valid point.

Last edited by SPRINGS03; 05-14-2014 at 06:08 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »