Home

Who is the target audience now?

This is a discussion on Who is the target audience now? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2014, 05:58 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Who is the target audience now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySouf
It's very sad to see where 2K has gone. I agree with the OP on the whole Pokemon thing. It seems the game is tailored to the kids that don't really care how the game is played, they would be happy playing with a team full of superstars and run around trying to dunk all game...
I know I totally agree very ftustrating
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_mamba24
Honestly, I skipped Next-Gen 2K this year and bought Last-Gen 2K14 on release day. I didn't expect a simulation basketball game coming from a first year 2K title on the PS4/Xbox One. I'm very glad I bought it. I have all the modes(Association, Practice) and features(create-a-player, create-a-team)that I know and love. Until 2K brings back Association, Creation Features(CAP, CAT), 2K11-style crew, less scripted MyCareer, and the sim ball I used to know from them, bigger and better than ever, I don't think I'll be buying 2K15 Next-Gen.
2k14 on last gen was basically 2k13.
To me it wasn't worth of the money even more than next gen.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #43
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Lol, I didn't say everything...if that were the case, half these threads wouldn't exist...I'm just telling you where to to find what you were asking about. You can look at Belubas recent posts and find a lot of good dialogue Sundown and the rest of us had in the controls thread.. Take a look.
I don't want to bring you down but that happens beacause controls are not relevant to 2k marketing strategy.
The casual gamers won't care about them as long as 2k will give them turbo, dunk and steal buttons
Old 06-18-2014, 04:16 PM   #44
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k
Other game modes wouldn't matter if they game wasn't fun.
Actually it's more "Other game modes wouldn't matter if they don't call for VC usage"
Old 06-18-2014, 04:18 PM   #45
MVP

Sorry to sound negative but I've been very disappointed by 2k choiches in the last 2 years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #46
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzis
2k14 on last gen was basically 2k13.
I disagree. I never enjoyed 2K13. Not enough different outcomes to animations, broken animations, no interior defense, unblockable dunks, terrible passing animations, magnetic defense, getting stuck in the glue on the perimeter when freelancing, Plays breaking, unability to stop the off ball movement non sense, spacing, Jay Z.

2K14 fixed almost all theses things and added new stuff. 2K14 current gen is the best 2K to date in my opinion. A way better and way more polished game than 2K13 was.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #47
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

I agree that association should be brought back. That should be a standard mode in any game and it wasn't a wise decision on 2K's part to remove it. MyGM is a fine addition, but it should be a separate mode, not a replacement for association. I think all yearly-released sports games struggle to be innovative and 2K wanted to try something new in their first next gen title. I appreciate a company taking a few chances and not resting on the laurels, just as long as they listen to the feedback and bring the old association back for those who want it.

Other than that though, I don't see the abandonment of the sim community that some people feel. As their popularity has grown, it's obvious that there has been more focus put into winning over a more casual crowd now that the market is wide open. That's just business. You want to sell as many copies as possible in order to make the biggest profit you can. But I don't see this as abandoning the sim community, just adding in features/modes that will appeal to a broader audience.

While there's always room for improvement, the gameplay captures the nuisances of basketball pretty well. Certainly not perfect, but no game is, or ever will be, a perfect replication of the sport. The controls continue to remain quite complex and are pretty brutal on those who are new to the game. It'd be easy for them to dumb down the controls to accommodate casual players, but they don't. Some animations are too long, and things can be sluggish at times, but they're there to try to give players a sense of weight. It'd be easy for 2K is speed things up in the name of "control responsiveness" for the casual fans (like Madden did years ago), but what that really translates to is removing player locomotion physics and making everything look/feel twitchy, and more arcade-like (one of the gripes I always had with NBA Live). As much as the long animations get under my skin sometimes, I appreciate that the players feel more like real people out there. We also all get pissed when a guy throws a 40-50 foot pass right over a teammates head even though he was wide open, but that's there to keep people from cherry picking all game long. They go overboard with it sometimes, but it's an attempt to get people to play more sim.

The point of all this is that I feel the gameplay is still very much geared towards the simulation crowd. The fact that they are adding things like MyPlayer, MyTeam, and MyGM to appeal more to the casual players doesn't really effect those who want a sim experience (except for the removal of association, which I've already stated needs to be brought back). I play with sliders that I feel replicate the game of basketball well, fire up MyPlayer when I just want to mess around and have fun, and avoid online play altogether unless it's a private team up match. If you don't like the way people play online, or that people spend money to get superstar teams in MyTeam, then simply don't play those modes. If people really want to break a game, figure out a glitch/cheese technique to give themselves a better chance at winning, or just spend money to stack their MyTeam, they will. Just avoid them and you'll be a lot happier. If you do, I think you'll find that the game can be just as fun for sim gamers as it can for casuals. Everyone wins.

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Pokes404; 06-18-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:15 PM   #48
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
I agree that association should be brought back. That should be a standard mode in any game and it wasn't a wise decision on 2K's part to remove it. MyGM is a fine addition, but it should be a separate mode, not a replacement for association. I think all yearly-released sports games struggle to be innovative and 2K wanted to try something new in their first next gen title. I appreciate a company taking a few chances and not resting on the laurels, just as long as they listen to the feedback and bring the old association back for those who want it.

Other than that though, I don't see the abandonment of the sim community that some people feel. As their popularity has grown, it's obvious that there has been more focus put into winning over a more casual crowd now that the market is wide open. That's just business. You want to sell as many copies as possible in order to make the biggest profit you can. But I don't see this as abandoning the sim community, just adding in features/modes that will appeal to a broader audience.

While there's always room for improvement, the gameplay captures the nuisances of basketball pretty well. Certainly not perfect, but no game is, or ever will be, a perfect replication of the sport. The controls continue to remain quite complex and are pretty brutal on those who are new to the game. It'd be easy for them to dumb down the controls to accommodate casual players, but they don't. Some animations are too long, and things can be sluggish at times, but they're there to try to give players a sense of weight. It'd be easy for 2K is speed things up in the name of "control responsiveness" for the casual fans (like Madden did years ago), but what that really translates to is removing player locomotion physics and making everything look/feel twitchy, and more arcade-like (one of the gripes I always had with NBA Live). As much as the long animations get under my skin sometimes, I appreciate that the players feel more like real people out there. We also all get pissed when a guy throws a 40-50 foot pass right over a teammates head even though he was wide open, but that's there to keep people from cherry picking all game long. They go overboard with it sometimes, but it's an attempt to get people to play more sim.

The point of all this is that I feel the gameplay is still very much geared towards the simulation crowd. The fact that they are adding things like MyPlayer, MyTeam, and MyGM to appeal more to the casual players doesn't really effect those who want a sim experience (except for the removal of association, which I've already stated needs to be brought back). I play with sliders that I feel replicate the game of basketball well, fire up MyPlayer when I just want to mess around and have fun, and avoid online play altogether unless it's a private team up match. If you don't like the way people play online, or that people spend money to get superstar teams in MyTeam, then simply don't play those modes. If people really want to break a game, figure out a glitch/cheese technique to give themselves a better chance at winning, or just spend money to stack their MyTeam, they will. Just avoid them and you'll be a lot happier. If you do, I think you'll find that the game can be just as fun for sim gamers as it can for casuals. Everyone wins.

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents.
Man u gotta start playing ranked matches and watch your opponents intentionally run into defenders to get contact layups and easy fouls OR watch them dunk on 4 of your defenders with ease with Kobe Bryant

fighting for truth, justice and SIMULATION gameplay

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »