Home

PS4 version Microtransactions

This is a discussion on PS4 version Microtransactions within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
PS4 version Microtransactions

I plan on buying a PS4 along with 2k14 soon. But I'm wondering if the microtransactions are as egregiously offensive as I've seen written. Any help?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Re: PS4 version Microtransactions

No one is forced to purchase VC, but the layout of different modes and progression promotes it for sure. VC is needed for pretty much everything from raising attributes of your My Player to making your GM better at trade negotiations to buying a headband.

You can absolutely play every mode without having to buy VC, but it's incredibly difficult to enjoy multiple modes or even multiple saves within a single mode that way. Everything is combined into one pool of VC, so if you want to raise your MyGM attributes, you're taking away from the same pool you would use to raise your MyPlayer attributes, which can be seen as both good or bad depending on how you look at it.

The one positive is that things you purchase, such as accessories (headbands, arm sleeves, etc.) carry over from player to player, so they only need to be purchased once, although they are ridiculously overpriced, and you have to buy each color separately. Purchasing a skill for MyGM will also carry over to new saves, which is nice.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tms202
I plan on buying a PS4 along with 2k14 soon. But I'm wondering if the microtransactions are as egregiously offensive as I've seen written. Any help?

They are paramount but not required to enjoy the game however if you plan on playing all three major game modes (MyTeam MyCareer MyGM) but don't plan on pouring 40+ hours into the game you will probably need to spend a little bit of money to really experience everything the game has to offer
Old 07-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Why would you buy 2k14? We are like 2 months away from 2k15.

To your question, yes they are that bad. They are so bad that if it carries over to 2k15, I will either buy Live instead of 2k15 (if its a decent game) or buy 2k15 for the 360. The fact that you need to use VC for stuff like roster moves is ridiculous.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

I gave up on My GM pretty early because of the VC system. I pretty much just stuck to The Park, quick games against the CPU, and online matches. I enjoy NBA 2K a lot, but the way they did VC in 2K14 was horrible. Hopefully they make some changes, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Why would you buy 2k14? We are like 2 months away from 2k15.

To your question, yes they are that bad. They are so bad that if it carries over to 2k15, I will either buy Live instead of 2k15 (if its a decent game) or buy 2k15 for the 360. The fact that you need to use VC for stuff like roster moves is ridiculous.
By soon, I mean this week. And because I really wanna play a basketball game, its like a crazy itch I've gotta scratch. But for roster moves? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
No one is forced to purchase VC, but the layout of different modes and progression promotes it for sure. VC is needed for pretty much everything from raising attributes of your My Player to making your GM better at trade negotiations to buying a headband.

You can absolutely play every mode without having to buy VC, but it's incredibly difficult to enjoy multiple modes or even multiple saves within a single mode that way. Everything is combined into one pool of VC, so if you want to raise your MyGM attributes, you're taking away from the same pool you would use to raise your MyPlayer attributes, which can be seen as both good or bad depending on how you look at it.

The one positive is that things you purchase, such as accessories (headbands, arm sleeves, etc.) carry over from player to player, so they only need to be purchased once, although they are ridiculously overpriced, and you have to buy each color separately. Purchasing a skill for MyGM will also carry over to new saves, which is nice.
Honestly that's ****ing horrible. Seeing as how accessories were free just two years ago.

Even in association mode, you still need VC for accessories? You need VC to trade for players and such?
Old 07-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tms202
By soon, I mean this week. And because I really wanna play a basketball game, its like a crazy itch I've gotta scratch. But for roster moves? Really?

Honestly that's ****ing horrible. Seeing as how accessories were free just two years ago.

Even in association mode, you still need VC for accessories? You need VC to trade for players and such?
My advice is get Gamefly and rent 2k14. Use that money on some of the newer games that are out.

Yes, you need VC to unlock things like roster moves. You dont have to do it every time but you need VC to unlock it.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
My advice is get Gamefly and rent 2k14. Use that money on some of the newer games that are out.

Yes, you need VC to unlock things like roster moves. You dont have to do it every time but you need VC to unlock it.
I haven't touched a video game controller in all of 2014. But you're right, it may be time to renew that gamefly subscription.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »