Home

How to play better defense?

This is a discussion on How to play better defense? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2014, 04:35 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: How to play better defense?

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ainst-cpu.html.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k13
Op it seems like u are new to basketball period with the questions you are asking. I hope u have at least completed training camp mode
Is there something wrong with being new to basketball?
Old 08-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #11
Banned

RogerBlack's Arena

OVR: 0

How to play better defense...

1 - Uninistall NBA 2k14
2 - Then re-install NBA 2k11
3 - Bob's Your Uncle
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #12
Pro

OVR: 2

I can play defense against de CPU even on high difficulty settings, but it is almost impossible to play defense against another human Online (specially skilled cheesers), but above all "on the ball" defense is an utopia online... that's what makes me sick about this NBA 2k14 next gen...

Any real sim requires a lot of time to master it, but this game is just a casuals oriented one, any guy just can pick it up and play and be quite effective without having a clue about real basketball (strategies, etc.)... So sad.

Cheers!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBrayden
Hi, I just started playing NBA 2K recently (actually, 2K14 is my first ever 2K game.), I started my first mycareer as a PG who got drafted to the Jazz and I'm pretty good at offense but I am terrible at defense.
I usually hold the left trigger, get close to a guy, and push the right stick towards them to get my hands in their face. I don't know if it's my speed, but these guys can shake me off with some dribble moves. Any tips on how to play D?

I also am new to play calling too.
What are the differences between, 2-3, 3-2, 1-3-1 zones? When should I call those? When should I call man-to-man? What should I call for transitions, full court pressure? Half court pressure?

Thanks for any help!
One of my past school teachers always used to say " never be ashamed to ask a question " so anyone who tries to look good/cool by trying to poke fun at a person for asking a legitimate question is a pure and total moron...my tip for you would be to get into learning about the point of emphasis menu, you can set these on the fly or before the game starts. Also in this game timeouts are your friend, and if you dont use them properly the game will kill your momentum ( on offense and defense ) and make everything that you try to do not go your way, that could be part of your problem. Try to call timeouts as if you were a real coach in the n.b.a ( trust me , if you call timeouts in a realistic way, the game will almost always look out for you ). Hope that helps and good luck gaming.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard-ian
I can play defense against de CPU even on high difficulty settings, but it is almost impossible to play defense against another human Online (specially skilled cheesers), but above all "on the ball" defense is an utopia online... that's what makes me sick about this NBA 2k14 next gen...

Any real sim requires a lot of time to master it, but this game is just a casuals oriented one, any guy just can pick it up and play and be quite effective without having a clue about real basketball (strategies, etc.)... So sad.

Cheers!
Its not impossible. I played a guy on MyTeam who had a team full of 90s and he only beat me by 5.

If you know how to play basketball then you can win. You just have be willing to take your time and adjust.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:23 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealHST
Its not impossible. I played a guy on MyTeam who had a team full of 90s and he only beat me by 5.

If you know how to play basketball then you can win. You just have be willing to take your time and adjust.
No, I disagree. You cannot play proper on ball defense in this game due to the connection and input lags online, it's simply impossible. You have to rely on team defense and this is also way too disadvantaged against some overpowered offensive movements...

Yes, you can win some games online playing real basketball, even trying to defend on the ball, but if you do, it's just because you didn't play a skilled cheeser...

Cheers! ;-)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #16
MVP

If you're playing man to man, make sure to switch to offball at times to check on other defensive assignments. Your teammates have a tendency to sag off or leave their assignments for no reason, so you have to pay attention and kind of baby sit them to make sure people stay covered.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »