Home

How to play better defense?

This is a discussion on How to play better defense? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
All-Pro

ATLBrayden's Arena

OVR: 18
How to play better defense?

Hi, I just started playing NBA 2K recently (actually, 2K14 is my first ever 2K game.), I started my first mycareer as a PG who got drafted to the Jazz and I'm pretty good at offense but I am terrible at defense.
I usually hold the left trigger, get close to a guy, and push the right stick towards them to get my hands in their face. I don't know if it's my speed, but these guys can shake me off with some dribble moves. Any tips on how to play D?

I also am new to play calling too.
What are the differences between, 2-3, 3-2, 1-3-1 zones? When should I call those? When should I call man-to-man? What should I call for transitions, full court pressure? Half court pressure?

Thanks for any help!

My NBA 2K19 Lakers Dynasty -https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-nba-2k19.html

PSN: GetYourSwooshOn
XBL: Gunslinger7O2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2014, 11:57 PM   #2
Banned

steelers99_58_36's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: How to play better defense?

Know what the player your guarding is good at. If he is good at shooting play him tight, if he is a good finisher at the rim play him loose and try not to let him drive. If he is a faster player you can also hold the right trigger while you hold the left trigger to move faster while doing the intense-d move. As for the right stick nonsense, I don't normally use it I find it useless. Stick to man defense.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

Honestly, if they're not a three-point shooter, sag off. The CPU can change directions on a dime, so you need the extra space to react. And learn to deal with disappointment lol. A lot of times, even if you play great on-ball defense, they're going to get by you. I find it very difficult to trigger a contact animation when I'm on defense; the ball-handler tends to slide off of me like the greased-up deaf guy.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
Pro

YungGun's Arena

In MyCareeer I play PG as well and have been running a 3-2 zone and its been working pretty well. I still run man but it gets irritating when the CPU forces itself into the pain and I received. Overall you just gotta mix it up and see what works.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Learn when to use intense D and when not to (which is most of the time). At the start it is easy to think of it as auto defense but it gets you in a lot of trouble.

It may take time, but learn how to get position and beat your man to the spot. Stay in front of him using the stick and if you need to tap the intense d button to get yourself faced up properly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2014, 08:06 PM   #6
MVP

jersez's Arena

OVR: 15

This video might help

Old 07-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Lets get real here guys. Theres only so much you can do theres so much cheese in this game especially with sig skills that make great players unstoppable. If you can play defense but if they have posterizer they'll ignore your defense and rise over the big man "under the rim"
Old 08-01-2014, 01:03 AM   #8
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

Op it seems like u are new to basketball period with the questions you are asking. I hope u have at least completed training camp mode

fighting for truth, justice and SIMULATION gameplay

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »