Home

2K14 is Take Two's BEST Selling Sports Game ever

This is a discussion on 2K14 is Take Two's BEST Selling Sports Game ever within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #25
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
2K14 is Take Two's BEST Selling Sports Game ever

Ya'll need to start using 'hardcore basketball simulation gamers' instead of fans...

because plenty of b-ball heads from professional players to guys who ball weekly enjoy the game despite it's flaws....it is a game after all...

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 08-06-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: 2K14 is Take Two's BEST Selling Sports Game ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
I have a love/hate attitude toward this way of thinking. On one hand, there were no patches or roster updates in old-school games. On the other hand, that meant they needed to release a game that worked from the start. More time was spent making sure everything was right from the beginning, rather than releasing an unfinished product and saying "we can patch it later."

This is my personal opinion, but for me, those 20 things I hate would far outweigh the 40 things I love. The reason is that those 20 things would most likely be core gameplay and AI issues that affect every aspect of the game, while the 40 things could be nice, but I wouldn't be too bothered if they weren't there or not as polished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
That's my issue. All those things you named are off-the-court experiences. On the court, they did essentially "take the PS3 version and cleaned up the graphics and throw it on the PS4/Xbox One." The vast majority of my issues with the game are on the court.
yes the added experimental features in nextgen are nice, I accept that they have flaws. But the problem is, they took out features that present in current gen. Having you pay full retail and expect you to spend more money on VC on a game that's useless without internet even if you don't play online games
Old 08-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #27
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

It still amazes me that, in the United States, a basketball game can outsell a football game.

The popularity of the two sports isn't close, in terms of U.S. television ratings.
The NBA Finals has averaged around a 10.0 Nielson rating since 2010, while the NFL's Sunday night NBC games have been drawing around a 20.0 rating for the last four years.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #28
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Don't even know why ppl bother arguing this anymore lol
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #29
Rookie

malowry's Arena

OVR: 3

I probably have less experience with 2K than most people here. I picked up 2K8 in a bargain bin a few years back, and made it a yearly purchase starting with 2K13. I fully intend on preordering 2K15. But if 2K doesn't get much better this year, and Live keeps improving, my money is going to be up for grabs.

My biggest problem with 2K14 was the lack of HDD saving. I went without Internet for several months earlier this year. Couldn't be helped. But this meant that my $60 game, my main game on the PS4, basically became a brick because 2K wants you to load your save games from their crappy servers. This also leads to concerns about what happens to 2K14 in the coming years. If they shut off the servers, the game will break. No access to your MyPlayer, MyCareer, MyGM, MyTeam, nothing. You'll have the prettiest NBA quick game simulator around, and that's it.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #30
MVP

jersez's Arena

OVR: 15

I think the expectations for next gen 2k14 were too high, well at least for me. Current gen was fantastic and assuming a new engine would fix the many legacy issues, it was hard not to think of how great next gen would be. My view of 2k14 only changed recently until I played 2k11, 2k11 has many flaws in it's gameplay, it relies on canned animations for almost everything, canned animations really doesn't require a high skill level to use. Going back and seeing the gameplay progress 2k has made throughout the years, I really appreciate the hard work the developers have put in. However I still play 2k14 and I just smh at the glitches and unpolished areas of gameplay, I've really learned to accept that no game will be perfect, but that doesn't mean it still can't be great, so going forward with 2k15 and live 15 I've already accepted they'll be flawed.

Last edited by jersez; 08-06-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #31
Rookie

mightyrx's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
It still amazes me that, in the United States, a basketball game can outsell a football game.

The popularity of the two sports isn't close, in terms of U.S. television ratings.
The NBA Finals has averaged around a 10.0 Nielson rating since 2010, while the NFL's Sunday night NBC games have been drawing around a 20.0 rating for the last four years.
A lot of folks (including myself) have eschewed buying that football game because of the lack, or failure, to properly implement core concepts...
Making up Evidence Depending on Information Available
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by malowry
I probably have less experience with 2K than most people here. I picked up 2K8 in a bargain bin a few years back, and made it a yearly purchase starting with 2K13. I fully intend on preordering 2K15. But if 2K doesn't get much better this year, and Live keeps improving, my money is going to be up for grabs.

My biggest problem with 2K14 was the lack of HDD saving. I went without Internet for several months earlier this year. Couldn't be helped. But this meant that my $60 game, my main game on the PS4, basically became a brick because 2K wants you to load your save games from their crappy servers. This also leads to concerns about what happens to 2K14 in the coming years. If they shut off the servers, the game will break. No access to your MyPlayer, MyCareer, MyGM, MyTeam, nothing. You'll have the prettiest NBA quick game simulator around, and that's it.
if 2k15 doesn't have HDD saving, I might skip it. I'll be leaving the US soon and I'll move to a country where internet sucks. In nextgen 2k14, every move you make connects to server. I have fast internet right now yet the navigating around the game is soooo slow + 2k servers on a regular basis.

I'm guessing what they'll do is if and when they have low sales on current yr game, they'll kill the servers of last years game to force you to buy the new game

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »