Home

2K14 is Take Two's BEST Selling Sports Game ever

This is a discussion on 2K14 is Take Two's BEST Selling Sports Game ever within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #49
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: 2K14 is Take Two's BEST Selling Sports Game ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
You seem to hate all the complaining so at some point one would think you would use your own advice on yourself and move on but you don't. People constantly complaining about complainers don't bring much to the forum themselves. I don't even think the forum is that bad. Look at the last 10 pages there isn't even that many complaining threads.

It's just like people saying that the forum isn't like what it used to, there isn't as many gameplay threads blablabla. Well, how about you make threads ? Where are they ?

We're all responsible for what the forum is like and only the positivity will fight the negativity. If you're complaining about complainers you're basically complaining about yourself.
I don't hate the complaining. I just don't see the logic in complaining about the same things over and over. And never wanting to give the game credit. The OP created a thread about 2K's successes - and unfortunately some people felt the need to discredit it in whatever ways they could. If people want to constantly complain - as some do - they can cry all they want to. To me it doesn't seem to make sense putting the game down to the degree it gets put down by some, but they continue to purchase it.

If someone's mad basketball videogames haven't evolved to the degree they feel they should've, anger should be directed at both 2K AND NBA Live. 2K doesn't have an exclusive license on making NBA games nor preventing anyone from making one. So blame all basketball game makers equally if that's your beef. Instead you have people taking out most of their frustrations on 2K for whatever reason.

As far as 2K "removing" features, they can't remove something that was never there to begin with. Unlike every other next gen launch game, good or bad NBA2K14 was distinctly different from it's current gen counterpart. They attempted to give people a true next gen experience and some have chosen to jump down their throats for not taking the route everyone else did. Which is everyone's right if they choose to do so. Personally I choose to be excited about where the game may go, rather than flip out about what they managed to deliver while attempting to do two very disparate game releases in the same year within months of each other.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 08-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 4

If you look at the current threads about gameplay, it usually evolves into a therapy session for disappointed gamers about something they absolutely hate that borderline has nothing to do with the thread. THat's why I stopped posting. I didn't want to be one of the complaining about the complainers guys lol.

I like people that speak with their wallet. SPRINGS03 said he only buys used. He is speaking with his wallet. spankdatazz22 stated that he bought Madden once in 8 years, that is speaking with your wallet. I believe thats the way to make a change. I secretly hope that Live '15 is spectacular this year so a lot of the posters that had thousands of issues with 2K14 can have a respectable alternative. I think it makes the board better.

Then the rest of us can constructively talk about ways to improve the game without getting so angry about it. Just because we have a wish list doesn't mean the developers can feasibly put everything in the game we ask for. In programing every action has a reaction, and the reaction may not be something that is expected. That's why patches sometimes mess up other parts of the game.

My wish list for 2K15? Association mode return, create a player ( a real one lol), better passing and defensive rebounding, stable servers, a better "Park" experience, a real crew mode and maybe the return of the D league. Those were my personal issues with the game. But I will pay $60 in a heartbeat for 2K15 because overall I enjoy the game

Last edited by jadert; 08-06-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #51
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I don't hate the complaining. I just don't see the logic in complaining about the same things over and over.
Similarly, I believe some folks may be saying they do not understand the logic of constantly complaining about folks complaining.

Quote:
And never wanting to give the game credit.
Quote:
The OP created a thread about 2K's successes - and unfortunately some people felt the need to discredit it in whatever ways they could.
I believe some people have an opinion that 2K14 did not meet their expectations or standards. For whatever it's worth, it did not meet my standards (standards set by previous 2K games) and henceforth, I did not make a purchase. Considering the number of folks disappointed with 2K14's showing and the evidence people have used to support their disappointed claims (mass non-existence of modes we've come to accept as being second nature & forced online reliance, to name two biggies), I think it's worthy and understandable to discuss the possible or perceived incongruence between 2K14's quality and the amount of units moved.

I do not believe that means, to use your quote, "never wanting to give the game credit." I didn't like ESPN NBA Basketball 2004 but I still gave it credit for what it did right. It's just, what it didn't do right far outweighed the good. As in, "I like the ESPN presentation, but why do blocked shots suddenly have contrails?" Or, "I like the iso-motion controls, but why is Chauncey Billups double-pump reversing over Kenyon Martin?" Many agreed, points were raised & made, and 2K was working back toward creating a good product once again in 2K5.

Similarly, many feel there's some perceived bad in 2K14, so people move for change. Their words may all be for naught, but maybe not. If I were a betting man, I'd say the change in tone within the 2K forum over the last couple of years (I've never seen so many folks "guarded" about an NBA 2K purchase here) has a better chance of affecting change than if everyone just silently accepted the game's dramatic shift and resigned themselves to its shortcomings and skewed decisions.

Quote:
If people want to constantly complain - as some do - they can cry all they want to. To me it doesn't seem to make sense putting the game down to the degree it gets put down by some, but they continue to purchase it.
It can be a tough cycle for some to break. 2K was such an automatic acquisition every year for me that it almost just became routine. It'd been so normal that I thought it'd be too abnormal to not own the new 2K. Still, as you know, I did not purchase 2K14, and everything turned out fine. I lived. I believe others got to that point as well and will continue to do so if the game's current direction remains. That said, it likely won't stop us from hoping and waiting for the game to re-acquire more of the roots we so valued during the majority of their run through the '00's and early '10s.

Quote:
If someone's mad basketball videogames haven't evolved to the degree they feel they should've, anger should be directed at both 2K AND NBA Live. 2K doesn't have an exclusive license on making NBA games nor preventing anyone from making one. So blame all basketball game makers equally if that's your beef. Instead you have people taking out most of their frustrations on 2K for whatever reason.
I believe this may largely be due to the fact that this is a 2K forum and henceforth it is likely full of folks who've been fans of the 2K series (for over a decade in some cases). Personally, I've felt that Live's been an inferior product for a long time. I loved that 2K seemed to roll how I'd hope a basketball video game would roll. Once they began switching things up with the well-documented "My" push (and VC, and autosave, and forced cloud, etc.), I was bummed, because that then left me with no viable NBA video game options. I felt 2K was incredible and had the potential to continue being as such, so I'm disappointed they shifted away from a lot of aspects that'd continue to go toward creating what I felt would be a quality game.

Quote:
As far as 2K "removing" features, they can't remove something that was never there to begin with. Unlike every other next gen launch game, good or bad NBA2K14 was distinctly different from it's current gen counterpart. They attempted to give people a true next gen experience and some have chosen to jump down their throats for not taking the route everyone else did.
And, in people's opinions, a lot of that next-gen experience was not something they enjoyed, largely due to aspects not included that they figured would undoubtedly be included (already referenced numerous times above).

Quote:
Personally I choose to be excited about where the game may go, rather than flip out about what they managed to deliver while attempting to do two very disparate game releases in the same year within months of each other.
A lot of us want to be excited as well. But it has to be authentic. If 2K releases news about the glorious return of VC and more Diamond card collections, I wish I could just pretend to like it. Unfortunately, those things have nothing to do with what I want in an authentic NBA simulation. It's not where I want a simulation basketball game to go so it'd be tough to force excitement in that regard.

Last edited by VDusen04; 08-06-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #52
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Meh, just because some folks don't come in here daily and make their 100th different version of the same exact complaint post...or think of creative VC jokes...doesn't mean they think the game is flawless....

We see what most of Coach 2k's strategy threads turned into...it's not for a lack of trying...It just is what it is...
Don't worry... as aholbert said... the cleanse is coming, and its going to be devastating and raw.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:41 PM   #53
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Similarly, I believe some folks may be saying they do not understand the logic of constantly complaining about folks complaining.

I believe some people have an opinion that 2K14 did not meet their expectations or standards. For whatever it's worth, it did not meet my standards (standards set by previous 2K games) and henceforth, I did not make a purchase. Considering the number of folks disappointed with 2K14's showing and the evidence people have used to support their disappointed claims (mass non-existence of modes we've come to accept as being second nature & forced online reliance, to name two biggies), I think it's worthy and understandable to discuss the possible or perceived incongruence between 2K14's quality and the amount of units moved.
It.was.a.launch.game. I'm not trying to use that as an excuse nor am I going to keep repeating myself, but geez - for supposedly seasoned gamers, I'd think most people would know there are certain risks inherent with being an early adopter. Or that many launch games aren't as fully featured as their previous generation counterparts. AGAIN - for supposed long time fans to jump down 2K's throats for trying to give people a legitimate next gen experience, in a year where they tried to do two very distinct releases - I'm willing to give them credit for what they attempted to do even if they fell short.

By most accounts at the next gen game's release, they delivered the best playing basketball game to date. I can understand the frustrations with not having an Association mode, the virtual currency issues, or feeling like MyGM was too scripted. But on some level, as a consumer you bear some responsibility in making an informed purchasing decision. The whole "it's a tough cycle to break" view is simply trying to alleviate some of the responsibility that lies with the consumer imo.

Sorry for not appropriately responding to the rest of your post but it gets tiring to stay on this same merry-go-round; if you want to hate on the game knock yourself out. I'll just say kudos again to 2K for their achievement with 2K14.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 08-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #54
MVP

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Don't worry... as aholbert said... the cleanse is coming, and its going to be devastating and raw.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:15 AM   #55
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
It.was.a.launch.game. I'm not trying to use that as an excuse nor am I going to keep repeating myself, but geez - for supposedly seasoned gamers, I'd think most people would know there are certain risks inherent with being an early adopter. Or that many launch games aren't as fully featured as their previous generation counterparts. AGAIN - for supposed long time fans to jump down 2K's throats for trying to give people a legitimate next gen experience, in a year where they tried to do two very distinct releases - I'm willing to give them credit for what they attempted to do even if they fell short.
As we've covered in the past, I think the issues for many go well beyond the next-gen launch title. 2K13 began to show signs of a direction change and that alerted some to the potential for 2K14 to skew further from the development team's prior missions and goals. I believe many are now trying to decipher which perceived lackluster portions of 2K14 were due to being a launch title and which had to do with a cognizant direction change consistent with their Virtual Currency and MyTeam push. Either way, being a launch title doesn't necessarily make one feel any better about the absence of things like local saves and create-a-player.

Quote:
By most accounts at the next gen game's release, they delivered the best playing basketball game to date. I can understand the frustrations with not having an Association mode, the virtual currency issues, or feeling like MyGM was too scripted. But on some level, as a consumer you bear some responsibility in making an informed purchasing decision. The whole "it's a tough cycle to break" view is simply trying to alleviate some of the responsibility that lies with the consumer imo.
I agree through and through. People must be responsible for their purchases. I was not trying to excuse 2K purchasing, I was just trying to explain it. When 2K14 approached, my mind initially said, "But I always buy 2K." But then, my logic kicked in and I made a decision I found to be in my best interest (i.e. not buying 2K14).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2014, 12:56 AM   #56
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Think 2k15 will sell even more . Return of crew for current gen . Im sure they have something big for next gen . Can't wait for the reveal via Kevin Durants instagram
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »