Home

NBA2K15 running (sprinting) animation issue

This is a discussion on NBA2K15 running (sprinting) animation issue within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #17
MVP

Eman5805's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: NBA2K15 running (sprinting) animation issue

The main problem I have is the system has trouble with the minute and quick, little movements. Like try to take a couple steps in any directon, then try to quickly go the other way and it takes a while. Like use turbo, let go, then try to make a quick change of direction with a fast player. It looks totally unnatural. Guys should be able to explode after planting their foot when changing direction.

And big, slow players run the same way big fast players would. Chris Smoove brought it up as an issue. Granted, Tiago Splitter aint exactly Omer Asik, but he ain't Anthony Davis or David Robinson in his prime neither.

Last edited by Eman5805; 08-17-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #18
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatGD12guage
Remember when I was saying how it would be dope if you 2k add sig turbo running animations and using the sensitivity on the left stick for turbo(walk to gradual sprint) would free up the turbo button/right trigger well heres a few of the possibilities and combos they can hopefully consider by just setting turbo free.
Using the L stick for sensitivity is a wonderful idea! Maybe Mike and the gang dabbled with the idea already and felt that we're not ready for it yet. Then again it should come naturally for us gamers since 3rd person games should have trained everyone here on L stick sensitivity.

Slow movement with the stick walk
Full motion Run
Old 08-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaynogamez
The control is not broken, it's the clunky running animation we want them to get rid of and bring a more dynamic, modern and consistent look. also it should be more responsive and no more delay. Right now in NBA2K14 when you press turbo the player doest automatically runs there is a bit of delay. Once he starts the running animation it looks good but after 2 or 3 second he starts running like an old man clumsy, as if his back hurt or something . It doesn't make sense and looks ugly why?.

Im glad ppl finally care enough about this to bring it to 2k's attention b/c for a couple of yrs I thought I was alone on the turbo issue and how unnatural it felt and how ugly it looked.

but if you get rid of the turbo and make the left stick sensitive, think about it when you want to walk in NBA 2k14 you already have to feather the left stick and if you push it forward more he picks up speed (ANYBODY notice how natural and smooth it looks and feels in nba 2k14 to go from walking to jogging?)

Its just that if you want to go even faster you have to push turbo which does not even feel natural to me anyway. I think we have gotten to a certain point in gaming to where we need to leave turbo in the past. It would be an adjustment that many would probably be afraid of but i think it would be beneficial in the long run.

You shouldnt be able to just push a button and 1,2 step burst into full speed.

Either way I would be satisfied with VNI's idea of the button push for turbo, on offense anyway(but how would that work on D VNI?) or the sensitivity of the left stick from walk to jog to gradual sprint either way it would give us a better sense of real acceleration.

As long as they get rid of the turbo im great b/c it could give them so many more things to implement for more control. B/c on these next gen systems turbo to me has become out dated in sports games.

Last edited by DatGD12guage; 08-17-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 0

They'll need way more than 5 animations, but they do need to redo the running with the ball at full speed animation. They also need several animations for wings and post players.

No way to really get it accurate but some of these PG's can get up the court in 3/4 well placed dribbles...I've seen John Wall/Derrick Rose/Westbrook get from one side to other with 4 stride type dribbles

Maybe they should add more "stride" animation...
I like how they added throwing the ball up the court, but the fact there is no variation per player makes me sad lol but really...

I'm sure Mike and those sim guys have looked into this but it's more complicated than we know/think

SIDENOTE about turbo delay. 2k does have a slight delay but it also might be your TV to game input delay & not 2k if you're on a HD setup. Also watch where the ball is before you press turbo.

If you input a command before the ball touches the player the command won't read or if it's on the way back up it's going to read late and seem like it's delayed. REALLY it's us, the user, mashing the buttons in relation to what we want to happen VS what can only happen if the player has the ball...

Try waiting until the player has the ball to turbo or input your other dribble command. Don't input too many commands at once and remember the left & the right stick controls dribbling so whenever you move it, it reads as a command input, so it can't read pressing 2 buttons at the same time unless they're supposed to be pressed (ala fake pass/alley oop)

Last edited by 24ct; 08-17-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Using the L stick for sensitivity is a wonderful idea! Maybe Mike and the gang dabbled with the idea already and felt that we're not ready for it yet. Then again it should come naturally for us gamers since 3rd person games should have trained everyone here on L stick sensitivity.

Slow movement with the stick walk
Full motion Run

I dont see how not b/c already in NBA 2k14 you have to feather the stick to walk and you go from walk to jog not to mention you have to feather the stick to walk in order to perform particular crossovers so ppl are more warmed up to it than they think LOL but like you said they could always give us the option like madden had.

Its just taking up so much space b/c that button could be used as a modifier for so many other things and I GUARANTEE the transitions from walk to sprint would be much smoother like everybody wants b/c you are not PRESSING A BUTTON for a particular animation to go faster, thats what causes it to be jerky and not smooth.

If someone can post how smooth it is, pop in NBA 2k14 right now and walk and then jog(dont press turbo) and see how smooth and natural it feels now just imagine that going to a sprint without pressing turbo thats all im saying.

Mike Wang where you at man! Is this correct?

Last edited by DatGD12guage; 08-17-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

I actually really like the running/dribbling in 2K.. It's not perfect, but compared to the alternative it's great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2014, 08:11 PM   #23
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatGD12guage
I dont see how not b/c already in NBA 2k14 you have to feather the stick to walk and you go from walk to jog not to mention you have to feather the stick to walk in order to perform particular crossovers so ppl are more warmed up to it than they think LOL but like you said they could always give us the option like madden had.

Its just taking up so much space b/c that button could be used as a modifier for so many other things and I GUARANTEE the transitions from walk to sprint would be much smoother like everybody wants b/c you are not PRESSING A BUTTON for a particular animation to go faster, thats what causes it to be jerky and not smooth.

If someone can post how smooth it is, pop in NBA 2k14 right now and walk and then jog(dont press turbo) and see how smooth and natural it feels now just imagine that going to a sprint without pressing turbo thats all im saying.

Mike Wang where you at man! Is this correct?
I've actually re-worked the sprint dribble since the build you're seeing from Gamescom and it is a lot smoother now. So that's a plus.

As for getting rid of the Sprint modifier altogether... We've actually done some prototyping in which we removed Turbo from the controls and it felt really foreign to me. 2 other basketball games have tried it that I know of and they both sucked. Not saying it can't be done... but change of speed is very important to basketball and I'm not sure the masses are ready for stick feathering to get walk, jog, run, and sprint all just with an analog stick. I'm intrigued by the "explosive step" idea though. That's always how I envisioned turbo being... at least while dribbling.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:15 PM   #24
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
I've actually re-worked the sprint dribble since the build you're seeing from Gamescom and it is a lot smoother now. So that's a plus.

As for getting rid of the Sprint modifier altogether... We've actually done some prototyping in which we removed Turbo from the controls and it felt really foreign to me. 2 other basketball games have tried it that I know of and they both sucked. Not saying it can't be done... but change of speed is very important to basketball and I'm not sure the masses are ready for stick feathering to get walk, jog, run, and sprint all just with an analog stick. I'm intrigued by the "explosive step" idea though. That's always how I envisioned turbo being... at least while dribbling.

I'll just say it. NBA elite tried that garbage and it was the worst idea for a basketball I've seen implemented in a long time.

Please don't do that. I do however agree the launch and time of being able to move needed to be tweaked a lot because it was frustrating especially defense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »