Home

Was the dribble stick or old school isomotion more realistic?

This is a discussion on Was the dribble stick or old school isomotion more realistic? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2014, 07:19 AM   #25
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Was the dribble stick or old school isomotion more realistic?

NBA 2k11\12 were probably the smoothest versions of isomotion we had. I was fan of the signature gathers\face ups too....but even though they were nice looking, they were set animations....you couldn't break out of them.

I prefer the dribble stick...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #26
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

The problem with 2K12 is that you could travel and double dribble like crazy when using the signature gathers and branching out of them at any point and keep dribbling.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
NBA 2k11\12 were probably the smoothest versions of isomotion we had. I was fan of the signature gathers\face ups too....but even though they were nice looking, they were set animations....you couldn't break out of them.

I prefer the dribble stick...
yeah you could...that was the BEST part about them. Were you playing the same 2k as i was?
I understand theres a difference between the dribble stick movement where you have way more control over the left right left, dribbling, but from playing 2k11 religiously, i can tell you one of them gems of mastering the dribble system and setting yourself apart from the rest of the pack was realizing you could cancel out alot of the dribble animations and go into other dribble moves

It was sort of like a combo. The Art of canceling your dribble animation is no different than Playing fighting games like street fighter or Tekken and canceling moves, and going into super combos. Basic videogaming 101.

Heres an example:

Now here's one of the better examples of how to combo and cancel dribbling versus human Opponents in NBA 2K11.

I Hope this helps you understand where I'm coming from. I believe this is what we sorely need back into the 2k Franchise. Isomotion was the best...dribble stick is ok....but..not nearly the same.

Last edited by Mrleaderboards; 08-25-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:17 AM   #28
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Was the dribble stick or old school isomotion more realistic?

Oh I definitely played my share of 2k11. In both of these videos, you still had to wait until that initial animation was done...(In fact, the first video you posted says that it would initiate a "dribble animation"). Whenever you held LT and hit left or right, that initial dribble move was set before you could explode..

Some players had quick ones, some were a little bit longer...but you couldn't break out of them...
Old 08-25-2014, 08:41 AM   #29
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Oh I definitely played my share of 2k11. In both of these videos, you still had to wait until that initial animation was done...(In fact, the first video you posted says that it would initiate a "dribble animation"). Whenever you held LT and hit left or right, that initial dribble move was set before you could explode..

Some players had quick ones, some were a little bit longer...but you couldn't break out of them...
What's one of the complaints about 2k? Oh that's right....I don't have any control of my player because it's too animation heavy. smh....I'd take controls over everything rather than watch a "mini movie" (Mike/Beluba used those words as well)
Old 08-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #30
Banned

So i guess the solution would be t bring back the old isomotion system, mixed with the freestyle ability of the right stick dribbling and have iso gathers, setups, and crossovers that can be cancelled out at every point during the animations....without it looking like NBA Live...lol

If 2k can get the isomotion to work like this, then we are in business!!!

Old 08-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #31
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrleaderboards
So i guess the solution would be t bring back the old isomotion system, mixed with the freestyle ability of the right stick dribbling and have iso gathers, setups, and crossovers that can be cancelled out at every point during the animations....without it looking like NBA Live...lol

If 2k can get the isomotion to work like this, then we are in business!!!

We're not that far away from that...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
Btw have you ever seen a player in real life do that hesitation behind the back move like in 2K ? I never have.

Most behind the backs look completely unrealistc. Another thing that looked way better in 2K11.
ummm sure have...the best ball handler in the league does it quite often actually.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »