Home

NBA 2K15: Tweet From Scott O'Gallagher Claims 1-3-1 and Charge Cheese Eliminated

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15: Tweet From Scott O'Gallagher Claims 1-3-1 and Charge Cheese Eliminated within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2014, 03:15 AM   #49
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: NBA 2K15: Tweet From Scott O'Gallagher Claims 1-3-1 and Charge Cheese Elminated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ32
At first glance I was about to jump for joy, but then I realized, its not just these two exploits, the game was filled with gameplay issues such as PASSING, cumbersome animation playouts that cause turnovers/backcourts/out of bouds, sliding, warping, spacing, cheap defensive ai, exc. But the biggest issue is this momentum crap being implemented into all these sports games. I want my skill to dictate the outcomes not cpu generated dicerolls. I want to know that if I execute proficiently while my opponent plays one on one while jacking up contested shots all game I am going to have a LARGE advantage. I frequently would be in back in forth battles in 14 even while getting a good shot nearly every possession while my opponent would be taking low percentage shots the majority of the time.
2k11 was the most skilled based 2k for me. Of course it had its flaws. But Sim/skill wise....you could tell the good from the bad.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:18 AM   #50
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

Re: NBA 2K15: Tweet From Scott O'Gallagher Claims 1-3-1 and Charge Cheese Elminated

Quote:
Originally Posted by knick9
I actually liked playing against the 1-3-1 because I would run plays with shooters in the corners, drive and kick.

The real problem was the unrealistic defensive recovery speed and reaction. Quick releases were a must.
My plays would always reset when going against the 1 3 1. I could never run plays against it, I had to freestyle it all the time.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:28 AM   #51
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Im curious why pro teams don't use it?

Im guessing the sheer number of corner shooters would render it obsolete. NBA players will pick apart any zone if you play it for too long. And most players are too good to be sucked in by traps.

Still, I dont see much of it even as a change up
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2014, 03:34 AM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGSPORTS
What’s good SimNation?!

I apologize for not posting in here earlier. Anyway… let’s talk about the removal of the 1-3-1 cheddar! As many of you have posted in here, it’s not a defense that NBA teams play. This wasn’t even a hard decision, to be honest. We knew it had to be taken out. I’ve been fortunate enough to speak with over half of the coaches in the league and they have all communicated the same message, “Nobody in league plays a straight 1-3-1.” This includes Doc Rivers, who we spoke with last week. Let us understand that the 1-3-1 that was in 2k14 was the same scheme that you would see in college hoops. I could go on and on for why teams don’t use it.

I’m big into ranked matches; anyone who’s played online knows that whenever your opponent got in trouble, he would go right to that cheddar zone! There’s obviously other reasons why that zone was so effective, though we will break down those improvements later. I’m very pleased to see the responses thus far for removing it.

“X’s and O’s”
I think what may confuse some is when you see that initial 1-3-1 look as the PG is bringing up the ball. I’ve seen it in the NBA as well. This is just a “junk look” until the first pass. For example, a team like Dallas may show a 1-3-1 until the first pass, then they will drop into a 2-3/3-2 or a match up 2-3. You will hear Carlisle yell “13 to 23”…that’s all it means.

OG

First off congrats on joining Team 2K. I thought your input on NBA Live previously would've helped them close the gap between the 2 competitiors but I guess they weren't able to utilize your skillset wisely. Anyhow, I like the fact that you got off on the right foot removing unrealistic gameplay which is 1-3-1 in an NBA setting. NBA 2K wants to regain it's #1 Sim Title & that was a first step towards that.

As far as the charges we need them to play and feel sort of like NBA 2K6 or 2K7 for the original Xbox. Charges then felt very realistic as you could take them all over the court but you had to be there before the offensive player even stepped within 2 feet of you. Sort of like the real NBA where you can't go directly under the ball handler & appear to be in a charge position. That then felt realistic, please bring that back.

Also what happened to Offline & Especially Online Player
Fatigue!!
This was perfect then also as key timeouts were the online way to get your player a bit of boost not like recent iterations as the players don't get as tired & the timeouts would boost them to full stength. That must change for the better it is very fake. A bench isn't essential as it used to be so you get no real advantage by playing with a deep team like the Spurs because your opponent can just matchup with his starting 5 or top 6 players and make it through the entire game. Timeouts should be used like the official timeouts. Some online users call about 3 or 4 in the beginning of the 4th quarter which should be fixed.

Reach in fouls (especially),blocking fouls, over the back & charges (especially) arent called enough so players don't get into foul trouble like 2K6. You get to swat at the ball about 10x for 1 foul. Back then if you aren't careful your key players could get in foul trouble & even foul out!!

Online Injuries are needed!! It occurs in the NBA so we need it back in 2k!!

Turn down the dunk attempts per game & dunks in traffic made. Same thing for layups attempted & made. U may see 2 or 3 dunks per game but in traffic you may see 1 if that & its rare. By having constant dunks in traffic & layups happening it takes away from the excitement because it happens so frequently.

Better defense & more realistic fouls will help sustain the points per game that you will lose by having these improved foul calls & better defense.

Addressing these issues along with the phantom kickball even when it doesnt touch you will help make & keep NBA 2k #1 for a long time!!

Last edited by DaBoyBk; 08-26-2014 at 04:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:25 AM   #53
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoyBk
First off congrats on joining Team 2K. I thought your input on NBA Live previously would've helped them close the gap between the 2 competitiors but I guess they weren't able to utilize your skillset wisely. Anyhow, I like the fact that you got off on the right foot removing unrealistic gameplay which is 1-3-1 in an NBA setting. NBA 2K wants to regain it's #1 Sim Title & that was a first step towards that.

As far as the charges we need them to play and feel sort of like NBA 2K6 or 2K7 for the original Xbox. Charges then felt very realistic as you could take them all over the court but you had to be there before the offensive player even stepped within 2 feet of you. Sort of like the real NBA where you can't go directly under the ball handler & appear to be in a charge position. That then felt realistic, please bring that back.

Also what happened to Offline & Especially Online Player
Fatigue!!
This was perfect then also as key timeouts were the online way to get your player a bit of boost not like recent iterations as the players don't get as tired & the timeouts would boost them to full stength. That must change for the better it is very fake. A bench isn't essential as it used to be so you get no real advantage by playing with a deep team like the Spurs because your opponent can just matchup with his starting 5 or top 6 players and make it through the entire game. Timeouts should be used like the official timeouts. Some online users call about 3 or 4 in the beginning of the 4th quarter which should be fixed.

Reach in fouls (especially),blocking fouls, over the back & charges (especially) arent called enough so players don't get into foul trouble like 2K6. You get to swat at the ball about 10x for 1 foul. Back then if you aren't careful your key players could get in foul trouble & even foul out!!

Online Injuries are needed!! It occurs in the NBA so we need it back in 2k!!

Turn down the dunk attempts per game & dunks in traffic made. Same thing for layups attempted & made. U may see 2 or 3 dunks per game but in traffic you may see 1 if that & its rare. By having constant dunks in traffic & layups happening it takes away from the excitement because it happens so frequently.

Better defense & more realistic fouls will help sustain the points per game that you will lose by having these improved foul calls & better defense.

Addressing these issues along with the phantom kickball even when it doesnt touch you will help make & keep NBA 2k #1 for a long time!!
Definitely agree with the reach in fouls. Being able to consistently reach in with no high penalty is too crazy. On ball steals is about timing and quickness. You don't see NBA players constantly reaching until they steal the ball. They time it and go for it.

Its a risk, if they mistime it against a good ball handler.....that ball handler blows by them and is in the paint.

Also, bringing online injuries back is a good idea. It does happen and will force opponent's to use there bench. This is definitely where the separation from the skilled to not so skilled comes into play.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:38 AM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 0

what about OFF-BALL DEFENSE? my idea is boosting ON-BALL defense vs OFF. when i play online 90% users play offball on weak side in corner. its shame!
Old 08-26-2014, 05:11 AM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 3

@bls exactly man!!! defenders depending on how weak or slow the ball handler is attempt to steal it about 2 or 3x at different points in the game if they are lucky enough to not pickup a foul. And as you said ball handlers who escape past defenders going for steals will blow past them creating a 5 on 4 advantage & usually an easy 2 ponts.

@malekem 2k needs to reinsert the indicator showing that the user might not be playing on ball defense thus leaving it up to the computer to do so. Also fully reinserting offball offense can help make the cheap tactics go away. Users who don't play their own defense should also suffer when playing online & showing & rating that players skill level.

Tone down open shots made & contested shots made especially 3 pointers. Unless hot you wont make over 2 or 3 contested shots unless the defense or defender is that weak.

Bring back Online Lobbies
This will help separate the casual/ hardcore gamers & their skill brackets. The higher the setting the closer to real NBA sim basketball it should be
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2014, 05:33 AM   #56
Pro

yungsta404's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by knick9
I actually liked playing against the 1-3-1 because I would run plays with shooters in the corners, drive and kick.

The real problem was the unrealistic defensive recovery speed and reaction. Quick releases were a must.
if you are using 1-3-1 zone killing plays, a skilled cheeser would recognize this and would break your play before it has a chance to develop by spamming 1-3-1 zone

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »