Home

is this the year we fear the shot blocker?

This is a discussion on is this the year we fear the shot blocker? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

OVR: 0
Question is this the year we fear the shot blocker?

ever since 2k12 released there has been no repercussions to driving head first into shot blocking bigs like DeAndre Jordan Larry Sanders or Dwight Howard.you can run straight into a big man and dumped on him like he is Muggsy Bogues.in 2k12-14 big men cower in fear when someone attempts to dunk on them because of the canned animations 2k added.there are way too many highlight dunks in the paint especially from people like Kevin Durant.there is absolutely no reason to have a shot blocker on the court.

with all of the drastic changes 2K has made this year will or has this been addressed also? for the game to be a true simulation people need to think twice before driving to paint against Serge Ibaka or other dominant shotblockers. Ever since they went with the more casual/assessable approach in the most recent 2k versions the big men have gotten no respect.

will this be a year where a dominant shot blocker can protect the paint a will he just be another poster child?

fighting for truth, justice and SIMULATION gameplay
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
Rookie

gremdog8's Arena

Re: is this the year we fear the shot blocker?

I hope they fix it where it was useless to block anyone cause it put you in a animation where it took too long to recover and the guy you block gets the ball back no problem and scores.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
MVP

I Djm's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremdog8
I hope they fix it where it was useless to block anyone cause it put you in a animation where it took too long to recover and the guy you block gets the ball back no problem and scores.
I think it was lack of physics if two people collide mid air at least one is going to fall
Old 09-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Djm
I think it was lack of physics if two people collide mid air at least one is going to fall
If you're playing against a CPU team in HOF MyCareer, a 5'9" PG will make anyone in your team in the paint fall over while rebounding... while at the same time being able to make 3 shot attempts before anyone on your team can recover.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

I'd like to see shots become significantly altered when a player is contested by a premier shot blocker. It's currently too easy to drive right at someone like Roy Hibbert without an awful shot being thrown at the rim.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #6
Rookie

I'm not really sure if we'll fear the shot blocker, because there are a few things that need to be corrected in order for us to even acknowledge that there's a big man lurking in the paint.

I've played a number of games where I've logged 10+ blocks, but most of them were meaningless because it the person I blocked would recover the ball immediately. So number one, the super reactions have to go because a block means nothing if the other team got the ball back immediately and scored.

And number two would be finishing ability. All big men go unrewarded for great interior defense because when you force the person driving at you into a contact layup, they're still finishing them at a high percentage. No one is going to fear the shot blocker if they aren't forcing missing at the rim.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 1

There's also the issue of shot blockers being ineffective if they're not athletic. Bogut has a very high block rating as well as real life block stats, but because he has low verticals, he gets fewer blocks than say Iggy (or any athletic big man).

The game needs to respect the rating more than the physicals. Instead, it seems to doubly reward physicals, because the rating is influenced by real life physicals in the first place, and then there's the physical boost added again.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

To answer the question I think the answer is yes but not just the fear the shot blocker I think they redid the help defense so you don't always have to block everything I think there will be better help defense to draw contact and force contested shots this year that will miss.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »