Home

Jersey selection in My Player Mode

This is a discussion on Jersey selection in My Player Mode within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #41
MVP

OVR: 1
Jersey selection in My Player Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBulls
If this is the case then the only logical inference that the programming was not written in a way to allows it to be flexible and easily altered without breaking a lot of things.

I guess at that point the decision becomes whether the amount of work and time required to get it done is justifiable for a relatively minute feature addition.

What I'm saying is this change should've been simple, but I understand that not everything is designed perfectly. With that said I hope a major rewrite is in the cards that allows for many features (including this one) to be easily and efficiently implemented.
Yeah I'm going to have to agree here. Changing jerseys before a game should be a simple thing. If it isn't it was probably not architected "correctly" or at least with flexibility. There are also things that sound complicated to the average joe but are just routine for a programmer.

If its that much of a task, then it's really a matter of rewriting a component that wasn't written with this forethought (which is an odd one since jersey changing has been in the game forever in all the other modes). I can understand that 2K might not have the time in this cycle, but I'm going to be skeptical that 2K couldn't do this if they put any reasonable effort into it given their technical brilliance.

Last edited by Sundown; 09-06-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2014, 03:23 AM   #42
MVP

I Djm's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Jersey selection in My Player Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman38134
You have to admit that basically saying "You know that extremely customizable, detailed franchise mode that let's you customize nearly aspect of every team in the league you wanted? No problem. MyLeague. Done. We also have face scanned nearly the entire league, have more player voices than ever before, along with player intros, Ernie and Shaq, a new robust create-a-player system, and so much more! All on the most powerful home consoles ever to be released to market. But that jersey palette swap you want? Woah woah woah. That's beyond our technical scope." seems kinda crazy. Not saying it's not true. Just saying... Ok rant over
When you put it that way it adds to frustration lol
Old 09-06-2014, 04:43 AM   #43
Pro

nddot's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k
Two things:

1. VERY complex thing (not simple at all).
2. Dev's are aware of it's request. I've been asked about it every year - not been added for lack of trying.

that feature has been available in damn near every sports game since last gen. even worse, it is available in every modes in the game except Mycareer.
this is pissing me off
Old 09-06-2014, 05:17 AM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 3

MyCareer really is a completely separate entity from the other modes in the game. Just because something is in one mode doesn't mean it's something that can be easily moved to another. I always wondered why I couldn't edit player accessories, sim to specific dates, changing jerseys, etc in MyPlayer. I guess we just got our answer. It's flippin hard. haha
Old 09-06-2014, 05:23 AM   #45
Banned

OVR: 0

For some reason jersey selection doesn't work in NBA 2K's MyCareer for some reason. Its hard to believe with all the talented programmers they have they haven't come up with a work around. If they can't just embed it in the MyCareer mode they maybe allow us to download them from the cloud.

Last edited by Mr.Smif; 09-06-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2014, 05:34 AM   #46
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by nddot

that feature has been available in damn near every sports game since last gen. even worse, it is available in every modes in the game except Mycareer.
this is pissing me off
Here is the thing men, every game does not have the same architecture and background processes or databases etc.

There is also the issue of resource allocation.

MAYBE the work that it would take to fulfill this request is not a high enough priority in relation to the what else could be accomplished with those same resources.

Could this be done is not the only question. The other question is at what cost and what else if anything would suffer.

If mygm and myleague had half their features but we had the ability to change jersey's in this mode I think the majority of gamers would feel that was a misuse of resources. (A gross overstatement).

We are not always able to tell you everything. That is just the way this business works. We have looked into it and asked and pleaded and there has been a real barrier to this happening due to a number of reasons.

Is that going to make you feel better. Unfortunately not, but all we can do is relate to you the facts as we know them OR just ignore the question completely. We chose the former

Again what another game has done or not done has no bearing unless they have the exact same architecture and in this instance that is not the case.

At least we are not avoiding the question, were giving you the truth, it is much more difficult than it would appear. If that is not good enough for you then I'm not sure what else to tell you.

The purpose of us relating that to you is so that you understand we are not purposefully trying to screw you over or not listening there are just some barriers that need to be overcome to get it done and they are costly from a resource standpoint as i understand it.

Also all of this was not directly to you I just don't always have that multi-quote skill set popping.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 09-06-2014, 05:38 AM   #47

Da_Czar's Arena

Quote:
I'm very curious what makes this complicated. I obviously have never made a video game and know nothing about the process. But it seems like this would be a very easy addition. The game already let's u select uniforms in other modes for both teams playing. How is adding the exact same feature that has already been coded before tip off of a MyCareer game the same as it is present for a quick game complex?
Again if it was we would have flipped the switch. Things are always easier to accomplish on the front end because someone already did that work for you to make the simple change. Sometimes the issue is in the backend where things are not always so simple and may take a ton of work for what is widely held belief that it... all together now "should be a simple change"

Again Simballer loves this mode if it he could have done it easily it would have been done already.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 09-06-2014, 05:48 AM   #48

Da_Czar's Arena

Quote:
Here's the issue. No one seems to ever want to elaborate on what is complex about it. We are a gaming community, comprised of intelligent individuals. So yes, some of the technical jargon may be lost on us. But a simple attempt at explaining why something that seems extremely easy, is somehow so difficult that it couldn't be pulled off in years of attempting, even though the assets and menu systems are already present in game, would be greatly appreciated.
If you don't really believe what were telling you in a general sense you probably wouldn't believe us in a detailed sense because you already IMO believe there is no way this should not be done. LOL it is a lose lose situation and it is the reason not all dev teams interact at a detailed level with the fans of their game.

Because unless you sit in their shoes and see all they see and the work etc etc some of this stuff IS hard to believe. Trust me I know. Now being on the other side it's like dam I get it.

Unless your in the situation with that code your gonna think however your going to think there is nothing we can say because in your mind it's simple.

What ever the problem is your thing is well put someone on that. LOL and i get it I really do but it don't work like that. LOL

I've been a member here forever and you don't believe ME when I say it's more difficult than it seems. LOLOL.

I understand you want this in the game. Hopefully one day it will be.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »