Home

The Legit Virtual Currency Pledge

This is a discussion on The Legit Virtual Currency Pledge within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
MVP

Trackball's Arena

OVR: 7
The Legit Virtual Currency Pledge

Given all the news recently regarding the near-complete removal of VC requirements from MyGM for 2K15, as well as making VC utterly unnecessary for the awesome-looking MyLeague mode, I want to put this here for everyone to see, because if 2K holds true to this, I'm going to be a man of my word.

Having to use VC for even the smallest things (like changing a lineup), as well as cutting in-game VC rewards by at least 30% with 2K14, resulted in a lot of fellow OSers resorting to farming and exploits to squeeze the most VC out of the game. (No, the iPhone thing isn't an exploit to me.) I can't say I blame you guys, gals and others for doing so--2K made it so inconvenient to have to use it everywhere.

However, three recent announcements have come to near-universal praise regarding 2K15: MyLeague mode never requiring VC, and MyGM mode drastically reducing its needs. (As of this writing, there was still no news on MyCareer yet. That remains to be seen--but I felt this topic was worthy of posting anyway.)

And, lest we forget, the hiring of revered OSers bedwardsroy19 (Mike Stauffer) and Da_Czar, among others. When was the last time EA hired one of us?

Thus, I put this here, for all to see. If everything 2K is promising holds true to the letter and spirit of their promises (that is, no game-breaking bugs or the like which would hinder acquiring VC through legit, non-cheese ways, and the toning back of VC requirements in the above modes), then I say, with all honesty and honor:

I, the Operation Sports user known as Trackball, hereby pledge to never use farming or exploits to acquire Virtual Currency in the PlayStation 4/Xbox One version of NBA 2K15. All Virtual Currency will be acquired as the designers intended: either through honest gameplay, or purchasing with real money (should one so desire).

I realize that buying VC with real money is kind of frowned upon here. However, I personally don't see anything wrong with it if you have the funds to spare, and would really like that accessory right dang now. Doing it for MyTeam...that's another story. Buying your team with real money is the dishonorable method, in my eyes. "Built vs. Bought," as that Spurs billboard said during the 2014 Finals (no offense to genuine Heat fans who actually stick with their team even in the bad times).

Anyway, if you wish to sign this pledge to only play the game legit and not farm VC, feel free to copy-paste the bolded paragraph above, placing your username where appropriate, and post it below. Don't bold your pledge, though--I only did that so it would stand out more from the rest of my words. I don't want this thread being nothing but bolded words. That's just ugly.

Oh, and please DON'T put your REAL name. You'd think that would go without saying, but I had to be sure I wasn't violating the Terms of Service here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: The Legit Virtual Currency Pledge

I never bought or farmed VC in NBA 2K14. It was pretty easy to get by playing games. I'm actually sitting on about 70k unused right now. Therefore, I don't know why I would buy or farm VC 2k15.

Nevertheless, I'm glad it's being done away with/reduced.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans

Last edited by jeremym480; 09-05-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

2K is going in the right direction and earning back the trust of the consumers by not putting VC where it doesn't belong, and keeping it mostly restricted to the cosmetic show off store that is MyCareer and the MyTeam card pack lottery.

But to me this only guarantees that they have earned a purchase this year for putting the work in and being responsive to us. I don't think we should have to buy into the money maker scheme that is VC as well, even if Rob Jones insists it's all about the RPG experience of progression and not in any way meant to part suckers with their cash. It's still a nice side effect for 2K.

It doesn't make you a better player, or a bigger fan, to not be using whatever method you need to get the things you want from the game you own. It just makes you smart about it in all honesty. As long as your game on the court ain't cheese I don't care what your virtual bank account looks like.

Last edited by liberaluser; 09-05-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 8

Close the thread and re-open it after having seen the price of a pack in MyTeam or of a headband in MyPlayer
Old 09-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 0

From the looks of MyGM it looks like MyPlayer might use XP points but you can still purchase VC to get XP points for skills instead of using VC to boost skills which makes 0 sense. Players don't spend MONEY on skills. They get skill based on EXPERIENCE.

Hopefully they separate CURRENCY and SKILL POINTS because I don't think they belong in the same category. Players don't earn skill with the same money they buy there headbands or shoes or whatever...And I also wish the companies wouldn't lie and say it's not about making money like Rob Jones just said on this podcast, lol...

It should be optional to purchase VC to use to BUY skill points...
I should be able to level my player up with skill points and not VC
VC should ONLY be for the players currency because obviously the NBA doesn't want them to use actual dollars...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2014, 09:57 PM   #6
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24ct
From the looks of MyGM it looks like MyPlayer might use XP points but you can still purchase VC to get XP points for skills instead of using VC to boost skills which makes 0 sense. Players don't spend MONEY on skills. They get skill based on EXPERIENCE.

Hopefully they separate CURRENCY and SKILL POINTS because I don't think they belong in the same category. Players don't earn skill with the same money they buy there headbands or shoes or whatever...And I also wish the companies wouldn't lie and say it's not about making money like Rob Jones just said on this podcast, lol...

It should be optional to purchase VC to use to BUY skill points...
I should be able to level my player up with skill points and not VC
VC should ONLY be for the players currency because obviously the NBA doesn't want them to use actual dollars...
This isn't even scratching the surface on where we should be at in MyPlayer. All point systems should be almost completely removed from the game. Improving should be linked only to(with maybe the expectation of physical growth which by the way should only be done in the off season) drills and in game play. There is no way based on things that's already in the game should I be able to shoot the ball and based off of that become a better rebounder, on-ball defender, passer, leaper, etc.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »