Home

NBA 2K15 Gameplay Video - Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (Outconsumer)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 Gameplay Video - Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (Outconsumer) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #73
All Star

turty11's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: NBA 2K15 Gameplay Video - Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (Outconsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Are guys really seeing balls go through defenders THAT much?

I honestly can't remember the last time i've seen it happen..

I remember this being a big issue a few years ago, but i'm surprised it still seems to be happening so often for guy's
between the ball and body parts going through each other, and the "air bubble" around playet bodys that deflects the ball without it being touched (i have pics of this if you dont get what i am saying)

IT HAPPENS ALL THE DAM TIME.

its just usually not at an angle/point where you will really notice it unless you go through and watch a replay of everything
Old 09-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #74
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: NBA 2K15 Gameplay Video - Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (Outconsu

That's another reason why I asked what modes you guys play.

I play 90% of the time in teamup with 9 other users. So when you're player locked you notice every instance of ball warping , sliding , losing control, and animations that could use more physics and counter measures. So when guys get player locked on Rondo or Cp3 they paint pass all game , bigs end up with 20 a piece, and rarely get penalized for it ... And it's deflating for my guys who like playing and defending big man.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 09-16-2014, 12:51 AM   #75
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: NBA 2K15 Gameplay Video - Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (Outc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
nah - increasing speed or accuracy won't solve the problem i pointed out. i'm with Boilerbuzz on this one.

the solution (in my opinion) is to just have "true ball collision" on passes - that would ensure that bad passes are punished with deflections and turnovers. my philosophy about this game is (and has always been) that every aspect of the game should revolve around rewarding good decisions and punishing bad decisions...as of now, allowing the ball to be passed THROUGH defenders goes against that - that is the ultimate example of NOT punishing a bad decision.

if a defender is in the passing lane, and you make a pass, you've made a bad decision...you've failed to recognize that the passing angle was not there...so you should be punished by having the ball bounce off the defender and get stolen. by allowing the ball to go through the defender, the game is REWARDING a bad decision...and if you are the defensive team in that case, then you've been cheated - your defender was in place, but the game rewarded your opponent and allowed his bad pass to get through. how does that make you feel as a defender that you got cheated by bad physics? in this case the game is rewarding the wrong player - it's doing the complete opposite of what it should be doing.

lack of ball collision physics on passes bails out the user on bad decisions - it does not hold the user accountable...again it all comes back to the basic philosophy that the game should function to punish bad decisions and reward good ones...but the game cannot function toward that goal if true ball collision is not present on passes.

most of my problems with the game stem from the game not completely functioning to support this philosophy (i'm not saying it's on purpose from the game designer's standpoint, but I would like the game to function more to support that philosophy if at all possible). for example, another one of my problems with the game is that too many contested shots, contact shots, and difficult shots go in. taking these types of shots is not a "good decision," so relying on mostly these type of shots without passing and working for open shots should result in complete failure...but the game often allows people to hang around in the game by relying on these shot types. someone who passes a lot and gets open shots should be MUCH more successful than someone who relies on one-on-one contested shots or contact layups....but as of now, the gap between these two strategies in shot success is not large enough. yes, usually the person who gets open shots will do better, but not by a large enough margin. you can pass the ball around and get a good shot on almost every play, and your opponent can just force up one-on-one contested jumpers and contact layups...BUT you still might only win by 9-10 points...when in my opinion you should blow the other guy out by 20-25 points...the degree of success should correspond directly to the amount of good or bad decisions that are made
I agree with blues in principle. In practice however, a frustrated user will transfer the blame to the game. "Why did it pick that pass!? I would have done this pass to get it around the defender!" O
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2014, 01:38 AM   #76
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
I've made around 10 posts or so related to 2k this year, kept most of my thoughts via PM with some guys I know and respect from way back.

Czar knows my thoughts and where I feel the game needs to be, and more importantly, needs to go away from.

Hopefully the game starts to go that way.
You sure you should be helping the enemy, dude? EA may not like that.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #77
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
That's another reason why I asked what modes you guys play.

I play 90% of the time in teamup with 9 other users. So when you're player locked you notice every instance of ball warping , sliding , losing control, and animations that could use more physics and counter measures. So when guys get player locked on Rondo or Cp3 they paint pass all game , bigs end up with 20 a piece, and rarely get penalized for it ... And it's deflating for my guys who like playing and defending big man.
I didn't look at it that way. Great point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
You sure you should be helping the enemy, dude? EA may not like that.
Or he may be a spy lol. He generally cosigns every negative comment made about 2K in every thread.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #78
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadert
I didn't look at it that way. Great point.

Or he may be a spy lol. He generally cosigns every negative comment made about 2K in every thread.
Or perhaps the negative posts that I "like" are the same issues that I have with the game. ..

Boiler, I'm about making basketball games as a whole better, regardless of the name on the front. Basketball titles are generally the only games I buy each year, so if one of them has issues that effect my enjoyment then yep, I'm going to be critical. Much like yourself.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #79
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: NBA 2K15 Gameplay Video - Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (Outc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
I agree with blues in principle. In practice however, a frustrated user will transfer the blame to the game. "Why did it pick that pass!? I would have done this pass to get it around the defender!" O
haha...yeah, but at a certain point the user has to be accountable. some people will always blame the game for their failures...but as a game maker, you can't cater to those people...otherwise the outcome will not be determined by skill and decision making and you'll end up with the game forcing certain things in order to "help" the user and cover up for their bad decisions (like allowing the ball to pass through players, and allowing bad/contested shots to go in at a high rate).

in regards to the wrong pass type being used...one thing I liked about the passing in 2k11 was that you could be very selective about which hand you passed with...whatever hand you were dribbling with, that was the hand the player passed with...this allowed you to switch the ball to the other hand to create a better passing angle. this is partly why i loved the passing in 2k11. since 2k11, they have moved away from that somewhat (maybe they wanted to make it more realistic, since some players can't pass as effectively with their "off hand"), but the level of control it gave with passing felt amazing. also, in 2k11 you could direct the angle of your receivers more with icon lead passing...with these 2 factors, in 2k11 I really felt like I could pick my passes and create my passing angles. i have never quite felt that level of control with the passing since 2k11....it might not have been as realistic, but for somebody who loves to pass, it was a blast because you didn't have the game picking a pass you didn't want...and you could direct your receiver better with icon lead passing, so you didn't have to worry about your receiver cutting at the wrong angle and running behind a defender or suddenly stopping when you wanted him to keep moving.

Last edited by blues rocker; 09-16-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #80
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
Or perhaps the negative posts that I "like" are the same issues that I have with the game. ..

Boiler, I'm about making basketball games as a whole better, regardless of the name on the front. Basketball titles are generally the only games I buy each year, so if one of them has issues that effect my enjoyment then yep, I'm going to be critical. Much like yourself.
You say that, but I never see you hammer on the more inferior product as much as you do here. And, really, I understand it. This game is held to a MUCH higher standard. And deservedly so. So, I don't have an issue with it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »