Home

NBA 2K15 Gameplay Video - Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (Outconsumer)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 Gameplay Video - Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (Outconsumer) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #65
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: NBA 2K15 Gameplay Video - Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (Outc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taer
While some passes are rockets, some are floaters when the situation calls for rockets and visa-versa.

Better ai situational awareness for passing would address a major need and so far, I am undecided if I see improvement in an area that needed work for years.
The only floaters I see are close quarter and if those are too fast, the catcher doesn't have time to play a catch animation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #66
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: NBA 2K15 Gameplay Video - Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (Outc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFu
to combat that, they should increase the passing accuracy and speed of passes globally.
nah - increasing speed or accuracy won't solve the problem i pointed out. i'm with Boilerbuzz on this one.

the solution (in my opinion) is to just have "true ball collision" on passes - that would ensure that bad passes are punished with deflections and turnovers. my philosophy about this game is (and has always been) that every aspect of the game should revolve around rewarding good decisions and punishing bad decisions...as of now, allowing the ball to be passed THROUGH defenders goes against that - that is the ultimate example of NOT punishing a bad decision.

if a defender is in the passing lane, and you make a pass, you've made a bad decision...you've failed to recognize that the passing angle was not there...so you should be punished by having the ball bounce off the defender and get stolen. by allowing the ball to go through the defender, the game is REWARDING a bad decision...and if you are the defensive team in that case, then you've been cheated - your defender was in place, but the game rewarded your opponent and allowed his bad pass to get through. how does that make you feel as a defender that you got cheated by bad physics? in this case the game is rewarding the wrong player - it's doing the complete opposite of what it should be doing.

lack of ball collision physics on passes bails out the user on bad decisions - it does not hold the user accountable...again it all comes back to the basic philosophy that the game should function to punish bad decisions and reward good ones...but the game cannot function toward that goal if true ball collision is not present on passes.

most of my problems with the game stem from the game not completely functioning to support this philosophy (i'm not saying it's on purpose from the game designer's standpoint, but I would like the game to function more to support that philosophy if at all possible). for example, another one of my problems with the game is that too many contested shots, contact shots, and difficult shots go in. taking these types of shots is not a "good decision," so relying on mostly these type of shots without passing and working for open shots should result in complete failure...but the game often allows people to hang around in the game by relying on these shot types. someone who passes a lot and gets open shots should be MUCH more successful than someone who relies on one-on-one contested shots or contact layups....but as of now, the gap between these two strategies in shot success is not large enough. yes, usually the person who gets open shots will do better, but not by a large enough margin. you can pass the ball around and get a good shot on almost every play, and your opponent can just force up one-on-one contested jumpers and contact layups...BUT you still might only win by 9-10 points...when in my opinion you should blow the other guy out by 20-25 points...the degree of success should correspond directly to the amount of good or bad decisions that are made

Last edited by blues rocker; 09-15-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #67
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
The only floaters I see are close quarter and if those are too fast, the catcher doesn't have time to play a catch animation.
I was basing my observation on all the vids I've seen so far - so it is more of an overall assessment of my gut so far.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #68
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: NBA 2K15 Gameplay Video - Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (Outconsu

Are guys really seeing balls go through defenders THAT much?

I honestly can't remember the last time i've seen it happen..

I remember this being a big issue a few years ago, but i'm surprised it still seems to be happening so often for guy's
Old 09-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #69
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
nah - increasing speed or accuracy won't solve the problem i pointed out. i'm with Boilerbuzz on this one.

the solution (in my opinion) is to just have "true ball collision" on passes - that would ensure that bad passes are punished with deflections and turnovers. my philosophy about this game is (and has always been) that every aspect of the game should revolve around rewarding good decisions and punishing bad decisions...as of now, allowing the ball to be passed THROUGH defenders goes against that - that is the ultimate example of NOT punishing a bad decision.

if a defender is in the passing lane, and you make a pass, you've made a bad decision...you've failed to recognize that the passing angle was not there...so you should be punished by having the ball bounce off the defender and get stolen. by allowing the ball to go through the defender, the game is REWARDING a bad decision...and if you are the defensive team in that case, then you've been cheated - your defender was in place, but the game rewarded your opponent and allowed his bad pass to get through. how does that make you feel as a defender that you got cheated by bad physics? THE GAME IS REWARDING THE WRONG PLAYER.

lack of ball collision physics on passes bails out the user on bad decisions - it does not hold the user accountable...again it all comes back to the basic philosophy that the game should function to punish bad decisions and reward good ones...but the game cannot function toward that goal if true ball collision is not present on passes.
I half-agree on this. As great as it would be to have punishment for bad decisions, we will never have the depth of control to choose exactly how we want to pass the ball. So I can see an opening that would be perfect if I throw an overhead pass, but the animation that plays out may end up being a chest pass, which ends up being a turnover because it's not the type of pass I was expecting to make.

Even with the ball not being 100% tangible this year, I find that what I described above happens to me a lot. I'll want to wrap a pass around my defender or throw a one-handed pass around a help defender to the open man, but end up throwing a chest pass right into them instead.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #70
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: NBA 2K15 Gameplay Video - Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (Outconsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter

I remember this being a big issue a few years ago, but i'm surprised it still seems to be happening so often for guy's
It only seems prevalent with certain guys in 2k14 for me. As an example, playing against Rondo and the Celtics, I found it happened 3-4 times a quarter with me guarding him.

Just the prior game before, when I was playing against Jrue Holliday and the Pelicans, I did not see it happen the entire game with me guarding Jrue.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #71
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter

There was a clip in the trailer for 2k15 that had two arms going through each other that should have resulted in a foul instead. I realize that's not a ball going through the defender, but just saying it's definitely an issue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #72
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
There was a clip in the trailer for 2k15 that had two arms going through each other that should have resulted in a foul instead. I realize that's not a ball going through the defender, but just saying it's definitely an issue.

The Kawhi clip...yeah...those are going to happen...not really a big concern of mine...

I was speaking specifically about the call.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »