Home

Honest question about online associations and different 2k modes

This is a discussion on Honest question about online associations and different 2k modes within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2014, 02:38 AM   #1
Rookie

lvnba's Arena

OVR: 0
Honest question about online associations and different 2k modes

This is not a post asking the devs for news or information about the Online Associations, as I know that they are not going to release any information about the existence of this mode.

I would like to discuss with you guys, as an honest question out of curiosity, why is this mode not one of the most anticipated and played modes in the 2k discussion.

I see a lot of you very excited and looking forward for modes like MyGM, MyCareer, MyLeague, and I would like to know why do you find these modes more attractive than to have an online league with human players, playing SIM games, trading players, etc.

I have been part of an on-going online league for the last 6 years and it has been one of the best experiences of my gaming life and I am always wondering if it is a cultural difference, a thing that is not that easy to mantain or orchestrate and for that reason not anticipated as much as other individual or online but more casual like ranked games.

What's your take?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2014, 03:56 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Honest question about online associations and different 2k modes

Lol bruh only thing I can tell you is that different people like different things. There's gonna be pros and cons to everything. What you like about online association may be what I hate about it. Personally, I like to create my own player and put him on a team then go into an association. (This is just my own lil version of my career cuz I hate the story junk.) But the point is, I wouldn't be able to do that w online association.
Just one of many reasons
Old 09-17-2014, 04:34 AM   #3
MVP

raiderphantom's Arena

OVR: 6

I thought they scrapped OA's, no? Back to online leagues. Or am I wrong? I personally couldn't enjoy them because they hardly ever worked. Games disconnecting or just wouldn't start, playoff games sometimes were literally unplayable, and they would get simmed only to have the loser advance to the next round. I just gave up on them. Way too buggy. The mode had/has a lot of potential though.

XBLGT: tjor24
Old 09-17-2014, 04:57 AM   #4
MVP

lakers24's Arena

It's more about personal preference tbh. You probably don't see it a lot here because this minority probably prefer offline( this isn't even going to touch 2k's crappy servers since forever making this pretty much a moot discussion).

For me personally I'm an offline guy(2k14 only reinforced those BIG TIME). It's nice and all, but I prefer my own personal-private experience. Doing things on my own time, etc. Not to mention I don't have a large list of friends to hop in an entire league with so it's pretty useless for someone like me.
Now for someone who has a large list to populate a league it may be a nice experience I guess.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:00 AM   #5
Rookie

silverskier's Arena

OVR: 3

OA's or online leagues are the modes that makes this game a must to me. Without them, I can play some quick games, but playing without custom/sim sliders or vs the cpu just doesn't satisfy me. Unfortunately, this is a mode that VC isn't marketing for two years in a row, so I don't have confidence that it will work this year as it hasn't in the 2k14 iteration for ps4/xb1.
OA or online leagues aren't the most played modes because most of the time you have to find a good community to play with. But if you find it, it becomes the best experience IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2014, 05:29 AM   #6
Rookie

Working Online Association should be one of the two (second goal is Online Association with MyPlayer) ultimate goals of any gaming sport franchise (American football, football, basketball, hockey...). Why? If you gather a group of sim-heads with some manager skills and create a league with fantasy draft, there is no way back to play off-line OA with CPU. Right now you can't simulate human actions (tanking, competing for title, rookie development, creating a dynasty trough acquiring stars in FA period...) and behavior very well with AI.

Imagine online MyLeague with 30 sim-heads with custom sliders, custom rosters (if the decision is made to use custom rosters), custom draft classes in a league which offers the same options as real NBA league (salary cup, trade rules, commissioner actions, D-League, other leagues (Euroloeague), injures, player progression through years (based on how he performs in this particular league)) with solid online gameplay (like 2k11)...

Shieeeet , if you then organize real online leagues (like leagues in DOTA, World of Warcraft, Starcraft...), stream games on Twitch, gather sponsors and media attention (like it was last year with King of the court challenge - biggest cheeser won), you really don't need anything else.

Offline gaming has also some advantages like forging strategy, playbook management, scrimmage, training against AI, but the real deal is playing against human.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:00 AM   #7
Just started!

There's gonna be pros and cons to everything. What you like about online association may be what I hate about it.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:12 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by svit

Imagine online MyLeague with 30 sim-heads with custom sliders, custom rosters (if the decision is made to use custom rosters), custom draft classes in a league which offers the same options as real NBA league (salary cup, trade rules, commissioner actions, D-League, other leagues (Euroloeague), injures, player progression through years (based on how he performs in this particular league)) with solid online gameplay (like 2k11)...

Wow...I share your opinion 100% exactly to the point where you talk about solide online gameplay in 2k11...I'm a member in 3 different (german) online leagues where you have exactly that. We are all GMs of the teams and manage them outside of 2k with rules close to real NBA managing rules. One of the leagues even exists since the old nba live days with forthgoing rosters. It's really cool and could be made much easier with a little help from 2k, who, it seems, want to make it as difficult as it can be to have fun with the online leagues/associations/whatever you call them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »