Home

I think I would have preferred a pass meter over a shooting meter.

This is a discussion on I think I would have preferred a pass meter over a shooting meter. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2014, 09:42 PM   #73
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: I think I would have preferred a pass meter over a shooting meter.

"Junior College teams pass the ball with more zip and assertion than NBA 2k player's"....AND, it's just not how floaty the 2K passes are either...it's also the fact that you have a 1-2 second animation sometimes before the ball is even in the air on a pass. The overhead pass instead of the chest pass. Passing is so broken in 2K14...It really is.

And, why is icon passing SLOWER than the normal method? This makes no sense. Just because I can give a clear directive as to who I want to pass it to, 2K punishes me by making it slower and more prone to being picked off?..Really?
Old 09-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #74
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by luda06
No, less freedoms provide more security in exchange. For example, you can't abuse a shot release if there's more emphasis on shot quality (location and ratings). No more fantasy drafts where LeBron James and other players with funky releases get selected outside of where you'd expect them to be drafted.

I hate when players complain or take note of bricking a shot release with an A+ timing, almost downplaying or ignoring the other variables that may have affected the shot.

The same will happen with a suggested passing mechanic. Players will get upset when they screw up a pass in which they believe they had perfect timing on. Competitive gamers will find teams and players that can abuse or minimize the margins of error with each mechanic.

There's too much of an emphasis on the little things. Like worrying about a broken ladder on a building when none of the elevators work. Leave it to the A.I. to figure out.
I think you're misunderstanding what we're asking for. The user input on the pass will in no way affect the success of the pass. The shot release timing directly affects the shot's success by giving a slight increase/decrease in the probability that it goes in. Being able to choose how I throw a pass will not change the passer's ratings; it will do nothing but change the trajectory/speed of the pass.

By your logic, we should also be arguing that we should remove the shot stick and isomotion. Just press a button to shoot, and let the AI choose the shot type. Press another button to do a dribble move, and let the AI decide which move is the best. Maybe we should just go back to the days of Atari, and have one button and a joystick. Press than button when we want a player to do something, and the AI will make the best decision for us.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #75
Banned

What would a pass meter actually measure? Isn't a pass something you should eyeball even more than a shot release?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #76
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdfbzfh
What would a pass meter actually measure? Isn't a pass something you should eyeball even more than a shot release?
It could be an invisible meter like Fifa's. It would do more to effect the distance and force of the pass instead of the actual accuracy. The accuracy would be a combination of your skill in gauging the force and the player's rating.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #77
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
I think you're misunderstanding what we're asking for. The user input on the pass will in no way affect the success of the pass. The shot release timing directly affects the shot's success by giving a slight increase/decrease in the probability that it goes in. Being able to choose how I throw a pass will not change the passer's ratings; it will do nothing but change the trajectory/speed of the pass.

By your logic, we should also be arguing that we should remove the shot stick and isomotion. Just press a button to shoot, and let the AI choose the shot type. Press another button to do a dribble move, and let the AI decide which move is the best. Maybe we should just go back to the days of Atari, and have one button and a joystick. Press than button when we want a player to do something, and the AI will make the best decision for us.
If the pass was like the shot release user input would greatly effect accuracy. If Visual Concepts used such a system it should be impossible for anyone to master great passing. There is a challenge in Fifa where you have to put long passes into buckets. You could be the top Fifa player on the planet using a player with a max rating and its still a difficult challenge. PGs miss the target in the skills challenge and that is maybe ten feet away without defense in their face. It should not be difficult to tune this system so its impossible to master difficult passes or even perfectly passed simple passes.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #78
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaanyr Vhok
If the pass was like the shot release user input would greatly effect accuracy. If Visual Concepts used such a system it should be impossible for anyone to master great passing. There is a challenge in Fifa where you have to put long passes into buckets. You could be the top Fifa player on the planet using a player with a max rating and its still a difficult challenge. PGs miss the target in the skills challenge and that is maybe ten feet away without defense in their face. It should not be difficult to tune this system so its impossible to master difficult passes or even perfectly passed simple passes.
Right, but I'm suggesting that the pass meter not be like the shot meter. I would rather it have its own control, that does nothing but choose the type of pass. The passer's rating would still control the accuracy of the pass, and thus the success or failure of it.

I understand Luda's fear regarding a passing system that gives the user total control over the success of the pass. That's not what I want either. I just want to be able to decide how I throw the pass.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #79
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
Right, but I'm suggesting that the pass meter not be like the shot meter. I would rather it have its own control, that does nothing but choose the type of pass. The passer's rating would still control the accuracy of the pass, and thus the success or failure of it.

I understand Luda's fear regarding a passing system that gives the user total control over the success of the pass. That's not what I want either. I just want to be able to decide how I throw the pass.
Oh I get it so a meter that would prevent over throws or underthrows based on input. The players would just control the speed and trajectory and it would be bound so even odd passes like a handoff lob would look somewhat realistic.

Thats a decent compromise. I'm surprised anyone would disagree. What I'm suggesting is similar except I would detach lobs, bounce and regular passes from the same meter. The speed would have wider boundaries for error so if you put too much on a pass it would break trajectory creating a shank or if you put too little it would be under thrown. The type of pass, the difficulty of the pass, fatigue, ratings, hot/cold streaks and defense would influence the boundaries similar to how it does with a shot.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:52 AM   #80
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

Now that I have played the game my opinion has changed. I like the shot meter. Its like training wheels until you are able to follow the animations. Shooting is tuned well on Superstar Sim. The CPU is still juiced but its fine for the user. I like the shot meter so much I wouldnt even mind if it a pass meter functioned like the shot meter. Passing still feels soft and easy and the pass defense is still sad to watch.

Anyone can play this game and get decent looks by dumping it into the paint because the CPU doesnt fight for position unless its the post. Their quickness to the ball is based too much on the given animation instead of the difficulty of the play. They overrun steals on lofty passes and there are no 50/50 animations when two people have a play on the ball.

Could you picture a pass meter with feedback like the shot meter?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »