Home

No Draft in MyCareer-- But we were SO close.

This is a discussion on No Draft in MyCareer-- But we were SO close. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2014, 08:52 AM   #57
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: No Draft in MyCareer-- But we were SO close.

I'm not young, and i've enjoyed every iteration of 2k so far to some degree..as have many others my age.

What i'm starting to think though, is that maybe i'm not "sim", at least this recent definition of it.

because that word has devolved into some elitist take on basketball gaming that takes themselves way too seriously.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:53 AM   #58
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMartin
What a response... There is no other basketball game than 2K, EA isn't there yet. So we shouldn't play at all? 2K has gone from SIM to an arcade type of game focused on young teenagers. This should be a game everyone from all ages can enjoy, like FIFA.

Some of you are either really young or really into these fake hyped up interactions with Pharell, customized soundtracks and other lame features.
Agreed. Nobody over 22 is hyped about the Pherrell interactions etc. It's all C-grade role play off court fluff.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #59
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I'm not young, and i've enjoyed every iteration of 2k so far to some degree..as have many others my age.

What i'm starting to think though, is that maybe i'm not "sim", at least this recent definition of it.

because that word has devolved into some elitist take on basketball gaming that takes themselves way too seriously.
It's not something etilist, it's the only way to show I rather have a realistic game than some arcade controlled, pre-determined game with a lot of useless gimmicks and features added to hype a certain crowd up.

What 2K did with 2K11 was perfect. If only they could have followed that path. Made it more detailed, improved the defense and offense and added the things that needed to be added (which have been discussed over here the past few years).

They were on the right way but they took an exit somewhere and got completely lost.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #60
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:

Sim is just having the fundamentals of the video game represent the fundamentals of the real life game. Simulation, not replication. Basketball is fun, so Sim should be fun. It's not that complicated. Once you make any decision different from real life, regardless of game mode, you're no longer replicating reality. However, you can still be on a feasible, alternate path of reality if the fundamentals of the video game world Simulate the fundamentals of basketball.

That's why trade logic needs to be good in MyLeague/MyCareer etc. So your video game experience can live up to the "what if" of your basketball fantasies. We can't let the back and forth of a forum let us forget these principles.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #61
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

You know I agree Born...

Just seems like sometimes the essence of "simulation" has been lost, and turned more into a crutch for complaining about what guy's don't personally prefer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #62
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
You know I agree Born...

Just seems like sometimes the essence of "simulation" has been lost, and turned more into a crutch for complaining about what guy's don't personally prefer.
I know. I'm just in the habit of ignoring the white noise of ridiculous opinions. There are a lot of terrible ideas going around. That's ok. People haven't put in the work and thought to come up with real solutions, so good ideas shouldn't be expected. If you're an educated, experienced(read: old like us) SimHead, you can reinterpret their words and read the source of dissatisfaction.

Rather than responding to every bad idea, I just try to figure out the good counteridea that I might bring up on #Simnation. Going back and forth in here is a waste if I genuinely believe an idea is terrible.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #63
The Magic

zasbury25's Arena

OVR: 10

It will be interesting to see how the FA path plays out and I think it will be a refreshing take on the storyline over the draft storyline. If we are talking realism, I don't think the previous draft process was all that realistic anyways...if I am not mistaken, all the draftees ended up going in the same slots and to the same teams, regardless of where you were drafted. It seems like the NBA doesn't allow them to change the draft order and I would think that may be why they went for the FA route this time around.

With that said, I would like to see a combine-draft-summer league storyline (that seems to be the route they are taking now) implemented as well at some point...if it was done correctly.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #64
Banned

OVR: 0

I'm now of the opinion that offline modes should be released as a separate title. They should be worked on by a separate team. That's really the only way to make any of this stuff work and be presentable as realistic with depth. This may not make sense monetarily for 2k, but there is no doubt that the product would be better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »