Home

Player Progression at end of offseason

This is a discussion on Player Progression at end of offseason within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Player Progression at end of offseason

I didn't care that 2k moved player progression was moved to the end of the offseason in MyLeague. But then I realized they did not change how this would affect the contracts that aging vets would demand.

At the end of my first year, I resigned Wade for 14.5 mil/year while he was still rated an 86. Then before the season started he dropped to 81. In last year's game he would have been an 81 at contract negotiations, and never required 8 figures to sign.

It's not an isolated case. Every older star demands an inflated contract and then immediately and drastically declines in value.

This seems like a big oversight for Association fans, and basically makes aging vets unsignable.

Let me know if you think this is a problem.

Last edited by MrGDubbs; 10-08-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Player Progression at end of offseason

Yes, it's definitely something to keep an eye on, but it's really nothing new to the NBA. Aging vets wanting paid like they are still in their prime is as old as time. Sure, it should be addressed and possibly could with a patch or you can simply adjust their salaries following their signing. So if dWade got 14 million then slipped back to an 81. You could always just adjust it. Maybe give him 8 mill. Whatever you feel wouldve got the job done at his 81 rating. The best thing about full control is that you can fix little things like that. Heck you can even help out the CPU teams if they get slighted too.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:34 PM   #3
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9

I think I like it better this way. Makes it more of a guessing game if you plan on signing someone who is at the age where a rapid decline in the off-season is possible.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:56 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 5

I actually like it better this way as it's more realistic. Majority of contracts are signed a couple weeks after the season ends. GMs don't know what players are doing over the summer and how they'll look come the start of training camp when those contracts are signed. It's a guessing game. I think this reflects that in a way.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:30 AM   #5
Rookie

I would love it if it were actually a guessing game like you guys are implying. But the problem is that the aging FA doesnt act as though they are going to decline and we just don't know how much yet. That would be great

Instead, they demand a contract equal to their current rating even though it is guaranteed that they will decline in the next step of the offseason. Its obvious based on the contract demands that the game isn't aware that player progression has been moved.

I like having progression at the end of the offseason (if its done right), so maybe I should have picked a better title. But that's not really the issue here.

Last edited by MrGDubbs; 10-09-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2014, 03:29 AM   #6
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGDubbs
I would love it if it were actually a guessing game like you guys are implying. But the problem is that the aging FA doesnt act as though they are going to decline and we just don't know how much yet. That would be great

Instead, they demand a contract equal to their current rating even though it is guaranteed that they will decline in the next step of the offseason. Its obvious based on the contract demands that the game isn't aware that player progression has been moved.

I like having progression at the end of the offseason (if its done right), so maybe I should have picked a better title. But that's not really the issue here.
I don't get why you think the player would do that. They want money. And if they can trick a front office into thinking they aren't declining then so be it. No player guys "I'm not as good as I was last year so pay me less." They want money based on their past production and perceived value.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:19 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP
I don't get why you think the player would do that. They want money. And if they can trick a front office into thinking they aren't declining then so be it. No player guys "I'm not as good as I was last year so pay me less." They want money based on their past production and perceived value.
That's all well and good IF you can actually get them to sign for less, call their bluff.

I don't think the AI is intelligent enough to know it's an 81 masquerading as an 86 and making a "high ball" offer to bluff you into giving out more cash than they're worth.

They're asking for an 86 overall type offer, which means either you sign them to that or someone else will.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:49 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 8

How do veterans decline on average? Is it a massive drop in their physical skills versus their basketball skills?

If it's a drop in physical skills, eg they get slower, less athletic, then awesome. Because you're them signing an aging star who should retain their skills.

Think Ray Allen versus Steve Francis. Steve Francis was a player completely reliant on athletic ability, without that he was an average player. Ray Allen, on the other hand has a skill that has carried him well past his prime, his shooting ability.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »