Home

Walking while dribbling animation...

This is a discussion on Walking while dribbling animation... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #17
MVP

TheBadazz's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Walking while dribbling animation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Most if not all of the gameplay aspects of the game were done in trying to portray basketball more realistically than it's ever been done before so I don't think it's "another slap in the sim-heads face". Its' likely just an oversight. If I recall correctly back in 2K11 Beluba was on the boards when the issue was brought up and he didn't realize it was an issue. The next year they were back. Given 23's post, hopefully they're there and just need some tweaking to enable people to perform them on command.
Ok maybe that comment was over the top, but I'm still tripping about the highlights after I play a 11 min a quarter game. I guess they don't play games like that in quality control.

XBox One GT: TheBadazz
PSN GT: TheBadazzOG
Nintendo Switch #:
5725-3994-1005
Old 10-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #18
MVP

Eman5805's Arena

OVR: 15

Best I can get is this diagonal shuffling thing which doesn't look good, ain't the old walk up animations of previous games.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #19
Rookie

iNolaNightmare's Arena

OVR: 1

Sheesh, happy to see I'm not alone. I really want this fixed
Old 10-10-2014, 12:32 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0

Everything about moving and dribbling with the ball in this game (literally moving the left stick fully in one direction and the player not moving at all), the button responsiveness, etc. is just bad.

So I'm not even surprised that walking doesn't work when you slightly move the left stick up the court.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:51 AM   #21
Banned

I agree with the OP, also what happened to the dribble animation where the ball handler tosses the ball in front of them a little bit to get a running start, usually after a rebound, that was one of my favorites now I can't seem to do it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2014, 12:59 AM   #22
Rookie

Yeah I noticed this too. There is at least 1 animation in the game but it seems to trigger on its own.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:10 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 1
Walking while dribbling animation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_future420
If my memory serves me correctly, there was a 2k a few years ago that didn't have walking animatons a year after the previous game did. I'm not sure of the exact year but I feel like it was around 2k9 give or take a few years.

It seems to me this is somewhat a legacy issue in the sense that when certain things are tweaked it somehow affects walking animations. I'm no programmer so I'm not sure if this is actually true or not, but I certainly remember walking animations being taken out previously
Yes, 2k10 lost walking animations, and it came back in 2k11 as--- hunchback walking, like we have now.

Then it really improved in 12 through 14. And we're back to hunchback in 15 (though not as egregious as 2K11's).

This is noted in Beluba's developer
diary:

Quote:
The first area that needed to be addressed was speed. Feedback came through loud and clear from the forums that people wanted a proper walk dribble instead of the “hunchback” dribble that we had last year.

To be honest, I didn’t think it was that big a deal in the scope of things, but decided to spend some time refining it and capturing new walk dribble animations to appease the fans. After playing with the changes, I was amazed at how much I actually missed being able to walk up and down the court. It’s a small change, but goes a long way towards making the overall dribble model feel more complete.
It's a really weird cycle 2K seems to go through with changing and losing some basic features that they get right-- and the decision tree for seemingly straightforward things doesn't seem to be as straightforward as "would a change look, feel, or play better? No: keep the old or fix it until it does. Yes: use the new change." I know it's not always that simple but sometimes it seems like it should be.

I feel like it should also be very possible to restore the old functionality, as the slow, upright walking animation is definitely still in the game and gets triggered randomly instead of when you feather the stick.

Last edited by Sundown; 10-10-2014 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:20 AM   #24
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Ive always been a big proponent of the walk it up sequence. I always try to feather the stick coming up court, and I've seen Rubio walk it up in several different ways besides the hunchback. He regularly does the "throw the ball ahead a bit" thing, and Ive seen him do the "signal plays and direct traffic" thing while walking it up also.

Don't know how these are triggered, or if its player specific, but the animations are there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »