Home

IGN Review (7.8)

This is a discussion on IGN Review (7.8) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #57
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: IGN Review (7.8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBlack
You just cannot use the same 'method' to review a Sports game as an MMO. It just won't work.

Sports games are primarily judged on 'replay value'. (Among other things)

On the flip side, reviewing a game like Destiny SHOULD take longer, because in an MMO you MUST play 'a certain number of hours' in order to evaluate an MMO's PROGRESSION SYSTEM.

Why is this important?

The Progression System is the MOST VITAL part of an MMO. Because the Progression system determines exactly HOW the 'game mechanics' will change, as you upgrade your character, in any MMO.
Not to mention that the most progression oriented parts of this game are the ones that aren't working. Some inconsistently, and some not at all. I love this game and this franchise and have friends working there, so I want this to do well. It's heartbreaking to think that Czar did his job great, OG did his job great, Mike did his job great, and Server John is bringing it all down like a saboteur.

But that's where we are.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #58
MVP

WaddupCouzin's Arena

OVR: 11

[quote=RogerBlack;2046674139]Please forgive my use of CAPS in advance.
(I'm not yelling at you. Just trying to emphasize certain keywords. That's all.)

Now, just to clarify....

You just cannot use the same 'method' to review a Sports game as an MMO. It just won't work.

Sports games are primarily judged on 'replay value'. (Among other things)

If a sports game is realistic & fluid, then the chances are much HIGHER that gamers will keep replaying it.

As far as NBA 2K goes, the 'gameplay mechanics' of your very 1st NBA game plays exactly like your 80th NBA game. Or your 200th NBA game.

The only difference is your stats, which determine whether you hit more shots, or make more free throws & dunks. But the basic 'game mechanics' (on the court) do not change, from game to game.

On the flip side, reviewing a game like Destiny SHOULD take longer, because in an MMO you MUST play 'a certain number of hours' in order to evaluate an MMO's PROGRESSION SYSTEM.

Why is this important?

The Progression System is the MOST VITAL part of an MMO. Because the Progression system determines exactly HOW the 'game mechanics' will change, as you upgrade your character, in any MMO.

Does my character level-up too slowly? Or too quickly? Or is it just right?

That is exactly why the Destiny Developers told everyone UPFRONT that they will need to play at least 30-40 hours (in real-time) to upgrade their character enough to be allowed to run the highest-level missions.

In addition, the highest-level missions are also a critical part of the whole MMO experience.

Because in an MMO, you continually uncover new powers, abilities & weapons... so the 'gameplay mechanics' in the highest-level missions... are usually VASTLY different... than the 'gameplay mechanics' in the lowest-level missions, when you just start off.

ALL MMO's will tell you (or estimate) 'how long it takes' (on average) in order to access the highest missions available. (this is what is called 'end-game content' in every MMO)

If gamers do not know what the end-game content is like, or what the 'gameplay mechanics' are like at the highest levels... they will not be inclined to buy the next DLC, in an MMO. And that is exactly how MMO's make money.

After the 30-hour mark, the MMO 'game experience' changes completely.

And THAT is what the Reviewer is basing their Destiny scores on. They are reviewing 'the whole experience'. (ie. What it feels like at the beginning... and what it feels like at the very end.)

So yes, it usually takes 1 full week of 'playtime' to write an accurate MMO review.

But it does not take 1 week to write an NBA 2K review because you only have to play certain modes a few times to evaluate 'the experience' and determine the 'replay value'.

These reviewers do not have to play all 82 NBA games, in a season.

They can play a handful in the regular season,.... sim to the playoffs to play a few playoff games... sim to the Finals... etc, etc. and they will get a solid idea of what it feels like at the start... and what it feels like at the very end.

The only way you could use the same 'method' to evaluate NBA 2k15 and Destiny is if... In your 1st NBA game.. you could never hit any free throws, because you do not have any free throw skills yet.... but by your 50th game... you have now acquired the 'free throw skill'.. which changes the 'gameplay mechanics' and now involves 'Free Throw Shooting' from here on out. Get it?

Badges are not skillsets that change 'gameplay mechanics'.

Badges only increase the 'probability of success' of existing 'gameplay mechanics' that your baller already HAS on Day 1.

If your baller can dunk on Day 1, that 'gameplay mechanic' won't change.
He may not dunk every single time he tries... but he can dunk.[\quote]

My clinical thesis on partial hospitalizations addressing depression was shorter than this... Lmbo!
Old 10-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 3

Does anyone really believe that even the most casual of sports gamer was waiting to see how IGN scored it before buying? I really just think it's going to be talked about by those who already have the game or those already planning to wait for Live. I REALLY can't see this hurting 2K other than bringing up the obvious that everyone should already know if they have a pulse.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #60
MVP

WaddupCouzin's Arena

OVR: 11

My clinical thesis on partial hospitalizations addressing depression was shorter than this... Lmbo!

Last edited by WaddupCouzin; 10-10-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #61
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68pj
Does anyone really believe that even the most casual of sports gamer was waiting to see how IGN scored it before buying? I really just think it's going to be talked about by those who already have the game or those already planning to wait for Live. I REALLY can't see this hurting 2K other than bringing up the obvious that everyone should already know if they have a pulse.
I most certainly believe reviews from IGN can play a role in one's decision to purchase a game, particularly those without an ear to the ground in the online sports community.

For instance, I watch & read various reviews for non-sports games from IGN and other sites like it for games that fall in a community for which I am not a part (say, for Bioshock: Infinite, which I had no clue about). Those reviews alone did not make my decisions, but they certainly aided in the process.

I think the IGN review likely did its job here. If there was a gamer trying to figure out whether to buy NBA 2K right now, that IGN review would likely have told them that it's a very good game but the online portion is really struggling at this moment. That can be helpful information, even if it doesn't make or break one's purchase.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #62
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBlack
NBA 2k15 has received the worst IGN score of any NBA 2K game ever released, in the last 10 YEARS.

Including ALL PS3 Versions.

Here's a list that dates back to 2K5. (when the PS3 came out)

IGN Scores for NBA 2k Series

2k5 = 8.0
2k6 = 8.0
2k7 = 8.5
2k8 = 7.9
2k9 = 8.5
2k10 = 8.5
2k11 = 9.5
2k12 = 9.5
2k13 = 9.1
2k14 = 8.9 (next-gen)
2k15 = 7.8 (next-gen)

That's why you can't trust critics. Anyone who says 14 is better than 15 is insane. The gameplay is light years better on 15 than 14, and 14 had many bugs (online mostly) that were never resolved. And yet that gets almost a 9.0? 7.8 makes sense for 15, but if 15 is a 7.8, then 14 should have been no higher than a 7.0.

They need to review by category. Do it like this...

Game on the court offline. 9.5
onilne 2.0.

That's fair IMO.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #63
Rookie

OVR: 2

"Some features are vastly improved from last year, and fortunately most of those continue to work when the servers don’t."
Old 10-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #64
Rookie

OVR: 0

EA paid them to give it 7.8 ;D

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »