Home

Layups in this game are brutal...

This is a discussion on Layups in this game are brutal... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #41
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Layups in this game are brutal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyColtrane
I feel like there is a timing element that some of you guys don't consider. When I miss a layup I usually feel like I didn't release the button/stick in time.
Could you care to go into a bit more detail as to what timing is? When to go for a layup, in contrast to someone not holding the button long enough?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #42
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Brandon Knight missed a shot on a breakaway the other day... Could of won the game.
How often do players blow wide open layups? In the NBA and in NBA 2K15? The fallacies of these arguments, we're just running around in circles without any concrete evidence.

It's just one person saying "I don't like this", and the other saying "It's fine with me, just play smarter/harder". I wish more people took more time out of their day to actually present an argument that isn't worth throwing out entirely.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 1

What bothers me most about layups in this is that the game encourages you to dunk and turbo as much a possible.

If I'm wide open on the break and I decide to not turbo as I shoot, the player has a 40% chance of missing it, 30% of getting blocked by someone who was WAY behind the play but the animation was so slow that they caught up, 15% chance of the shot being goaltended, 15% chance of just making it normally.

In any sort of traffic, you might as well just try dunking. Any attempt to finesse it or go around the defender with a layup leads to the weakest take in the world. You might make it 1 out of 5 times but the other 4 times, it's a shot with NO shot of going in or drawing a foul.

What's the point of having the option to layup without Turbo if it's useless? Might as take it out and use that for something else.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #44
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by luda06
How often do players blow wide open layups? In the NBA and in NBA 2K15? The fallacies of these arguments, we're just running around in circles without any concrete evidence.

It's just one person saying "I don't like this", and the other saying "It's fine with me, just play smarter/harder". I wish more people took more time out of their day to actually present an argument that isn't worth throwing out entirely.
That was a joke my friend.

These guys are playing on HOF Sim. http://www.twitch.tv/oballxgameo
They are missing tons of shots in the paint.

What settings are you playing on. Show me your evidence. Because player get bothered by other players in the lane and miss. Every layup shouldn't go down.

Last edited by jeebs9; 12-02-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #45
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
That was a joke my friend.

These guys are playing on HOF Sim. http://www.twitch.tv/oballxgameo
They are missing tons of shots in the paint. What settings are you playing on.
Show me your evidence. Because player get bothered by other players and miss. Every layup shouldn't go down.
I have a ton of evidence, I record every game I play. I'm just now in the process of parsing the information towards relevant hot topics. All types of shots, layups included. Some of my games are already uploaded to my channel below, split into possession by possession clips.

In the meantime, I do play on HOF, with simulation settings.

My observations so far: Contact layups, or layups in traffic fall short on average. Open layups in transition are prone to misses with trailing defenders as well.

Put-back layups under the rim are also prone to misses if the defender initiates an animation that looks like they're shoving or bumping the offensive player in the back.

In regards to my opinion? I'm okay with the missed shots. I'm not okay with the nature of what caused the misses. Some of the failed attempts are in direct relation to how the defense forced them. Physical animations that clearly look like shooting fouls. Some of the same animations are called fouls against poor defensive teams, and stout defenses can get away with physical rim protection. Such an obvious bias seems to be a big flaw in the game IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #46
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Only issue I have with layups is that ridiculous push in the back animation that causes a miss when the defense is clearly out of position....should be a foul 100% of the time.

Other than that, I'm good TBH. I always finish with the opposite hand of the defense and pump fake myself open under the basket....works for me...
Old 12-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #47
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

I only play on HOF. SIM settings is a little too hardcore for me. But if your playing on sim. You really need to pick your shoots and run some sort of offense. My cousins have getting blown out because they think it's 2k3. And they can do one dribble move to get by players and going into the lane and spamming the steal button. But even on HOF you need know what your doing. You can't just get in the lane. And stand there for layups.

For me I don't expect every layup/shot to go in. Even when wide open. It's kind of like playing in real life.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #48
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
hmm let's see...there's a thread about too much points in the paint....now a thread about missing layups...

the patch is either going to fix the game or heading the arcadey route....either way I'm enjoying the game as is and knowing 2k they tend to go a little overboard with their changes...
Its a matter of detail. There are a few scenarios where layups miss too easily like the one where nobody is in front of you and looks like you were pushed in the back. Then you have situations where the ballhandler drives into traffic and guys just fall down of move out of the way proving less defense inside than there should have been. The developers could address both sides and it could even out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »