Home

You Knew It Was Coming... Points In The Paint.

This is a discussion on You Knew It Was Coming... Points In The Paint. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How is your CPU PIP experience..
Just right, getting very realistic numbers. 16 15.09%
In between, could definitely be improved on. 33 31.13%
The CPU AI bullies it's way into the paint, and I can't stop them at all. 57 53.77%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: You Knew It Was Coming... Points In The Paint.

Another problem i've noticed:

After every user miss the cpu is running like crazy and is forcing the ball inside. After the rebound the rebounder is throwing the outlet pass with ease (most of the time without looking) up the court without hesitation which forces a fastbreak-situation you won't see in real life. After grabbing the rebound it would be realistic to have to look for a teammate and then adress the pass. This takes time. If you want to throw it upcourt the cpu-rebounder at least should be forced to turn around to see his running teammate. This routine basketball sequence is implemented badly in 2k basketball games since the start. As it is now it leads to quick scores because this one or two seconds a rebounder needs to get a pass off aren't in the game. This time is lacking for the defensive team to pick up their opponents and to get back on defense.

And this is leading to PIP as well.

I think it is hardcoded. After every user miss, there are no plays run by the cpu. After every user miss it is only run and gun and forcing the ball in the paint.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #34
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
You Knew It Was Coming... Points In The Paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
I didn't see the video, I'll check it out soon though.

IDK man, honestly I just would not be okay with the amount of points they scored in the paint. Look at the foul numbers as well. With that many PIP scored, if more fouls were drawn, those PIP numbers would go down and start to balance themselves out.

If it's okay for you, and you're having fun with the way the AI plays, than that's all that matters. But if I'm playing good defense, if I'm in the paint contesting shots, getting in good position, and MORE than half their offense is still coming from PIP, and they're only taking 5 foul shots in a game, then it's a problem for me. Different strokes I guess.

Yeah, that box score in particular isn't indicative of all my games, especially the foul numbers...trust me, OKC usually draws way more fouls against me, lol

Not having the contesting issue you're having, but I would be upset if that was happening to me too...it has in previous 2k games so I know how you feel. The put back issue I agree with 100% as well.

It's not even about tolerance for me TBH...I'm just not experiencing all these other issues...just trying to help where I can.

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 10-14-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #35
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70
Another problem i've noticed:

After every user miss the cpu is running like crazy and is forcing the ball inside. After the rebound the rebounder is throwing the outlet pass with ease (most of the time without looking) up the court without hesitation which forces a fastbreak-situation you won't see in real life. After grabbing the rebound it would be realistic to have to look for a teammate and then adress the pass. This takes time. If you want to throw it upcourt the cpu-rebounder at least should be forced to turn around to see his running teammate. This routine basketball sequence is implemented badly in 2k basketball games since the start. As it is now it leads to quick scores because this one or two seconds a rebounder needs to get a pass off aren't in the game. This time is lacking for the defensive team to pick up their opponents and to get back on defense.

And this is leading to PIP as well.

I think it is hardcoded. After every user miss, there are no plays run by the cpu. After every user miss it is only run and gun and forcing the ball in the paint.
Honestly this is one problem I'm not having when it comes to the CPU. Iv'e noticed that even after a miss, if I get back down court on time, the CPU will reset and run a play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #36
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

I'm streaming a game right now on my twitch account, Spurs Vs. Clippers. I'm the Spurs, starting the 2nd quarter now.

If you guys wanna check it out, see what I'm doing wrong defensively, etc. Just want to show you what I mean when I say AI paint spam. Who knows, if you look at the video maybe some of you could see if I'm playing defense the wrong way and give me some tips.

http://www.twitch.tv/gosens6
Old 10-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #37
I smell sulfur...

Kodii Rockets's Arena

OVR: 12

I also think a HUGE part of the issue is a lack of contact fouls, when you look at an NBA game, it's very physical in the paint, ESPECIALLY on those put backs. The reason that there's such a low percentage of 'close' shots made is that most of them are fouls down there, I think if 2K did a better job of replicating foul calls, i.e. turning 20 of those PIP to 10-12 free throw attempts, it would balance out the game in a few different ways.

-More fouls for big men
-More fouls in general
-Less PIP
-More FTs

I think it's a pretty simple formula, I haven't looked this year, but unless you're a superscrub big, the foul tendency is much too low(D-12 was around 50 last year) but I've tried to replicate this on my slider sets and rosters(By increasing the foul tendency for bigs) but it only helps moderately, plus without being able to globally edit, I don't know if it's a venture I'm willing to partake in this year. Fact of the matter is that simulation settings SHOULD produce more fouls than it does, I think they've done an excellent job with gameplay this year, so it's less of a knock on them as it is some constructive criticism to get to these little nooks and crannies cleaned up.

Follow this link to view 10 Yard Fight on Operation Sports >>10YF on OS
Old 10-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 3

Sorry to say, but your game is proving my point.

Every time you are missing the cpu is just running and gunning. Amost never are they running a set play after a miss. They never bring the ball slowly up court.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #39
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70
Sorry to say, but your game is proving my point.

Every time you are missing the cpu is just running and gunning. Amost never are they running a set play after a miss. They never bring the ball slowly up court.
They just did man. If you defend the break they reset.

I don't see the CPU cheating at all here. What's your POE set at right now ? The commentators are letting you know that they keep scoring in the paint (legit though) and you should probably set it to protect the paint. I'd give more space to griffin too. But you're playing good D.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #40
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

I was gonna say it's time to double up Griffin. gg !

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »