Home

Better Sim experience? MyLEAGUE or My GM

This is a discussion on Better Sim experience? MyLEAGUE or My GM within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #65
Rookie

flo182's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Better Sim experience? MyLEAGUE or My GM

I'm through half a season in MyGM with the T-Wolves.

Really love the mode so far! So much depth compared to other sportsgames I used to play and the GM-Level/RPG thing is great!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 2

To all those who state that My GM has unrealistic trades and whatnot, just playing devils advocate (I know it is a different sport but the premise is still the same), would the Percy Harvin trade for a conditional draft pick be realistic or unrealistic? Seems unrealistic to me, but did just happen in real life.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #67
Banned

Cf3411's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfan81
To all those who state that My GM has unrealistic trades and whatnot, just playing devils advocate (I know it is a different sport but the premise is still the same), would the Percy Harvin trade for a conditional draft pick be realistic or unrealistic? Seems unrealistic to me, but did just happen in real life.
No thats actually a realistic trade in the NFL. Look at years passed.

Moss dealt to the Pats for a 4th rounder, Carson Palmer dealt to Cardnials for 7th rounder, Marshall Faulk to Rams for 2nd and a 5th.

Not great value on these returns but its like baseball does prospects for a good to star player the NFL trades picks and usually late. But I see your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
I thought about using the stock roster of the Celtics but it's probably one of the hardest teams to rebuild this year I think.
Yeah I tried one with them as they're my favorite team (season ticket holder). They are a tough team to start with mainly because as everyone knows they can't shoot a lick. They have good picks which is a plus of my league, but just the way its currently constructed you have to make a bunch of moves to make the team what you want, and if you keep it realistic you won't do 5 trades before the year cause then a fantasy draft would just be better.

I use stock rosters but decided to go with Knicks cause they still need a good amount of help but can play a fun brand of basketball currently constructed and they have Melo to build a team around him.

Also sim guys who want to see some trades or get an opinion on a trade, the trade discussion forum is great IMO.

Last edited by Cf3411; 10-17-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #68
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brza37
I started a myGM with the 76ers this weekend and the first goal from the owner was to contend THIS year. His second goal was to improve the roster to top 15 in the league this season too. Seriously, that is nothing like the 76ers plan for this season. Even if I don't keep Embiid and Saric out the whole season like they will be irl there's still little chance to reach those goals without completely going against the plan to develop their young players and get more talent through the draft. I played the first game and got crushed as they likely will irl too.
The goals not matching the real life 76ers roadmap kills myGM for me as I don't feel like going through a whole season only to get canned by the owner at the end because I didn't make the playoffs and trade away all my draft picks for aging stars. Its ashame because I was kinda looking forward to the RPG aspects.

One question though. Do you have control over staff (scouts, trainer, assistant coach etc) in MyLeague?
I also started a MyGM with the 76ers, but I only need to win 19 home games this season for the first goal. The second like yours is to have a top 15 roster but the deadline is start of next season, so i guess thats allright. I currenty have the 17th so I should be allright.

I like the MyGM mode, you have to try keep everyone happy, the players, the staff, the owner, the press and the fans, which isnt always that easy as there is some conflicting interest. Oh and ofcourse play well.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #69
Banned

Cf3411's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter
I also started a MyGM with the 76ers, but I only need to win 19 home games this season for the first goal. The second like yours is to have a top 15 roster but the deadline is start of next season, so i guess thats allright. I currenty have the 17th so I should be allright.

I like the MyGM mode, you have to try keep everyone happy, the players, the staff, the owner, the press and the fans, which isnt always that easy as there is some conflicting interest. Oh and ofcourse play well.
19 home wins is very unrealistic for the Sixers. IRL they probably won't win 19 games for the season let alone 19 home wins!
Old 10-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #70
MVP

OVR: 8

The Harvin trade is realistic for the NFL. Without guaranteed contracts, NFL trades are very different. Vets are often moved for late round draft picks. One team gets rid of an issue/contract, the other takes a flyer on a vet and isn't on the hook for full contract value.

The NBA is all guaranteed contracts. It is what drives 90% of trades. Go back through the trades of the past 5 years and you will see almost all of them were about expiring contracts. Teams acquiring them to create cap space and rebuild using draft picks. Playoff contenders acquire talent in exchange for picks and salaries. Very rarely has there been a blockbuster trade with an even talent exchange where both teams received players or packages of players that were of equal value on the court. It just isn't how the league works now. Teams are either playoff teams or trying to tank to stockpile picks and cap room.

I haven't seen enough yet to know if the same issues are in MYGM but in the past there were far too many one for one player trades. How many times did I see Jose Calderon traded? He was often traded 3 times in the same year and usually just for a different PG. That just doesn't happen much in the NBA. Other issues included stockpiling too many players at one position (usually PG). Trading for Chris Paul when you had Kyrie Irving simply isn't logical. Too many trades where an aging vet like Dirk or Kobe was traded for a much younger star simply because their ratings matched, regardless of where the trading teams were at as franchises. Sure Paul George might have the same rating as Kobe, but Indiana would never move him for Kobe IRL.

In regards to the any trade can happen logic, again they have to be realistif for today's NBA. Sure the Mavs may decide that next NBA title isn't going to happen and trade Dirk. In fact in my 30 team association a couple years ago, I did the same thing around 2015, trading him to the Bulls (remember no Pau then) for one last title run. But if that trade happens, the Mavs are going to want young talent, draft picks, and cap space, NOT a straight up trade of Dirk for Pau Gasol and Mike Dunleavy, which too often in the past is the kind of trades the CPU would complete.

The trade logic needs to be NBAcentric, which means cap space is king, draft picks are major currency for bad teams to get, and stars don't get traded for stars.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:44 PM   #71
MVP

Ejfalcon9's Arena

OVR: 9

We can keep going back and forth with the what is realistic vs unrealistic, but it all comes down to computer logic. The CPU doesn't think "We need to trade this player for that player because that player is an expiring contract" or "We need to trade this player because he's an aging star and become worse now so we can get a stash of draft picks and build for the future"

The CPU thinks like this.

"Player A is an 80 Ovr"

"Players B is a 75 Overall."

"Our Player B and a draft pick for their Player A is a good trade in our favor because it makes us better now and will make us sin more games"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #72
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cf3411
19 home wins is very unrealistic for the Sixers. IRL they probably won't win 19 games for the season let alone 19 home wins!
True, but it wouldn't be any fun if the owner asked you to tank the season and not play Embiid like IRL. So with the owner focus on improving and winning instead of loosing id say 19 home game wins seems fair to me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »