Home

Playbook questions

This is a discussion on Playbook questions within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26
Playbook questions

I have a few questions I'm hoping a dev can answer and chime in on here.

1- how does the CPU AI choose plays? In the past I believe it was just randomly. I'm also curious if it go's by play types randomly as well or in order?

2- is there anyway to manipulate the plays chosen by placing them in a specific order? I've always wanted a game planning option for plays but I guess selecting plays in order would basicly be the same thing.

3- I have heard conflicting things as far as the coach run plays slider. I'm curious if (what I always thought) the higher the play call number the more apt the team is to run sets. I have also heard though that having that call play slider higher means a team is more apt to run a play all the way through all of its options?

Just looking for some clarity here...

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Playbook questions

I tried changing the run plays slider to under 50 for a few games to see if that would initiate the half court set default (pace, triangle, motion etc) of teams. All it did was make teams not run plays and just chuck up shots or run straight at the rim.

I'd be super interested what triggers the cpu AI to actually use their default half court set when plays break down, or just in place of set plays.

Czar's video was awesome, but I fear it's only really possible in practice where they have an unlimited shot clock.

Maybe they trigger based on a play type, or even specific play?

I have no idea how they choose what plays. On offense, if it's set to auto just like last year, they run the same few plays over and over again. I see the computer run similar plays repeatedly also, so I'm not sure what that means, if anything.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Does anyone know or have any answers? Czar?
Old 10-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

I also have some questions:

1.) When removing unnecessary plays from playbook the order of remaining plays of same type is messed up. For example we have order 1,2,3,4,5. Remove play 3 from playbook and you will find order as 4,5,1,2. How does this thing work?

2.) Why are we unable to order plays in playbook as we pleased? For example if I want to reorder isolation plays in my playbook, why I am unable to do it (however there is a workaround in removing all plays except one from playbook and then adding them in correct order)?

3.) Why we can't assign specific plays to specific player. For example Danny Green will have 3pt play (ended in corners), Ginobily will have 3pt play which ended on top of the key... Why we have to include both plays in playbook and that both players have access to the all 3pt plays. Selecting plays for a player with many offensive tools like Kobe is nightmare, because you have to cycle trough many low post plays, isolation plays, mid plays...

4.) Although Czar make a hell of a job removing broken and weird plays from playbook I don't understand why we have same plays under different categories. Right now I don't remember the exact play but I noticed same play in PnR and 3pt section. Why is that?
Old 10-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
Just started!

OVR: 0

I heard or read that if you change your POE like running plays through Carmelo then it will prioritize those plays when you trigger the auto plays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by svit
I also have some questions:

1.) When removing unnecessary plays from playbook the order of remaining plays of same type is messed up. For example we have order 1,2,3,4,5. Remove play 3 from playbook and you will find order as 4,5,1,2. How does this thing work?

2.) Why are we unable to order plays in playbook as we pleased? For example if I want to reorder isolation plays in my playbook, why I am unable to do it (however there is a workaround in removing all plays except one from playbook and then adding them in correct order)?

3.) Why we can't assign specific plays to specific player. For example Danny Green will have 3pt play (ended in corners), Ginobily will have 3pt play which ended on top of the key... Why we have to include both plays in playbook and that both players have access to the all 3pt plays. Selecting plays for a player with many offensive tools like Kobe is nightmare, because you have to cycle trough many low post plays, isolation plays, mid plays...

4.) Although Czar make a hell of a job removing broken and weird plays from playbook I don't understand why we have same plays under different categories. Right now I don't remember the exact play but I noticed same play in PnR and 3pt section. Why is that?
Number 2 on your list is driving me crazy! Be careful when deleting all plays though. I did this with blazers and started filling their playbook back up and it wouldn't allow me to go past 22 plays max. I think it's a glitch. What I have been doing is replacing then adding plays to get to 50. Then I have to go see which plays and where they are assigned and switch them accordingly. For example sometimes 1st PNR play is 7th on your list and number 2 is number 6. It's weird. This could be a lot easier than what it is. So, I have to then go and put play I want 1st in my PNR playbook to number 7 and so on to get it set up the way I want. Very time consuming and frustrating.

You can however delete all plays and fill back up to 50 no problem at all with standard and user playbook 1 and 2. Not sure why it's a problem with some team play books?

Does that all make sense?

It also bugs me throughout playbook there are same play sets and action with different names. Is it necessary? Just adds confusion with picking different teams to play with. I say keep it all universal to add familiarity between different teams and their playbooks. Just my opinion...

Last edited by vannwolfhawk; 10-16-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15

I thought they said u could put specifics on page. Ex all pick and rolls and page 1. All mid range on page 2, etc etc? And also where from the menu is the coaching profile sliders?
Old 10-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjam
I thought they said u could put specifics on page. Ex all pick and rolls and page 1. All mid range on page 2, etc etc? And also where from the menu is the coaching profile sliders?
Out of the box they are in order. Once we make changes to a playbook they get all messed up.

Coaching profile sliders are in the roster. If you want to change them you need to go to download roster (download official 2k roster at top of page), then save and go back in and select edit roster. You can then RT til you see coaching sliders, play books, change player play types, etc... make sure you save when done and you need to note that any time you go to scrimmage, play now, or any mode and want to use your rosters you edited you need to hit Y and upload your roster on the team select screen otherwise you will be using default 2k rosters.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »