Home

On ball defense help

This is a discussion on On ball defense help within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15
On ball defense help

First thing u do is make sure your assist is at 0. Next know your matchup. U have to give up something to good offensive players and live with the results. The other thing is only use the l trigger as a kind of strafe like in madden to square up your guy. The last thing if your beat use the r trigger to get in front and then l trigger to square and stop him. This year u don't have to use the l trigger all the time. Also don't fall asleep on d keep engaged mentally and force to the help. That's what's helped me and I must tell u it's very rewarding if done correctly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2014, 11:42 PM   #2
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: On ball defense help

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjam
First thing u do is make sure your assist is at 0. Next know your matchup. U have to give up something to good offensive players and live with the results. The other thing is only use the l trigger as a kind of strafe like in madden to square up your guy. The last thing if your beat use the r trigger to get in front and then l trigger to square and stop him. This year u don't have to use the l trigger all the time. Also don't fall asleep on d keep engaged mentally and force to the help. That's what's helped me and I must tell u it's very rewarding if done correctly.
How do you counter the " running in mud covered" ice feeling of online play? Opponent just has to run from left to right and you are beat no matter the defender you use

fighting for truth, justice and SIMULATION gameplay
Old 10-15-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
Rookie

stopBULLYING's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k13
How do you counter the " running in mud covered" ice feeling of online play? Opponent just has to run from left to right and you are beat no matter the defender you use
you can't lol
Old 10-16-2014, 12:42 AM   #4
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15

Sorry fellas this is jus been tested offline. I don't play online until I hear post like the online is much better after the patch if at all. I can't stand cheesers that jus go one on one with star player or worse yet that guy who pauses the game all the time or stands out of bounds for a 5 sec call and the fouls you bc you are beating him jus to hopefully make u fed and quit
Old 10-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 3

Defense
This gives the user a quick access to setting up the Defensive Settings on the fly:
Pressure Shooters – for opposing players good at med/long range shots; tight onball, deny ball, go over screens, hedge on screens
Lock Down Paint – double down in the post for all players, go under screens
Focus on Stars – for opposing star players; always double, tight onball, deny ball
Constant Pressure – double team on drive for guards, double team in post for bigs, play tight on stars, go over screens, hard hedge

Those used to be the settings for defensive quick plays before POE. Try to make these adjustments in your individual defensive settings. Combined with the POE, it should help your defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
MVP

erickonasis's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_jax2000
Defense
This gives the user a quick access to setting up the Defensive Settings on the fly:
Pressure Shooters – for opposing players good at med/long range shots; tight onball, deny ball, go over screens, hedge on screens
Lock Down Paint – double down in the post for all players, go under screens
Focus on Stars – for opposing star players; always double, tight onball, deny ball
Constant Pressure – double team on drive for guards, double team in post for bigs, play tight on stars, go over screens, hard hedge

Those used to be the settings for defensive quick plays before POE. Try to make these adjustments in your individual defensive settings. Combined with the POE, it should help your defense.
Maybe its just my copy of the game but I set Steph Curry on "smother " on HOF and I didnt see anything that resembled that on my defense. Also had limit perimeter shots on and my guys still left him open
Old 10-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
MVP

what do you expect to see on hall of fame? you may want to go down a level.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...me-people.html
Old 10-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
i play with default rosters and superstar sim sliders. i don't believe this issue has anything to do with bad 2k rosters or sliders. i'm not a defensive "expert" but i've been able to slow the computer when it comes to points in the paint. notice i said "slow" and not "stop". these tips should also work against human players as well.

1. know the player you are defending. if the player isn't known for being a great jump shooter, back off. no need to play too tight. give them the open shot. if they make it, fine. i would rather give up the shot, then have them drive the paint. you can still challenge the shot if you don't back too far off. it's just the opposite for great jump shooters. play tight but also respect their ability to drive. don't take anything for granted.

2. don't be afraid to switch to the next closet defender if the first player gets beat. you have four other players, use them. these are "virtual" nba players so they should be able to get by one on one defense. unless you have a lock down defender.

3. learn to use the shading feature in the game. by shading right or left, you control which direction the ball handler will go. knowing the direction that they should take makes it easier on defense. no more guessing. shade them to where you help defense (or next closet defender) is. you can also use the sideline as an extra defender. also double teams can be effective near the sideline.

4. right stick (hands up) defense + intense defense to challenge shots. i have seen more shots missed by using this combination. i actually don't even go for blocks. just try to make the shot as tough as possible. leaving your feet to block leaves you vulnerable to pump fakes and can also create more driving space for your opponent.

5. intense defense (LT) + right trigger (turbo) = quick shuffle movement. use it to keep up with the ball handler. this works hand in hand with number 2 + 3. keep in mind that by using turbo your players will tire faster. so learn when to use it. use the left thumbstick to move your player while using the quick shuffle movement. try to beat you opponent to the spot forcing them to use other options. using the left trigger + right trigger can also make it easier to box out for defensive rebounds. the left trigger (box out) is already being pressed, you just have to icon switch to the player with the best position. or box out the other teams best rebounder, allowing your other teammates a chance for the rebound. you must keep your opponent boxed out throughout the whole rebounding process. they will try to get around you.

6. take smart shots. don't try to force offense. work the ball while looking for the best possible shot. bad shots and uneven offense can leave you out of position in transition defense. cuts down on fastbreak points and points in the paint opportunities for the opposing teams.

7. learn when to bring the double team. as soon as you call for the double team, make note of who the open player is. your opponent should make the smart pass to the open man. be ready to icon switch to your defender that is closet to that player. playing good "team" defense can be rewarding. it creates turnovers for you leading to fastbreak chances and momentum.

8. use the OTF (on the fly) quick defense options (defend the paint, play tight on shooters, etc.) i'm not talking about the settings in the defensive matchup screens (although they can be used as well). use each option at various points during the game. keeping your opponent off balance. throw in a little zone every now and then. i mainly use the 2-3 (defending the paint) or 3-2 (defending against the 3 point shot) zone after a made free throw. your defenders should be in position by the time the offense comes down court. the reason i don't use the settings in the defense matchup screen is to keep the opponent guessing. those settings never change. if your opponent knows exactly how you are playing them, they have the advantage.

9. know the team you are playing and defend accordingly. you wouldn't defend a 3 point shooting team the same as a team that is strong in the paint. even throughout the game, know who is on the floor. pay attention to substitutions. adjust your defense to the players on the court.

10. personally, i say leave the sliders alone. learn to play the game as it was meant to be played. i'm sure when 2k tested (designed) the game it was to be played using the slider sets they made (default, sim, casual). by adjusting sliders you are changing things without knowing how they affect other dynamics of the game. even a "simple" change could have adverse effects.

i like the fact that the game is challenging. your opponent should attack the paint if you don't adjust. i actually lose more than i win, but as long as i'm playing "sim" basketball, i'm ok with it. at the end of the day, it's just a game. i play to have fun. i'm not looking for perfection.
Quote:
if you play on ball defense, i would try conservative defense as your defensive POE while changing your flex POE based on what is happening on the court. ex. getting beat inside (nothing inside), giving up too many threes (limit perimeter shots), getting beat in transition (limit transition), giving up offensive rebounds (crash defensive glass). you can also change your flex POE based on the opposing teams lineup. ex. you don't need to "limit perimeter shots" if your opponent doesn't have three point shooters in the lineup. keep an eye on lineup changes and adjust your POE. with conservative defense, your defenders will play loose (they should be in position to defend the drive). while playing on ball defense, you will have to switch (once the pass is made) and close out on shooters manually.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »