Home

MyLeague/MyGM Braintrust for Building A Contender

This is a discussion on MyLeague/MyGM Braintrust for Building A Contender within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
MyLeague/MyGM Braintrust for Building A Contender

This is a thread to discuss strategies for creating a competitive team that can compete for the championship. This could include roster moves, team composition, player development, dealing with unexpected adversity and on the court strategies for maximizing talent.

To get the discussion going, here are a couple of questions.

First of all, I think the best way to predict future trends (and create realism in 2k) is to look at recent history's patterns.

What did championship teams have that separated them from the rest? What moves did they make to acquire the roster they were successful with? What role did drafting, trading and free agency signings have on the make up of their team?

I just started a MyLeague with the Lakers and I want to build them into a contender as realistic as possible. And these are the questions I'm asking myself in regards to what direction to take the team. I would like to get your input and bounce some ideas of each other so we can all create fun and realistic franchises.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Re: MyLeague/MyGM Braintrust for Building A Contender

You need a top 5 pick...the Warriors are an anomaly.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:32 PM   #3
Rookie

willcoll's Arena

OVR: 1

Interested to see what gets posted on here. I used to easily win three peats in past games but now I haven't been to the finals in NBA 2k15 or 16. First round picks have always been a great way to build but they have to be near the top. Esspecially because most other players take about 4 years to mature into a viable asset on the bench or starting lineup. A good head coach is undervalued. A good coach will bring your team farther than it would have come otherwise. And you need Atleast one superstar. Break the bank or find a star in the draft or something but you need an elite, top 10 player or players to win you a title

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://glb2.warriorgeneral.com/game/signup?ref=401236
Old 12-18-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 6

I was able to turn my Twolves into an 8th rated team just by making two trades that, in my mind, raped the cpu.
First I traded k. Martin and Garnett and a 18 1st Rd pick for K. Love
Then I traded N. Pekovic and T. Prince and A. Miller for A. Bradley sg Bos and E. Turner.
After a tanked 33-49 first season I added a 7th overall pick.
Signed E. Gordon for bench depth

My second season wolves roster looks like this

K. Towns 82
K. Love 85
A. Wiggins 83
A. Bradley 79
R. Rubio 78

Key bench players
Muhammad
Levine
Deing
Gordon
Rookie can't remember his name.

I feel like I will be able to keep this squad together and when towns and Wiggins are 90s that's when championships should come.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #5
Rookie

It took me 5 years to turn the Nets into a powerhouse. I had no one to build around and the Celtics had all my first round picks. Nothing was more painful than seeing my pick turn into a first overall. The Celtics drafted a superstar guard with that pick.

I stripped my team down, and got as many picks as I could. My first top ten pick turned into what would become the highest rated player in the league. I was very fortunate to pick a franchise player at #7.

I took the Sixers approach in acquiring as many assets as I could and moving them around to get great pieces. Imagine if the Sixers got Wiggins and D'Angelo Russell.... Their strategy would have been applauded much more.

I had OKC's draft luck and got my two franchise players. I did not build through free agency. I never went after the top guys.

My keys to building a powerhouse:

- get a 90+ superstar through the draft
- find a sweet shooting guard to complement the superstar
- athletic defensive bigs who can rebound
- get a solid 8-9 man rotation.
- shooters, shooters, shooters
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2015, 12:36 PM   #6
Pro

Depends what rosters you are using. If you are using base rosters, there are an abundance of 80's that Are in the game and that develop. You can just collect 5 or 6 low 80s and you'll have success.

I've seen the sixers win a championship year 3 like this.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 7

If you want realistic as possible securing the top 3 pick like real life and building up the young guys and hitting a quality guy via free agency in 2017 or 2018. Not realistic to poach the game for KD. You could make a trade for someone like Boogie but you'd have to make a realistic trade him. Which would be the 2016 top 3 pick if you get it, Randle and Russell. That kinda puts you back at square one which is why it didn't happen in real life.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
You need a top 5 pick...the Warriors are an anomaly.
I totally agree. Like there was never another Magic Johnson, there may never be another Stephen Curry. There are other freak advantages the Warriors have but it starts with Currys shooting and his influence on defensive strategy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »