Home

Shot IQ Rating?

This is a discussion on Shot IQ Rating? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Shot IQ Rating?

To start, I play for the Orlando Magic in MyCareer as a 7’1” Center. We struggle mightily on offense, and I can already see where the problem is. Victor Oladipo and Tobias Harris take turns jacking up 20+ shots each game, and only making about six or seven of them on a good night. Coach loves to isolate them on the wing, and their go-to move is a fading mid-range jumper that that will usually clank off the rim. And when we fall back on our freelance offense, they never shoot in the flow of the offense. Any open look they receive they ignore and take a bizarre pull up jumper that’s heavily contested.

I was looking over the attributes and I noticed the SHOT IQ rating. And what I noticed is that almost everyone on the Magic have a below average Shot IQ rating, so I was wondering if this would explain my team’s awful shot selection.

So I decided to do a bit of research on this rating to see if it has any sort of effect on the players. So in MyGM I selected the Kings, and Demarcus Cousins became my test subject. His Shot IQ rating was an 80, the average for his position. So using the new training system, I had him focus on nothing but his Shot IQ for the next two and a half seasons, and the rating would jump from 80 to 99. And his FG% reflected the increase. During the first season, his FG% was horrible for a Center, but by the end of the second season, he had improved dramatically.

I was wondering just how much this Shot IQ rating dictates. Does it determine a player’s overall shot selection or affect what kind of shots they’ll take?

Based on the progress Cousins made, I’m assuming that raising the Shot IQ rating determines if a player will take shots that play to their strengths, or if it’s below average, you’ll see a player taking a shot they really have no business taking.

Does anyone know anything else about this rating or do you have any experiences with it?

I want to know if this will translate into MyCareer, because teams like the Magic/Sixers/Bucks are filled with young players that are still learning, and I’m hoping that they eventually learn to take good shots. Or are my teammates doomed to remain morons that can’t take a decent shot even when they’re set up for one.

My goal isn't to complain about the teammate AI, I'm just wondering if this rating can possibly be the solution to bad teammate AI as we go farther into MyCareer.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »