Home

- Off-Ball Defense - "How to Use it Properly?" by Sam Pham (Video)

This is a discussion on - Off-Ball Defense - "How to Use it Properly?" by Sam Pham (Video) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #9
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: - Off-Ball Defense - "How to Use it Properly?" by Sam Pham (Video)

To be honest, the cpu defenders bite so hard on the hesitation dribble that you can bet that man regularly, then read an react to how the scrub off ball man crashes in on you. Because let's be fair here, most people playing off ball aren't doing it like Sam Pham was, honestly Sam Pham's implementation of off ball defense there just seemed like good defense, especially against the pick and roll. but the pick and roll works wonders against off ball zone scrubs. Just use that hesitation and the pick man and play 2 on 1 basketball as the off ball man sits back and tries to just protect the rim, and jump passing lanes. If your pick man has some range also mix in the fade space the floor. Off ball scrubs usually get frustrated because they can't just sit at the rim when you do this, and the zone isn't set up to get cheap steals.

Last edited by ManiacMatt1782; 10-21-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
To be honest, the cpu defenders bite so hard on the hesitation dribble that you can bet that man regularly, then read an react to how the scrub off ball man crashes in on you. Because let's be fair here, most people playing off ball aren't doing it like Sam Pham was, honestly Sam Pham's implementation of off ball defense there just seemed like good defense, especially against the pick and roll. but the pick and roll works wonders against off ball zone scrubs. Just use that hesitation and the pick man and play 2 on 1 basketball as the off ball man sits back and tries to just protect the rim, and jump passing lanes. If your pick man has some range also mix in the fade space the floor. Off ball scrubs usually get frustrated because they can't just sit at the rim when you do this, and the zone isn't set up to get cheap steals.
So space the floor and call the defender for a pick, as well as beating the ball handler. I used to do that great with rose, but in having trouble with Rondo
Old 10-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #11
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepazino
So space the floor and call the defender for a pick, as well as beating the ball handler. I used to do that great with rose, but in having trouble with Rondo
Rondo has trouble knocking down that midrange pull up cosistently, that is probably why. He can hit it, but not as often as Rose will. Rose hits that mid range pull up out of the PNR much more consistiently
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #12
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

I play mostly onball, but I do struggle against people who run an effective patient pick and roll/pop game, and don't just force an interior drive or pass to the roll man, I may try his tactic of denying the pick man, it seems kind of obvious, but something I had never thought to do.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #13
Pro

itchyroll_51's Arena

I am glad we are having this conversation about off ball defense ^_^

Side note guys: I have done about like 15 videos now, I really appreciate everyone's support. I have gotten comfortable with my presentation style so that could be a good thing or bad thing ... Do I speak too fast ? Or are my videos too quick paced ? In person people always complain I talk too fast haha.. Just want to make sure I am not doing it in my videos ^_^
Old 10-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 17

player weigth and momentum are a factor this yr
I am glad I got the Buell- I love riding it, I love the oddball looks I get on the road- I love people asking "What IS that thing?" I love flying into a corner WAY too hot, scared spitless and sure I'll never hold it at this speed- and hearing the bike whisper "Sissy!"...
Old 10-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #15
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyroll_51
I am glad we are having this conversation about off ball defense ^_^

Side note guys: I have done about like 15 videos now, I really appreciate everyone's support. I have gotten comfortable with my presentation style so that could be a good thing or bad thing ... Do I speak too fast ? Or are my videos too quick paced ? In person people always complain I talk too fast haha.. Just want to make sure I am not doing it in my videos ^_^
Honest critique, you are a little fast, but not so fast that the average person couldn't understand you. Honestly I thought you were just speaking a little faster than your normal voice to just try to keep up with your action on screen. Your accent comes out a bit too, but it's not so overbearing that you aren't understandable. You are fine the way you are man, If I made a video, people would probably say I sound too much like a South Philly Italian. Bottom line is you are putting out good information, and that trumps all. If your content is no good, then it doesn't matter how you sound or pace it, noone is gonna care. Just keep putting out good content.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #16
Rookie

Beating a computer defender is pretty easy, especially against poor defenders. People just need to get better at the game smh, all this crying about on and off ball D. A person should play what they feel given the situation or team they're using. Go into blacktop mode pick one on one, select a good defender (Paul George, Chris Paul, Tony Allen, Dwight Howard depending on the position your practicing with) and play vs them practice your dribble moves, post setups. when its out in the perimeter dont focus on scoring, just beat them with a dribble go back to the 3 pt line try it again. Since the game doesnt give you 1 on 1 practice you have to make practice yourself :-/

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »