Home

Questionable CPU Subbing Patterns/Rotations

This is a discussion on Questionable CPU Subbing Patterns/Rotations within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Questionable CPU Subbing Patterns/Rotations

I hope its ok to start this thread, if not can one of the mods please delete/lock/move.

My biggest "issue" with this game is how the CPU subs players and/or uses rotations and I was hoping that someone may have found a workaround, or know something that needs to be done to "fix it" or anything to help resolve the "issue".

What I am talking about is the fact that the CPU does platoon subs, meaning they typically will take 4 or even 5 guys out at once and replace them with a new unit. Also, I've found that the CPU will not have his best players/starters/stars on the court at the end of games or halves. I was playing the Cavs and tied the game at 87-87 in the 4th quarter with 2:37 to go and the Cavs removed their entire starting 5 and played the rest of the game with their second unit.

Is there something that I'm missing? I'm fairly new to the series and am wondering if there is something that I need/should do to fix this issue. Would raising the fatigue slider fix this? Changing substitution from Rotation to Fatigue?

Any insight on how to resolve this matter would be great and much appreciated. I am dying to start MY GM or MY League but this issue is just killing the overall experience for me.

Thank you in advance!

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Questionable CPU Subbing Patterns/Rotations

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I hope its ok to start this thread, if not can one of the mods please delete/lock/move.

My biggest "issue" with this game is how the CPU subs players and/or uses rotations and I was hoping that someone may have found a workaround, or know something that needs to be done to "fix it" or anything to help resolve the "issue".

What I am talking about is the fact that the CPU does platoon subs, meaning they typically will take 4 or even 5 guys out at once and replace them with a new unit. Also, I've found that the CPU will not have his best players/starters/stars on the court at the end of games or halves. I was playing the Cavs and tied the game at 87-87 in the 4th quarter with 2:37 to go and the Cavs removed their entire starting 5 and played the rest of the game with their second unit.

Is there something that I'm missing? I'm fairly new to the series and am wondering if there is something that I need/should do to fix this issue. Would raising the fatigue slider fix this? Changing substitution from Rotation to Fatigue?

Any insight on how to resolve this matter would be great and much appreciated. I am dying to start MY GM or MY League but this issue is just killing the overall experience for me.

Thank you in advance!
I agree but I think changing sub to fatigue only does it for you. But you think that's bad? Wait until you play MC and coach subs you in with 10 seconds left every quarter and/or has you running the floor with scrubs.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
The Real Birdman

Mikelopedia's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:

Thank you in advance!
Also no matter what you do the starters all end up with 30+ minutes. 6th men will never play more than 17. Your issue where the game was tied and the 2nd unit was subbed in must have been a random glitch because the prevailing issue that i've seen is after the first dead ball in the 4th quarter, the 5 starters are subbed in and left there for the remainder of the game unless it's a blowout.

I've posted a few times on this bug, and have experimented extensively with the bench utilization and performance factor sliders, doesn't seem to be much we can do.

PSN: MiiikeMarsh

Last edited by Mikelopedia; 10-24-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:

Thank you in advance!
The only work around is to first have 2 controllers. Whenever the CPU makes a stupid sub, example:

*subbing a starter back in the first quarter after he picked up two fouls.
*subbing a whole unit in at one time
*subbing the starters back in after the 1st dead ball in the 4th quarter

These are the only dumb subs I really see.

What I do is when the I know the CPU is about to make a dumb sub, I will pause the game and use the other controller to take control of the CPU. I then make the appropriate sub or non sub. After the next dead ball, the CPU won't make the dumb sub. I think the game is hard coded for certain types of subs but once you alternate it,then it goes back to realistic logic.

For example, im playing against the clippers and the CPU has Jamal Crawford starting the 4th quarter. I foul chris paul for a shooting foul and I notice they are about to bring jj redick back in the game with 11:17 left in the 4th. I use the other controller, take over the clippers, keep Crawford in the game and now he plays around a good 8 minutes until he is taken out. Even with fouls and dead balls.

The only way to get realistic subbing is by taking over the CPU teams to manage their subs. I haven't really messed with the coaching sliders in regard to bench utilization but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like it's supposed to.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
Rookie

2k rotations are terrible for years now. Every starter plays the whole 4th quarter no matter what.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2014, 11:05 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 2

The 2 things I notices the most about rotations that I don't like are.
1. Even if the game is a blow out you don't see the CPU taking guys out. I have had a lot of games where either I am up by 20 or the CPU is with like 5 minutes left and instead of taking guys out they will keep them in the game.
2. Starts play to many minutes. I have seen so many starters that play 40-43 minutes and part of that goes with the first problem. Some times when starters play 40-43 minutes if the CPU where to take guys out when they should in a blow out those 40-43 minutes could be 34-37 minutes.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:37 AM   #7
The Real Birdman

Mikelopedia's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohns23
The only work around is to first have 2 controllers. Whenever the CPU makes a stupid sub, example:

*subbing a starter back in the first quarter after he picked up two fouls.
*subbing a whole unit in at one time
*subbing the starters back in after the 1st dead ball in the 4th quarter

These are the only dumb subs I really see.

What I do is when the I know the CPU is about to make a dumb sub, I will pause the game and use the other controller to take control of the CPU. I then make the appropriate sub or non sub. After the next dead ball, the CPU won't make the dumb sub. I think the game is hard coded for certain types of subs but once you alternate it,then it goes back to realistic logic.

For example, im playing against the clippers and the CPU has Jamal Crawford starting the 4th quarter. I foul chris paul for a shooting foul and I notice they are about to bring jj redick back in the game with 11:17 left in the 4th. I use the other controller, take over the clippers, keep Crawford in the game and now he plays around a good 8 minutes until he is taken out. Even with fouls and dead balls.

The only way to get realistic subbing is by taking over the CPU teams to manage their subs. I haven't really messed with the coaching sliders in regard to bench utilization but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like it's supposed to.
Interesting find. But then does the game eventually end with the starters anyway?

PSN: MiiikeMarsh
Old 10-26-2014, 12:04 AM   #8
MVP

This has been a problem for a loong time man.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »