Home

The "Y" (or triangle) button on defense...

This is a discussion on The "Y" (or triangle) button on defense... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 4
Re: The "Y" (or triangle) button on defense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
this, blocks overall, as well as pass deflections seem to be better after the patch... anyone else notice this?
Yeah im on pc but i did notice things getting a little better after the patch. Still need alot of work though. Hands still flying through balls.

To the op, ive been controlling my center more now to reduce off rebounds and putbacks. I mainly play with the Pacers and myleague Knicks(Noel at C) and ive noticed the block button being unresponsive.

Ill try the defensive assist at 50.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2014, 03:52 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 1
The "Y" (or triangle) button on defense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorGeneral
The 2 quotes that immediately come to mind from Beluba's thread are:

People should pay attention to the 2nd one in particular, because I think that some of the time what's happening, is ppl are trying to block a shot with a guy that's not necessarily in a good position to actually block it, and maybe that's why the button becomes unresponsive.

I know that it's tough sledding around here to admit that maybe we as the user are doing something wrong (I mean, we're always in perfect position, and always do everything right ...We are ALL guilty of this, myself definitely included), but it does need to be accounted for, because, as Mike said (albeit in less words), there's no fathomable reason why a guy should be moving one way with his man off the ball, away from the play, then be able to immediately turn, jump and block a shot all in one motion. Physics would like to have a word with someone that thinks that is possible.

The button unresponsiveness has definitely happened to me (and I play with the Bucks, so I have Sanders and Henson, 2 great shot blockers down there), and it's frustrated the hell out of me when I go to jump, and they don't. I'd like to think that I was in perfect position, and that the game put the screws to me, but I honestly don't know. After he (Mike) made that remark, I'll definitely keep an eye out on future "non jumps", and try and see if maybe it/they were just unrealistic block attempts.

There should never be a non jump that's overridden early by a contact animation, however. At the very least you should be able to put a hand up in that animation, and if you're not in perfect position or late, your defender should still try to jump and contest the shot and reach towards the ball or try to put a hand on top of it, effectively or not. Perhaps foul. He shouldn't just not contest at all.

I figure the dropped inputs will be fixed but late contests should still behave like contests rather than be ignored, where your 7 foot rim protector is bowled over by a 6'2 guard with minimal resistance who then makes his contact layup.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:28 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtics4Life
I also have this issue. I been playing 2k basketball since 2k10 and I think this year more then the previous 4 has the most delay with the Y button. I actually wouldn't even call it a delay. It's more of a no response. So many times a smaller PG or SG will take the ball right in the paint and my small forward will be unable to contest the shot at all due to no response from the Y button.
I hate to agree with a Celtic's fan but he's right. I swear it feels like this "delay" bug as been in 2k since 2k11/2k12. I mostly play My Career since it's birth, as a PF/C and there's nothing more frustrating than this bug/glitch/whatever you want to label it. It definitely was in the last 2 versions (360/PS4) and still is in this one.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:03 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 0
Smile Re: The "Y" (or triangle) button on defense...

I have definitely experienced times when I want to contest shots, but the defender doesn't do anything. Very different to 2k14 where you could block lots of shots and make the CPU miss layups, even on HOF/sim.

Whilst its frustrating, my only concern is that if they change this it might alter the balance of the gameplay. It could make it quite a bit easier to defend. Also my current block statistics on superstar/sim are already a little bit high.

I feel that there should be more foul calls if we can get up to contest shots earlier. NBA defenders can't contest every layup/dunk (as I used to on 2k14) or they will get fouled out very quickly. Just my uneducated views
Old 10-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #29
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

I don't know if there is a mechanic tied to it. I think it might just be broken. I've gotten good button responses in certain situations, then in a very similar situation gotten a bad delay or no response at all.

I think there is both a philosophical problem relating blocks/steals to ratings as well as a mechanical problem with the Y/Triangle button, because it also happens on rebounds.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Yes it happens to me all the time. I just hold it down and sometimes the players jumps after the shot goes through the basket. Frustrating.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:08 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 0

Putting defensive assisr at 50 kind of band aided the problem. Block button feels much more responsive.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2014, 03:34 AM   #32
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotobu
Yes, YES, for the love of god YES. It's extremely annoying. I'll be in perfect position, hit the button, aaaand nothing. While we're on the subject what's worse is that because of this sometimes I'll rapid tap the button. This causes me to double jump. What ends up happening is that when my guy finally decides to jump 2-3 seconds after I wanted him to, he'll do another jump right after the first animation completes (Even though I stopped tapping before the first jump happened), rendering me useless and jumping around like a maniac.
...and then he blows out his knee. #2K'd!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »