Home

Why can't 2K look this good ?

This is a discussion on Why can't 2K look this good ? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #17
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Why can't 2K look this good ?

These kids today don't know how good we have it.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 0

Play the game with camera angle Action 2. Players are closer to the camera and while they are moving, shooting, dunking, you'll be amazed by how good the game actually looks.

Especially the free throw sequences.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #19
Zero Finger Movement

CRIP4LIFE's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
man....I guess when came from this:

Where we're at today is pretty impressive.
i'm older than you i guess.. i stayed up for damn near 1 week straight, when i was 11 or 12, playing this:

and i was in heaven.
NCAA - CLEMSON
Old 10-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #20
Rookie

Kids ?

lol, I'm pretty sure I still have my NES and my copy of Double Dribble... I'm 31 years old, I been around and so what I got a little excited over a slick looking clip of my favorite game and wanted to talk about it, some of you guys need to get off your assumption galloping high horses guys for real

and BegBy yea I agree with your statment, but let me put it this way.... both 2K and EA have been using an old core engine from back in the PS2 and Dreamcast days, so my question is how much longer can they spit shine and polish it and continue to use it, I'm very surprised they managed to do it for this console generation, but I'm quite sure and I hope that they have no choice but to finally build something from the ground up...

I mean does anyone really believe Live's "ignite" and 2K's "locomotion" are anything more than buzzwords.... I really got excited because they were leading us to believe they are new engines more appropriate for this new generation, but turned out to be nothing than more spit n shine....

Gameplay is more important than visuals, but everyone likes their eye candy

Last edited by ChrisCP3Paul; 10-29-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCP3Paul
I'm not really talking about performance, just the overall quality of the items on display. Performance anyway gets better with years as we all know
If some guy (probably a small animation team who've never picked up a basketball in their life) sitting in a Sony office somewhere can make a rim and net as realistic as that, can make the player models and body types look THAT realistic....

then why can't 2K who have a massive team dedicated to doing exactly that, can at least get some of the details down....

We still got the floating one size fit all baggy muffin top over the waist band jerseys, which make pretty much every players torso look identical regardless of body type... we still got the fish net hook and horrible nets in 2K, etc....

Its the same reason why when some people saw the COMMERCIAL for Madden 06 for the 360 and PS3 they were like OMG!!! Madden looks awesome this year!!! Then cried and complained that it looked NOTHING like the TV commercial. There is a difference between setting up a whole sequence of 30 seconds... rendering it over hours if not days, then serving it up as a RECORDED 30 second commercial VS trying to have that render in real time at 30 or 60 FPS and have it re render and re draw and re light everything on a whim based on your controller input. Consoles cannot handle that right now, not even high end gaming PC's with 3 cards running in it... think about it.. Remember those AMAZING CGI Rendered cinematics in your PS2 (yes I said PS2) Final Fantasy games? The reason why graphics like that can date back to even those systems is because your console wasnt rendering the CGI scene.. it was simply playing a recording of a CGI scene that took hours if not days to render. Thats the difference between rendered CGI served back up on your screen thats been recorded VS your actual machine rendering CGI. Remember back when people had Sega Saturns and Sega CD's? There were games with full motion video in them, but you werent controlling the video.. its was simply playing. It had been shot, recorded and mixed down in the studio then the recording put in your game on a disc.

PSN = LordHveMercy08

XBL = Lord Hve Mercy

Add me now, because I don't like playing with little random 12 year olds.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #22
Banned

Oh man, Sega CD. That brings me back...
Old 10-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
man....I guess when came from this:

Where we're at today is pretty impressive.
Looks like the cut scenes in mycareer
Old 10-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #24
MVP

BBallcoach's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookid
Patience my friend. CGI level gaming is not too far off. I'd say 4-5 years we'll be there.
Not on these current consoles... they are the equivalent to a 4 year old PC. And they want to push 8-10 years out of them. On PC, we could see that kind of stuff now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »