Home

NBA 2K15's Mike Wang Answers Your Questions (Interview)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15's Mike Wang Answers Your Questions (Interview) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #121
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: NBA 2K15's Mike Wang Answers Your Questions (Interview)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperb
There might not be Comeback Code in this game but there is something that happens in a lot of 4th quarters that seem to make the winning team miss more open shots than usual while the losing team seems to catch fire until the score is very close. Then it's all of a sudden a back and forth.

In the park I can actually tell you what is about to happen during most possessions depending on the score late in a game. The more you're being spanked by as time goes on equals the hotter your team gets from the arc, on the glass and scrapping with MINIMAL MISHAPS.

2k is not just a company or a title anymore. Online 2K is an adjective. You try to do this but that happens and you say aloud to the people in your party (game chat doesn't work), "that's bs and I didn't try to do that, I tried to do this" and almost always someone says, "2k" or "aye man that's 2k" or "that's that 2k s***".

There really should be an outrage with petitions and all like K said but judging by the arguments on this post unity can never happen to force them to tackle some of the major issues. It seems like some people are undercover 2K employees in these forums at times.

Also there should be votes on the top ten questions to be asked next time. When we ask EXTRA questions with some that kind of need to be answered, the rep can choose the least painful ones to answer.

I don't post much because it always seems to be useless or a dead post because I not a high ranking whatever but I'm on this site all of the time. I even got suspended for bashing Live14 for being what I thought was a unanimously terrible game.

Been playing B Ball videogames since the Atari 2600.
Own every NBA 2K title to date.
Owned every NBA Live title from 95-2005

#GoSpurs
I swear I feel like this in the park lol if we're losing by 6 I can take my big man with a 43 in three pointers and hit one lol. But he said there's no come back so idk but I can call shots in park games easily too
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #122
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by amedawg00
If OA in the form of Myleague online fails to materialize in 2k16, then the writing will be on the wall that 2k is content to abandon online league and Association heads.

Even though this is OT, I have to say I agree with this sentiment. At least the online part. Association heads, in general, have it made.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:02 AM   #123
Rookie

burter's Arena

OVR: 6

I'm at the point I'm soooo pissed off with MC mode I want to punch someone. I'm just heated right now. How the f does every single god damn thing you do is stuck in an animation? I'm a PG and Idk how many times I pass the ball to a cutting big man, or anyone for that matter, who is behind a defender only to catch the ball and instead of them going straight up and dunking it or doing a layup or finishing their drive too the basket, they freaking stop in their tracks, do some animation thing with the defender, WHO IS FREAKING BEHIND THEM, and end up doing some weird layup animation and misses the layup. Like really 2k? Are we going to start going down madden's route with the bs stuff you are doing? Answering questions my f____ing a##.

Quotes lines from Mr. Schwarzenegger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxn0...eature=related

How to not get your a** kicked by the police.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=uj0mtxXEGE8#!

Last edited by burter; 11-15-2014 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #124
Rookie

timbofry1's Arena

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmrfrosty7
Good info and good to know they're working on what they can in the upcoming patch. These attentions to detail get me excited about future iterations (the body contact, to shot release mechanics for instance).

Couple of takeaways though:

--- On My Career AI - A: The biggest difference between your AI teammates and your AI opponents is there are certain bonuses and influences in place to make your teammates "cooperate" with you, and in the case of MyCareer, involve you more than they normally might another AI teammate of the same caliber. This is done in an attempt to make playing MyCareer more interesting for the average user. So AI teammates might shoot shots they'd normally pass up because you're telling them to shoot or because they're trying to help you get assists.

I think this is the reason I eventually can't stand MyCareer. My player becomes a star (even though I'm rated in the low 70s) because the team already revolves around my player essentially from the start. I wish they'd give you the option at least to have default AI versus MyCareer-focused AI because the experience could be potentially more interesting for players that want to feel like part of an NBA team and not strictly a superstar. But I should also probably give up on this ever being a sim mode.

---- Q: Can you explain shot fatigue? When does it kick in?
A: There are two types of shot fatigue, jump shot and collision. The jump shot fatigue looks at the player's real life FGA stat and as soon as the player has exceeded the avg. number of FGAs, the %'s start to drop. The penalties can be pretty severe if you go way over the player's real life stats so be careful. Collision fatigue is a cumulative fatigue that drains with each successive collision in the paint (both body ups and contact shots.) The contact shot %'s drop a little bit each time there's a collision and it adds up over the course of the game.

We definitely saw an example of shot/contact fatigue irl for Russell Westbrook last night. Hit everything and looked unstoppable for the first 2-1/2 to 3 quarters, but with the combination of playing that relentlessly, getting little rest (due to a thin bench), playing stellar defense against Lillard, and getting little offensive help (someone else who can create their own shot), all of the same spectacular pull-ups and contact lay-ins weren't falling anymore down the stretch.

The biggest thing to adding it to the game though is I think it has to have some sort of indicator, just like fatigue. Otherwise, there might as well not be a fatigue meter either and play it close to real life in that respect also by gauging who the player is (age, condition), their minutes, etc.

Overall I like the idea of shot fatigue. Playing 12 minute quarters, I like the idea of having to mix up my play-calling and riding various hot hands when possible while managing rotations, so that I don't have players tired or cold down the stretch. It's very realistic in that sense. However the game should guide users to such strategies because it could go a long way to both educating gamers on sports strategy, as well as really sell the depth and realism to 2k's gameplay.
I agree with you that shot fatigue needs to be indicated somewhere in game. Like you, I like the fact that it is in there and can lead to a more realistic game of basketball, but with no indicator in game, it makes it tough to understand and apply. If one of my bench players is having the game of his life, and I keep him fresh overall, I hate to see him start missing lots of shots just because he usually only takes a few shots per game. I'd like to know more about shot fatigue. And I hope it is dynamic and changes over time...like if you have this player on your team that you are giving a bigger role on your team, like promoting from bench to starter, I'd hope his shot fatigue changes and develops over time, as he may be taking 10 shots per game now instead of 4 shots per game off the bench, or something like that...
Old 12-11-2014, 01:17 AM   #125
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls
I feel as though whenever you get a pretty decent lead whether it be 10 points or more no matter what quarter your in, you'll eventually see you team take a penalty in shot percentages. I believe this is done to keep a pretty even balance in shot percentages for both teams toward the end of the game.

Every game I play online is a close game. Its no way for me to blow my opponent out no matter how sorry they are or better I am. I can have an 11 point lead, 15 point lead it doesn't matter. Eventually I'll start missing wide open shots and going back for put back slow allowing for the defense to recover, passing the ball out of bounds (still playing patient offense as I was when I developed the big lead). Then you see your opponent come down and hit some of the most ridiculous, contested shots that you know they have no business making. Its like I can tell when this stuff is about to happen and its nothing you can do about it no matter how good of D you play, or efficient you run your offense. Its completely unavoidable.

Check your team comparison stats at the end of the game. If you look at the team field goals made you'll notice almost 90% of the time either you or your opponent will have 1 field goal made more then the opposing player. So if you went 15-40 from the field then your opponent will have went 14-44 from the field. This is just an example. But I think they purposely made it this way to keep percentages balanced which is why you see some crazy shots go in which makes it an eye soar to see some of these things happening.

Like I said before, I'm 100% positive they used a different system for shot percentages in 2k11 which is why the disparity in skill level would be so noticeable.
i thought this was just me, i totally feel what everyone is saying on this, i could have a 15 oint lead only to have the fool come back when i run the perfect offiense, its completely unavoidable, i think 2k did out in some kind of balance to keep it competitve online, also i notice the lack of FOUL calls which completely frustrates me, it seems like certain players like lebron, chris paul or james harden get foul calls nearly 80-90% of the time, but when i use andre igudala he has finisher and highlight film signature skills but never uses them with no foul call 90% of the time, its like every time i go to the hoop no matter how i do it, even ump fakes no longer work, the defender will not fall for them like they used too....there are just no foul calls or not enoug when making contact , its ridculous, i almost dont wanna lay this gakme anymore because its unbalanced, it also feels like the game play online has changed as well like someone mentioned, one day about a 23 weeks agi i was on a 25 game winning streak, i had a nice pick and roll game and was destroying people but now with what seems like a patch its nearly impossible for me to play the same way, i have lost so many games and went on a 6 game losing streaking from this.... its like the defnese has been turned u for the AI and its harder to shake the defender loose on offense. my biggest concern are the FOULS, please fix this, its really unfair when you have a good scrorer or finisher and he cant make and 1's or go to the hoo without being chopped and no foul call only to miss a shot , anyone else feel me on this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2014, 01:42 AM   #126
Pro

zrohman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparJimmy
i thought this was just me, i totally feel what everyone is saying on this, i could have a 15 oint lead only to have the fool come back when i run the perfect offiense, its completely unavoidable, i think 2k did out in some kind of balance to keep it competitve online, also i notice the lack of FOUL calls which completely frustrates me, it seems like certain players like lebron, chris paul or james harden get foul calls nearly 80-90% of the time, but when i use andre igudala he has finisher and highlight film signature skills but never uses them with no foul call 90% of the time, its like every time i go to the hoop no matter how i do it, even ump fakes no longer work, the defender will not fall for them like they used too....there are just no foul calls or not enoug when making contact , its ridculous, i almost dont wanna lay this gakme anymore because its unbalanced, it also feels like the game play online has changed as well like someone mentioned, one day about a 23 weeks agi i was on a 25 game winning streak, i had a nice pick and roll game and was destroying people but now with what seems like a patch its nearly impossible for me to play the same way, i have lost so many games and went on a 6 game losing streaking from this.... its like the defnese has been turned u for the AI and its harder to shake the defender loose on offense. my biggest concern are the FOULS, please fix this, its really unfair when you have a good scrorer or finisher and he cant make and 1's or go to the hoo without being chopped and no foul call only to miss a shot , anyone else feel me on this?
Seems like you were winning because nobody could play on ball defense (because of input lag) and you zoomed past everyone. Since the patch they patched it with no input lag, and they patch it so you can't just zig zag past people. I'm sure most people will assume that you can't adjust because they patched the very exploits that you used.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:43 AM   #127
Pro

ruxpinke's Arena

OVR: 3

Bingo lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2014, 02:28 AM   #128
Rookie

no i never really used the zig zag, i think thats mad cheesy, im talking about breaking past defenders running my pick and roll offense...its harder to get the defense to commit. its certainly noticeable. and agian the fouls are my biggest gripe, sometimes i have to only take outside shots because my best big man gets hacked to death with no foul calls but the other team can have a fly land on him and the blow the whistle....thats really annoying and one sided, it happens more times than not, ive allowed about 25-30 games to see if it was just me but its not. and also most of the people i layed were using off ball D, some did on ball which are the ones who are really good . they need to get rid of the cheese steals and strips. some players exploit it somehow, you shouldnt be able to strip steph curry or damon lilliard all game long. sometimes it really seems i find people who either hack the game or find a way to cheat/exploit the game, because its almost like a robot with "cannot lose" program is laying against me. im no noob, but im not the #1 layer in the world wither, i have nearly figuered out every possible way to play this game, but yet when i play against the "hackers" it seems they can do no wrong and destroy you on defense especially when they pick weak teams....gimme a break

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »