Home

Would you agree that this is a true statement about the defensive stance?

This is a discussion on Would you agree that this is a true statement about the defensive stance? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Read below
I agree strongly 23 74.19%
I agree but its not a major problem 5 16.13%
Never noticed 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #9
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Would you agree that this is a true statement about the defensive stance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapboY
I picked the 2nd option, because though I agree with the statement, I think it's just something that needs tweaking, not something that's totally broken.
I feel the same way. I actually like that people aren't able to stop the drive in the paint and block a shot at the three point line all at once. The recovery speed on defense has been way too fast in these games over the years. You'd see people turboing all over the court trying to get steals and covering multiple offensive players at once. Players are actually penalized for that style of play now. It also makes you much more cognizant on defense when you're guarding someone much quicker than you. You aren't able to get inside a player's shirt if he's quicker than you. You have to give room (which risks the pull-up jumper), be very careful with your movements to avoid getting crossed up, and use angles to beat the guy to where he's going. And I love that closeouts on shooters are actually a risk/reward thing this year. You have to decide whether you're going to close out fully to contest the shot (but you'll get blown by if the offensive player puts it on the floor), or if you're going to let up on the sticks and give yourself a chance to stop the drive (but you might not get to the shooter in time if he does a catch-and-shoot). This actually feels like real life. Chopping your feet on a closeout keeps you under control, but it slows you down. Running right up to the shooter will give you a better contest, but you're out of control and at risk of overrunning the play if the guy puts it on the floor.

That being said, the movement definitely isn't perfect. I've gotten pretty good at feathering the sticks, but sometimes, I'll still go flying in a certain direction even with as subtle a move as possible. Also, I like the delay when I'm moving because I'm fighting my own momentum. That feels pretty realistic to me. But when I'm under control, or stationary, guys shouldn't feel quite this sluggish when making their initial move. And lastly, if there was ever a year where we needed to be able to shade our defensive stance and force the ball handler in one direction or the other, it's this year. Nobody in real life defends a guy straight up. You're always forcing the offensive player in a certain direction ... which is hopefully towards your help. No matter how good of an athlete/defender you are, if you let an NBA guy have the option of going in either direction, you'll never keep them out of the paint.

Last edited by Pokes404; 11-03-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #10
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

My on ball defense against the CPU is just fine(I've only played my Center in MyPark so on ball D isn't a factor there).

The question isn't about whether or not defense can be effective on the ball. It can be.

The problem is that it feels sluggish, unintuitive and doesn't move like real basketball defense. You don't shuffle your feet quickly. You can't take off in a burst. Worst of all, the transitions between one kind of movement and another are pretty bad right now.

Moving from transition defense, to chasing people around screens, to playing on the ball, to contesting all highlight the limitations of defensive player movement in this game. If you isolate any one of them(with the exception of off ball defense), they are ok, but the flow of defensive movement is poor and holding this game back across all competitive modes of play, as well as MyCareer.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #11
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
They broke a cardinal rule in creating movement and moves: You can't give something slow startup AND slow recovery.
I see what you mean. Especially with big men, if you slide seven feet in the stance its going to be slow after you move that seven feet and change directions the momentum kicks in like they were hauling tail to get there.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »