Home

If set plays decide where a player spots up on the court, what if a player is traded?

This is a discussion on If set plays decide where a player spots up on the court, what if a player is traded? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
If set plays decide where a player spots up on the court, what if a player is traded?

What if, say, Larry Sanders (I just picked a big man who's good but whose jump shot is terrible) went to Miami and replaced Bosh (this is completely hypothetical, so just stay with me)?

Now you have Miami's offense, which is based around the center spreading the floor, attempting to use Sanders in the same role that Bosh filled, and that's obviously not going to work.

What happens then? All of a sudden the AI isn't playing right, and since Larry Sanders is spotting up from 20+ feet consistently, defending the interior probably becomes laughably easy, to the point of feeling like cheese.

I feel like this is such a potential issue that I don't even wanna start a MyLeague since this might happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: If set plays decide where a player spots up on the court, what if a player is tra

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I'd imagine that since he has a low touches tendency, CPU won't run plays for him. Now maybe the heat have iso or post up plays for Wade that include the C spotting up outside, then yes, that may be easier to defend.

But that whole hypothetical scenario is a silly reason to not start a myLeague. If you're that concerned about it just edit their playbook. I don't think the CPU will have that difficult of a time scoring regardless.
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Old 11-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
MVP

Re: If set plays decide where a player spots up on the court, what if a player is tra

That's a good point about the touches, but I guess just imagine if it was a player with high touches. It seems like you agree that it wouldn't be fair, and I'm not sure how much work it would be to change a team's playbook every time a trade/injury/FA signing happens that's not conducive to the team's current gameplan.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
Rookie

City_foxx's Arena

A player with high touches at that pos would be a post player. Ive never seen a play in the play book that has guys post at the 3 point line. Also your not taking into account freelance. Not every poss cpu runs a set play. The pace n space freelance is scary even without a strech 5 because wade is a master at drawing fouls, floater, pull ups ect. Also if your sagging off (sanders) to 'pack the paint' you be no where near in postion to help stop a 3 or mid if he sets an off ball screen for a shooter. 1 more point coaches do get fired bye ai so if coach spo plays sanders as a stretch 5 and the heat win 12 games, you can expect a new coach/playbook next season.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_foxx
A player with high touches at that pos would be a post player. Ive never seen a play in the play book that has guys post at the 3 point line. Also your not taking into account freelance. Not every poss cpu runs a set play. The pace n space freelance is scary even without a strech 5 because wade is a master at drawing fouls, floater, pull ups ect. Also if your sagging off (sanders) to 'pack the paint' you be no where near in postion to help stop a 3 or mid if he sets an off ball screen for a shooter. 1 more point coaches do get fired bye ai so if coach spo plays sanders as a stretch 5 and the heat win 12 games, you can expect a new coach/playbook next season.
You definitely make a good point about set plays/freelance (and off ball screens for shooters), but freelance might be even more of a problem. Miami's freelance set would tell the center to spot up for jumpers, wouldn't it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
Rookie

City_foxx's Arena

Its a 4 out screen heavy sorta deal so most likley (sanders) would be in the slot and mcroberts would be out side
Old 11-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #7
MVP

You're saying the game knows which player to put close to the basket in a 4-out/1-in offense, and it's not just relegated to position?
Old 11-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #8
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm pretty sure you can customize your playbook in MyLeague and design your own offense and that would eliminate your problem of using a stock playbook.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »