Home

My tips for playing On-Ball defense (on or offline)

This is a discussion on My tips for playing On-Ball defense (on or offline) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2014, 02:47 AM   #49
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: My tips for playing On-Ball defense (on or offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknightrises
I don't know how you can say that the CPU doesn't try to get into the paint. If any thing they try to get into the paint to much.
I think its dependent on the team you play.

I just played Phoenix with their POE set to get inside, and I had a heap of trouble keeping Bledsoe out of the lane.

But Ive had games where Paul didnt look like wanting to penetrate inside.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:52 AM   #50
Banned

OVR: 0

I think when people refer to "feathering" they are talking about being precise and gentle with the Left stick to position your player.

But...this also goes for the Right stick though too. Because you can use the right stick to slide step and bump the offensive player. Sometimes I will overplay one side so the player has to go that way...and so I almost KNOW what direction I am going to have to hit the Right Stick in order to "recover" and slow down the dribbler.

These are your main two weapons. The others are with the L2 to defend intensely...and L2+R2 to get in a defensive stance and slide quicker.

Then pick your spots with the steal and jump buttons.

In my experience, the jump button is slow to react and really only seems useful if trying to get a block from behind. It's a shame there aren't some more realistic blocks...because the few I have seen LOOK great. But most of the blocks I see are almost nonsensical.

The other thing is selective use of the R1 (Double team) button....like when you get beat and need a help defender to step up immediately. The thing to remember here is that the help will most likely come from a big...which means he will leave his man and leave you open to getting hurt on the offensive glass...but most times that is better than a dunk or layup...and you can try and scramble to rotate and get the rebound.

You can also use the R1 + icon double team if your opponent gets predictable...and has a "weak link" on offense. I've had guys who just want to take 30 shots with their STAR player and I've used this with success.

It's the whole idea of "making someone else beat you". Again...there are risks. Offensive rebounds, open threes, layups, dunks, etc...

A good player will see what you're doing and adjust. The thing is, most good players would never employ this "ball hog" strategy to begin with, so if someone is using it against you they are likely a "one trick pony" and won't have an answer for you when you start locking down their ball hog.

Last thing is closing out. Its best to use the right stick, but sometimes the jump button is effective if you are scrambling to rotate and recover on D.

Contesting shots and closing out on shooters is very effective...and once you get just AVERAGE at it, you will see a nice drop in opponent FG %.

Hope some of this stuff helps.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #51
Banned

madmax52277's Arena

First of all big up the therealHST for his tips that work's very well.
And I learn a few new tips on this post.
What I notice that if your team goes on a run all the controls respond quickly.
And my teammates started playing denfence.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #52
Just started!

These work much better in quick match than the park unfortunately But that's when good teammates come into play
Old 11-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #53
MVP

P234thetruth's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by coached17
I think when people refer to "feathering" they are talking about being precise and gentle with the Left stick to position your player.

But...this also goes for the Right stick though too. Because you can use the right stick to slide step and bump the offensive player. Sometimes I will overplay one side so the player has to go that way...and so I almost KNOW what direction I am going to have to hit the Right Stick in order to "recover" and slow down the dribbler.

These are your main two weapons. The others are with the L2 to defend intensely...and L2+R2 to get in a defensive stance and slide quicker.

Then pick your spots with the steal and jump buttons.

In my experience, the jump button is slow to react and really only seems useful if trying to get a block from behind. It's a shame there aren't some more realistic blocks...because the few I have seen LOOK great. But most of the blocks I see are almost nonsensical.

The other thing is selective use of the R1 (Double team) button....like when you get beat and need a help defender to step up immediately. The thing to remember here is that the help will most likely come from a big...which means he will leave his man and leave you open to getting hurt on the offensive glass...but most times that is better than a dunk or layup...and you can try and scramble to rotate and get the rebound.

You can also use the R1 + icon double team if your opponent gets predictable...and has a "weak link" on offense. I've had guys who just want to take 30 shots with their STAR player and I've used this with success.

It's the whole idea of "making someone else beat you". Again...there are risks. Offensive rebounds, open threes, layups, dunks, etc...

A good player will see what you're doing and adjust. The thing is, most good players would never employ this "ball hog" strategy to begin with, so if someone is using it against you they are likely a "one trick pony" and won't have an answer for you when you start locking down their ball hog.

Last thing is closing out. Its best to use the right stick, but sometimes the jump button is effective if you are scrambling to rotate and recover on D.

Contesting shots and closing out on shooters is very effective...and once you get just AVERAGE at it, you will see a nice drop in opponent FG %.

Hope some of this stuff helps.
This post was gold and exactly what I've been trying to ask and put into words. It helped me last night for sure. Turbo is to be used sparingly before I was using a combination of L2 + R2 and the right stick and sliding so much all over the place and getting beat. The keys are to use mainly just the joysticks like you said and if they are getting by you tap L2 to bump them worked for me.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #54
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by P234thetruth
This post was gold and exactly what I've been trying to ask and put into words. It helped me last night for sure. Turbo is to be used sparingly before I was using a combination of L2 + R2 and the right stick and sliding so much all over the place and getting beat. The keys are to use mainly just the joysticks like you said and if they are getting by you tap L2 to bump them worked for me.

Thanks
No prob.

Yep...you can bump with L2...and you can also get a little bump with the Right Stick as well. Both are about the same. I seem to do a little better with the Right Stick because I can also get my hands up to contest...and some other things seem to happen when I use the right stick - like the ball getting knocked loose or passes being tipped.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:30 AM   #55
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coached17

I love this quote because it's my offensive approach explained for defense. I run SG on the park, but love to run point and be the drive and kick guy. I'll force one or two possessions and make them think I'm going to be a ball hog and then punish them on the collapse.

People are predictable. 9 out of 10 times a person goes baseline on the wings. If you don't believe me play some games and keep track of how many times people go baseline (Yourself included). I actually cheat toward the baseline on defense in that situation, because people are either too scared, or lack the stick skills to go into the lane.

I once played a game of 2k14 on PS3 where I was on point and my opponent had 7 turn overs, and missed 15 (Yes, 15!) Shots. He sent me an angry message and demanded to know how I was hacking or what magic I used to stop "The best scorer ever, dawg". He was dumbfounded when I told him there was a 95% chance he'd go right on the inbound.

Went to a private blacktop, unbounded the ball, and sure enough he went right and got ripped. Next time he went left and got ripped. Then he rage quit. All games boil down to tendancies. Magic: The Gathering is knowing your opponents deck and his bluffs. Call of Duty is knowing that after the game of domination starts, 2 guys will be in the window if you take path A, and a guy is likely to pop out of a corner on path B.

2k15 boils down to what the opponents like to do. If it's left right cheese, you know not to jump or steal, just follow them and hands up contest. If they drive baseline, and you stop them, they're going to try to force baseline again. If the do 600 dribble moves, they want you to reach, so stand there and wait for the move they are about to make.

Get into their head with this, and it becomes you playing by yourself because they get so frustrated you'll start reading and reacting to moves they didn't even know they were about to make.

Last thing is this: Be careful with the passing lanes. All of us have tried for a cheap steal off the inbound, and if you get the wrong steal animation you're carried completely out of position.

This thread is awesome, Keep the info flowing guys, because I'm "decent" at D, but I can always improve

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2014, 02:43 AM   #56
Rookie

One of the best threads on this forum by far. Thanks to everyone for sharing their tips especially thebigHST, madmax52277, violencefight and coached17. This gives me so much hope for the online mode. Looking forward to trying them all out and hopefully dishing out a few of my own tips when i actually get "average" myself.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »