Home

The bumpback animation. Your thoughts?

This is a discussion on The bumpback animation. Your thoughts? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2014, 05:45 AM   #25
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: The bumpback animation. Your thoughts?

You guys know that you can get of that animation right? It's really simple
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2014, 07:14 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 0

I think the animations are okay...just not sure they are handled the right way some times.

There is a BENEFIT to some of these animations...mainly stopping the game from becoming a turbo dunkfest.

Some are a bit unrealistic, but some big guys are able to bump fast guys to slow them down some in real life, you see it a lot. I'd be in favor of making some of these bumps fouls, but knowing 2K...this won't happen otherwise Steal-button pounders would foul out half their team every game.

Some of the animations under the hoop bug me...but it's more because a big man is able to step up and help - and then also recover back to the man he leaves and bump him slightly - causing a miss.

Oh...and I'm surprised the worst one hasn't been mentioned. The one where you pump fake and the defender leaves his feet, but bumps you in the air...and is then able to miraculously recover before you do...thus being rewarded for leaving his feet. Ugh...that one is a little silly and is never called a foul.

Last edited by coached17; 11-18-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #27
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by coached17

Some of the animations under the hoop bug me...but it's more because a big man is able to step up and help - and then also recover back to the man he leaves and bump him slightly - causing a miss.

Oh...and I'm surprised the worst one hasn't been mentioned. The one where you pump fake and the defender leaves his feet, but bumps you in the air...and is then able to miraculously recover before you do...thus being rewarded for leaving his feet. Ugh...that one is a little silly and is never called a foul.
Yeah this bugs me too. Your player will do this dramatic contact animation and will be out of the play, you can see the push in the back. All of these things are what I call artificial difficulty. Basically things they put in the game to make the game difficult that doesn't represent realism.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #28
Pro

kolanji's Arena

OVR: 19

I have been saying this for a while now that bump back animations in nba 2k is not basketball...its a game mechanic to compensate for defensive handicaps(see nba2k 15 control thread)

Pretty much i agree with the above posts so not gonna repeat what was already said....

I wont be mad if nba 2k16 is focus on defense and balance alone....because the tools we have for defense(namely,bump backs) are just not basketball
Old 11-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #29
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coached17
I think the animations are okay...just not sure they are handled the right way some times.

There is a BENEFIT to some of these animations...mainly stopping the game from becoming a turbo dunkfest.

Some are a bit unrealistic, but some big guys are able to bump fast guys to slow them down some in real life, you see it a lot.
Yes, I see big men bumping quick guys, but its whistled a foul which of course makes it a terrible defensive tactic in real life.

Let's just call it like it is. The bumping is a damn bandaid. It was put in place when gaming consoles didn't have the capabilities to replicate defensive footwork. Thats no longer the case and honestly, considering how anal people are here regarding details, im shocked by the amount of people who cool with it.

Last edited by 2_headedmonster; 11-18-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #30
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

The bumping is there to simulate the defender impeding the ball handlers progress....I would definitely disagree that it's not a part of basketball....the way it's implemented may be exaggerated, but I understand it's purpose...

This is strictly talking one on one defense.

We've come a long way with basketball video games from a time were defense was mostly cosmetic besides blocks and steals....I think some things are necessary to maintain balance in the game...and that's not to say tweaks don't need to be made...
Old 11-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #31
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14

i didn't like the bump animations at first, but i don't mind them now that I've gotten a feel for the game. if you anticipate the contact and move the left or right stick right before the contact or right at the beginning, you can break out of it and avoid those long bump animations…if you ram into the defender and wait too long to hit the sticks, you will get stuck in the longer animations. i don't mind it, since there is a way to avoid it and it kind of rewards you for reacting quickly to avoid contact.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2014, 11:24 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Yup. It's what makes the CPU momentum runs seem cheesy and overpowering. The CPU starts playing by a different set of rules and also repeatedly makes contact layups. The game actively punishes you even though you're doing the right thing just because you made some mistakes before. Nice try, but nope. You sucked earlier so physics and sim are taking a nap now. That's frustrating as heck. Still shows up in All-Star but it makes Superstar unplayable for me because I'm not good enough to avoid a string of mistakes that engages CPU cheese mode.
All this literally just happened to me, I was playing the Cavs, and it was a close game then all of sudden I couldn't stop anybody and couldn't make a shot to save my life. My wife was watching me and asked me how come they are running right by you and stuff, but you always get bumped and your man stop. and she said how come you can't make a shot. I said it's when the cpu decides your not going to win this game they start making you miss easy shots and the cpu will make and do anything they want.

But seriously this is ridiculous, the game should be played evenly. I don't mean all teams should play alike, I mean my cpu players should do the same has their cpu players. Step up to shots, go for lose balls, play the passing lane if a pass if thrown there, jump for rebounds.

It's like if you predict and know what's about to happen you get penalized for it by some type of force stopping you from getting to where your trying to go.

Example: some how the player got by his defender and have a wide open lane, you notice it and try to come over to pick it up, no you can't cause something is stopping you from moving to give the cpu the advantage.

Example 2: You see a shooter in the corner wide open, you try to run over to contest the shot, No there's something keeping you from getting out there to contest it even though you seen him open before he even got the ball.

Example 3: You know the spot the ball handler is about to go to, so you try to get there to stop him. No the game makes you over play it by making you run to far.

Example 4: You trying to stay in front of you man but you can't cause somethings is stopping you from getting to close and then when you do you over play it.

I can go on and on with this but I know you guys get the point and see this stuff. Don't get me wrong this game plays great when the cheating cpu cheese stuff is not happening. I should not be losing a game just because I couldn't stop an animation from playing out. Also is it me or does everything seem a bit slower on the User side. Like when coming off picks and I pass it to the guy, the pass seems so slow and then it's like I can't pull up fast enough. I have to wait for an animation to finish before I can pull up and shot and then most of the time he's fading away or leaning to side for no reason at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »