Home

NBA 2k15 Player Regression in MYLeague Testing

This is a discussion on NBA 2k15 Player Regression in MYLeague Testing within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #25
Rookie

nip83's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: NBA 2k15 Player Regression in MYLeague Testing

Just my 2 cents for maybe next year.Pro Evo had a system in it's franchise mode -master league (going back 10 yrs) where the players had 5 or more progression curves.If i remember correctly it was early peak,early sustain,normal,normal sustain,late bloomer and up and down(he regressed mid 20's and start developing 2 yrs on ,again as a second part of his career).

It also featured development based on playing time and training and had potential peaks as part of the progression curve.

I know it's football(soccer) but i can't see where a system like that can't be implemented in today's game and the Nba where different players have different type of careers.Especially the last curve could prove handy with players that lose athleticism and develop other parts of their game like shooting ,low post skill etc.It's exactly the same in soccer where you'd see a 40 yr old pirlo still playing because of his outstanding passing and techical ability.

Wishful thinking...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2014, 12:17 AM   #26
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nip83
Just my 2 cents for maybe next year.Pro Evo had a system in it's franchise mode -master league (going back 10 yrs) where the players had 5 or more progression curves.If i remember correctly it was early peak,early sustain,normal,normal sustain,late bloomer and up and down(he regressed mid 20's and start developing 2 yrs on ,again as a second part of his career).

It also featured development based on playing time and training and had potential peaks as part of the progression curve.

I know it's football(soccer) but i can't see where a system like that can't be implemented in today's game and the Nba where different players have different type of careers.Especially the last curve could prove handy with players that lose athleticism and develop other parts of their game like shooting ,low post skill etc.It's exactly the same in soccer where you'd see a 40 yr old pirlo still playing because of his outstanding passing and techical ability.

Wishful thinking...
If I'm being frank, I'm surprised that stuff like this hasn't progressed (pun seriously not intended) further than it has to this point, in 2014. When you think about things we were seeing 10 years ago or more, it's really not that much better now. Some will possibly even argue that it's worse.

10 years ago you could have asked me what I expected to see today in terms of franchise modes in games, and honestly I probably would have been disappointed to hear where things actually are.

Progress does happen and it shows they paid some serious attention to MyLeague this year, but for every new feature over the years we lose the ability to do things like create teams, make players of different weight, change teams mid-save, give players headbands, tattoos, eyewear, and nicknames, etc. Even something like Simcast--if memory serves we actually had the ability to jump into a game many years back, but I could very well be crazy.

I understand sometimes things have to get left out for others from year to year due to time constraints, but when you look at the long game it kind of stinks. On the flip side, gameplay now doesn't even compare to where we were 10 years ago, and it still blows my mind how far we've come. To me, it almost makes the long term relative lack of progress in the other modes more disappointing, because the game has soooooo much potential.

Gosh, I really don't mean to sound like I'm so negative on OS today. This is what happens when I get super itchy for a patch I guess

Last edited by joosegoose; 12-09-2014 at 01:38 AM. Reason: a word
Old 12-09-2014, 01:04 AM   #27
Banned

madmax52277's Arena

Dam, just when I was going to start a new myleague, I'm blocked by this regression thing.

Went through some post, and they are very upset. so everyone that reach, 28 regress. i thought it was some player's.

What about slider's can that fix it?
Old 12-09-2014, 02:08 AM   #28
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcrb
Now the the Patch notes have been released and Player Regression wasnt addressed yet, it has been asked we give details on what is wrong.

As has been Stated before Any Player Age 28 OR Older will Regress at a RAPID Level No MATTER the Potential. So i decided to try a New Approach.

I Took Carmelo Anthony and Tested him with No tweaks at AGE 30 in MyLeague. Results were Regression EVEN with High Potential. Then I exited out and started a NEW My League with Carmelo at Age 24. NO Regression and had Progression at SAME Potential Attribute. For the Last test I made EVERY Player on the Knicks Age 24, and NONE Regressed, as they had done earlier IF they were above Age 28.

So in Conclusion it is something Hardcoded in the game that cause players to Regress at Age 28 no matter what Potential Rating.

2k Did a Great Job with their Patch today, Hopefully this can be addressed in a Patch VERY Soon.

NEW Testing Finds

In my Global Roster, you CANT Reset Ages for Toni Kukoc(28) +1, Drazen Petrovic(30) , Sarunas Marciulionis(28) +2 In Season 2 NONE have Regressed and I am listing their ages in at end of year 2 in () , they have actually Improved. I ALSO made 1 Euro Guys age 29 and he increased by +2, so I am thinking the EuroPlayers and Players on the Classic teams, may be Immune to the issue.

Interesting and that sucks that it is hard coded in the game like that with players. If it was not you could maybe fix it with upping players potential.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:14 AM   #29
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT34
This needs to be paired with appropriate aging curves:

http://wagesofwins.com/nba-players-age-like-milk/

The reality is that, on average, NBA players start to regress around age 26.

What's important is that not EVERY player follows that pattern. It should not be hardcoded that all players regress at 28, or whatever. Some guys get better into their 30s, Nash being a great example, and Kyle Korver another. Some guys regress more rapidly than others. The curve should average out to be like real NBA aging curves, but there needs to be a lot of individual variability, and it needs to be influenced by a combination of factors such as personality badges, player health, coach, playing time, etc.

Duncan/Ginobli probably don't end up with the longevity they have without playing for the Spurs, getting rested the way Pop rests them, and just having some good luck with injuries.

What would be great would be the ability to edit some of these factors, both through sliders and through player ratings.

We also, at some point, need better player development mechanics, i.e. the ability to draft and stash, use the d-league, etc. etc.

This is bogos. Nba players are in there prim form about 25-30 then start to decline around 31 and don't have a big drop off in till like 33.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:31 AM   #30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax52277
Dam, just when I was going to start a new myleague, I'm blocked by this regression thing.

Went through some post, and they are very upset. so everyone that reach, 28 regress. i thought it was some player's.

What about slider's can that fix it?

Players regress at way to young of a age and to much each year. Its not just a few guys it is way way to many players. I Did sever sims and I had just 3 yes just 3 guys at 30 or older that did not get worse and just about ever player at 30 not only got worse but like 4-6 worse not just like 1 worse. Even if a player has a great year if he is like 29-30 he will get worse. I had curry who is 28 go down by 1 even though he had a carrer high in sever stats. There are even a lot of guys 27-29 that get worse and even sever guys at like 25 get worse. Guys start to decline about 3-4 years to early. It is really bad.

Guys delince last longer or shorter for different amonts of time in different sports and in this game guys decline like they are NFL RB or something. In the NFL RBs at 30 tend to just fail of the face of the earth and in this game guys are decline like that when in real life it is more like 34-35. You hear in real life how they talk about how NBA players prim is form about 25-31. In this game it is like 25-28 or something. Also how much guys play should factor in to this kind of stuff. If a guy comes in to the NBA at 18 and is starting right away there should be a better changes of him dropping of at say 28 then a guy who didn't came in to the league in till like 21. An example of that is even though Kobe was playing great back before last year when at the time he was 34 with getting into the NBA at 18 and having won 5 championships and been to the finals 7 times he had a lot of wore and tear and so they would talk about how he Is a old 34 and how you could say he was more like a 36-37 because of all the minutes and games played and short summers those years he got to the finals.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:45 AM   #31
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknightrises
This is bogos. Nba players are in there prim form about 25-30 then start to decline around 31 and don't have a big drop off in till like 33.
I've posted this before elsewhere but it's worth another mention. On average, a player's peak runs from years 3-8. There's obviously plenty of variation, but beginning a decline (albeit a slight one) around age 28 sounds about right.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2014, 03:49 AM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosegoose
I've posted this before elsewhere but it's worth another mention. On average, a player's peak runs from years 3-8. There's obviously plenty of variation, but beginning a decline (albeit a slight one) around age 28 sounds about right.

They begin to decline at 27-30, that's all fine and good, but players do not become completely useless at age 29, especially shooters such as Korver and J.J. Redick, which in my tests were out of the league when they hit 30 or 31 because they lost all shooting skills, and those are two guys that will play well into their 30's pending major injury, there is always room for great shooting in the NBA.

I am working on a formula for editing old guys, but it is really annoying to do this every season.

I'm right with you, though man. 28 sounds great for the beginning of decline or the end of improvement for average players. Guys like Kevin Love and Paul Pierce should steadily stay the course until about 32 and LeBron/Kobe/Michael type players shouldn't start a big decline until 34. It was good the way it was before and I know it isn't a simple fix, as I am not a programmer.

2K did an amazing job with the patch and like all roster editors on this great site, I am hoping that 2K throws us a bone with this progression thing. They have been more on the ball this year with listening to the community than any other year I can remember. Props, 2K. Great discussion here.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »