Home

What AI strategic improvements would you like to see?

This is a discussion on What AI strategic improvements would you like to see? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6
What AI strategic improvements would you like to see?

As a 2K player since 2004, Ive seen some huge improvements.

I remember when CPU players would dribble out the clock when down by 1, when big men got 3 shots per game, and when all players would only either dunk or chuck 3s.

Now I see elite bigs pounding me down low, and lots of variance in who takes the shots. I played Atlanta earlier and Teague sliced me up. 2nd meeting, I switched Marion on to Teague and they forcefed Horford. Nice.

But there are still some areas that can be improved, and I know the dev team is constantly improving these.

Do simheads out there have any suggestions?

Ive got 3.

1. The CPU does not recognise mismatches. I remember Czar said this and bringing it in would be huge.

2. Make the CPU really attack when playing pick and roll. I rarely feel threatened when they run it. When they do run it, rarely is their a hard cut by the roller or a hard drive by the ball handler.

3. Make some team's drop their big guy back in pick and roll coverage. It's something Ive just noticed. Real life teams like Golden State and Portland drop thier big guy back into the paint and encourage mid range shots. In 2K every team seems to hedge on my pick and rolls.

Last edited by Smirkin Dirk; 12-12-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What AI strategic improvements would you like to see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
As a 2K player since 2004, Ive seen some huge improvements.

I remember when CPU players would dribble out the clock when down by 1, when big men got 3 shots per game, and when all players would only either dunk or chuck 3s.

Now I see elite bigs pounding me down low, and lots of variance in who takes the shots. I played Atlanta earlier and Teague sliced me up. 2nd meeting, I switched Marion on to Teague and they forcefed Horford. Nice.

But there are still some areas that can be improved, and I know the dev team is constantly improving these.

Do simheads out there have any suggestions?

Ive got 3.

1. The CPU does not recognise mismatches. I remember Czar said this and bringing it in would be huge.

2. Make the CPU really attack when playing pick and roll. I rarely feel threatened when they run it. When they do run it, rarely is their a hard cut by the roller or a hard drive by the ball handler.

3. Make some team's drop their big guy back in pick and roll coverage. It's something Ive just noticed. Teams like Golden State and Portland drop thier big guy back into the paint and encourage mid range shots. Every team seems to hedge on my pick and rolls.
Great thread. You're right about Czar mentioning #1. Iirc he wanted to get it in this year but ran out of time. I think we have a good chance of seeing it next year.

I can't think of anything to contribute at the moment, but I'll post here the next time I think of something while playing.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
Rookie

Mismatches and double teams. If I find Drummond posting up Tony Parker the AI should be flashing help immediately. That would open up the floor even more for those that complain about things being too crowded. When AI mismatch recognition and double teams get put in the game I'll be in sim heaven.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhead80
Mismatches and double teams. If I find Drummond posting up Tony Parker the AI should be flashing help immediately. That would open up the floor even more for those that complain about things being too crowded. When AI mismatch recognition and double teams get put in the game I'll be in sim heaven.
Yep. When they do get a mismatch, they score at a really good clip.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

Another area that could be improved is the fact that the CPU never doubles on the post. I can back down all the way to underneath the rim and will never see a double.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2014, 12:59 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 33

- While we are improving it, a little bit more awareness from teammates when a dribble is picked up or when you are been doubleteamed. They should look to position themselves in a way that eases a somewhat good pass and not stand there like nothing happened (if their ratings dictate so).

- Slow paced teams should cause their players to walk while bringing the ball up and fast paced teams the contrary, run. They should also feature plays with late shot oportunities (dont confuse with shot clock cheese).

- Even more relation to the oncourt effect of the IQ, awareness, consistency and stamina ratings.

- More organic substitution, not the now massive all in approach (4-5 guys at a time, regardless of score)

- More relation within actual playing and rotation settings (players minutes assigned) and depth charts.

Last edited by ffaacc03; 12-13-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

If I get a rebound with my big, I shouldn't have my guards run all the way down court and have to bring it up the floor with Hibbert.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
Rookie

City_foxx's Arena

I agree with ffacco decision making needs to be improved of ball wen plays are broken down or double teams occur, especially in online matches where the most random and brain dead stategys can work due to poor ai reactions

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »