Home

Player weight...does this bother anybody else?

This is a discussion on Player weight...does this bother anybody else? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-19-2014, 02:22 AM   #1
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

OVR: 0
Player weight...does this bother anybody else?

I hate to make one of these complaint threads, but the more I think about this the more it's been bothering me. 23 or anyone else feel free to close this if it's out of line.

When I bought 2k15 about 2 months ago the first thing I did was create a MyLeague and sim a few seasons to see how much things have changed. After jumping into a game I noticed an unskilled cpu-generated center bringing the ball up the court consistently and running pick and rolls. Initially I figured this was a case of poor random player generation, but upon looking into the matter I noticed all created players were like this. It turns out this was a known issue that was fixed with one of the very first roster updates. Props to 2k for fixing it promptly.

Upon digging around I noticed a few other bugs. All generated players had the same wingspan/shoulder width/etc (50) and adjusting player weight appeared to have no effect. I also noticed player's couldn't be given headbands, eyewear (both available in MyPlayer) or be taller than 7'2. All disappointing, but I figured them to simply be removed/unavailable features and moved on from it.

The aforementioned body parameters issue was fixed in the patch (thanks again 2k), but I've been hearing no mention of the weight issue. At this point I've come to realize that it's not a bug, but rather a "feature" that's not in the game. Really? I'm not sure I've ever played any sort of videogame with customizable character weight that does absolutely nothing. That includes all of the NBA 2K games I've played going back to 2k4 (ESPN NBA Basketball).

Changing player height works, as well as wingspan, shoulder width, and body length. Why doesn't weight? I understand not being able to change the weight/appearance of real players but I don't see why 150 and 350 pound created players have to look the exact same. I'm not asking to be able to adjust the sizes of calves, arms, feet, etc (though let's be honest, it's a little surprising that it's almost 2015 and not in NBA 2K), I just want player weight to do something.

If player weight does nothing this year, what are the chances that player height does nothing next year? Yes, I'm being dramatic, but that's how surprised I was to realize that weight does absolutely nothing this year. It's nice to finally adjust wingspans and the like but I never would have wanted that to come at the expense of adjustable weight.

I'm sorry this was so ranty but I haven't seen this mentioned on the forums a whole lot and I just need to know that I'm not the only one bothered by this. If nobody else cares then it might mean the "feature" might not return for future installments.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2014, 02:35 AM   #2
J.C
Rookie

Re: Player weight...does this bother anybody else?

I feel the same. I'm tired of not being able to make a lanky looking myplayer. No matter what you adjust the weight or body type all the players have the same frame.

It's not so much the weight being the problem, it's the body type that is the issue.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:45 AM   #3
Rookie

I noticed this too and to me it's very annoying. I want fat centers now!
Old 12-19-2014, 03:05 AM   #4
Rookie

The omissions from this game seem very odd and all seem like they could have easily been implemented. Especially considering how amazing this game is otherwise.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:08 AM   #5
MVP

Phreezy P's Arena

OVR: 24

I'm 90% positive the body types are connected to the CFs deep in the files, not in the roster like it used to be. So once they set the body type, they can't change it without some kind of patch-in.

For MyPlayer, I assume they arbitrarily picked the normal body type for the base headshape, and they never gave a choice on which body type to select.

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2014, 03:45 AM   #6
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C
I feel the same. I'm tired of not being able to make a lanky looking myplayer. No matter what you adjust the weight or body type all the players have the same frame.

It's not so much the weight being the problem, it's the body type that is the issue.
Weight or body type...however you look at the issue, I'm surprised we have no input when creating players. I would be totally okay (well, at least mostly okay) with the weight slider doing nothing if we at least had 5 or so body types to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauroth
I noticed this too and to me it's very annoying. I want fat centers now!
Post men are probably where I take the most umbrage with the issue. It feels a bit weird when a strong, drop-stepping 7 footer is the same size as your point guard, but taller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthemajin
The omissions from this game seem very odd and all seem like they could have easily been implemented. Especially considering how amazing this game is otherwise.
This is the only reason I speak up about these sort of issues. There is an absolutely phenomenal game here, which makes seemingly trivial issues like this one stand out even more. When a game only has a few obvious flaws (particularly ones that were better in past years, regression I'm looking at you too), you want nothing more than to be able to improve them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreezy P
I'm 90% positive the body types are connected to the CFs deep in the files, not in the roster like it used to be. So once they set the body type, they can't change it without some kind of patch-in.

For MyPlayer, I assume they arbitrarily picked the normal body type for the base headshape, and they never gave a choice on which body type to select.
Yeah, I can understand why we can't change weight/body types for real NBA players. I don't necessarily like it, but I see it in the same vein as not being able to change headbands/shoes/etc. It'd be nice to potentially be able to transform a player's body over his career (imagine if Kevin Love still looked like this
Spoiler
), but I really don't care all that much.

MyPlayers and CAPs (mainly CAPs) are what disappoint me though. I don't know how impossible it would be on a scale of 1 to breaking Wilt Chamberlain's records, but I hope the ability to select a body type could be patched in somehow. Especially for franchise mode, the same body types for everyone can really drag things down. When player faces can be customized so well, it really stands out when everybody has the same body type.

Edit: To all--I had 2k14 for PC last year so I'm unfamiliar with last year's "next-gen" version. Was player weight/body type the same as it is now? I'm curious if the lack of customization is brand new to 2k15 or if it's a feature they have not yet added since moving to the new engine and whatnot.

Last edited by joosegoose; 12-19-2014 at 03:48 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
Rookie

As you mentioned, we were already used to have 5 different body types, so this is a huge stepback.
And honestly speaking, it's a bit weird to think about that no tester ever noticed this issue. It was the 1st thing I noticed when I started editing a player.
I don't want to sound conspiratorial but there are too much stupid things like this, the fact that we can't remove tattooes from created players, or the height cap and the offensive names to really think that they're all without guilt.
Seriously...otherwise please improve the testers!
Old 12-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C

This is the only reason I haven't played MyCareer since who knows when. My guy shouldn't look like John Cena if I don't want him to. It literally made the mode unplayable for me... my favorite mode and I can't stand it because of that one stupid overlook by 2k.

Now I just play MyLeague and MyGM. It's ridiculous something so simple can't be implemented and on top of it, 2k won't acknowledge the issue.

Until this gets fixed. I'm never touching MyCareer mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »