Home

Post animations that annoy YOU in the game!

This is a discussion on Post animations that annoy YOU in the game! within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #9
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Post animations that annoy YOU in the game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless9625
Hey guys,

since 2K is apparently reading some of the threads over here, I thought we could start a thread with all the annoying animations effecting the otherwise great gameplay experience:

1. the "walking up" dribble animation. I think other people mentioned it in the patch impressions thread. The animation triggers at random times when bringing up the ball and can't be stopped till you bump into a defender or land in another bad spot on the floor. Its just annoying that I dont have full control over where my player goes and doesnt go during these situations.

2. the "bumping during fastbreaks" animation. Keep in mind that I play on superstar so this issue might be somewhat negligible on lower difficulties. A lot of times when you are running the ball up the floor the opponent will just run at you and trigger a bumping animation that stops you from running the fast break. That never happens in the real NBA because it would result in a foul call 99% of the time. Sometimes its so bad that I almost get a backcourt violation call because I cant dribble up the flor with all the bumping.

3. the "hesitation dribble". This happens after almost every pick n roll for me. Instead of running straight to the rim your player resorts into a weird hesitation dribble where the game doesn't allow you to move with full mobility even if your defender is nowhere near you. Im sure a lot of you guys know what I'm talking about.

This is not supposed to be a thread were people just bitch around but a place where we can hopefully post constructive criticism of an otherwise great game. Please post the animations that annoy you so that 2k can fix them in the next patch.

edit. all these observations have been made in the my career mode.

I have found the cure to #3!!! It may take a little time to do but it's worth it IMO. Go into edit player /Player Tendencies and then 0 out Setup Sizeup and Setup Hesitation. If you do that you won't see that animation anymore...and should you see it, it would be the rare exception and not the rule.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:48 PM   #10
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by coached17
The new "walking up" animation that you can't control is just silly. I get what they were trying to do, but it was executed poorly.

The right way to execute it would be to allow the USER to control it and do it when they want to, not to automatically FORCE them to do it.

As far as the other two go...well, there is a reason those are there.

Without them the game quickly becomes a 5-on-5 version of NBA Jam - it's a fact. I realize that is the game some people want...but long term, it's a bad thing for the game and those who play it.

The "fast break bumps" happen in real life...I don't think they need to be removed or changed. The game does a pretty good job of simulating an NBA fast break. Without the bumps, you would just have guys turbo-ing from end to end. Like I said, I know thats what some people WANT...but it's not a good thing for those who want to play a SIM game and those who are dedicated users who BUY the game every year.

The pick-n-roll hesitation is slightly more annoying, but I still see WHY they added it. Too much turbo around picks that was just unstoppable.

2k15 is the most accurate basketball game ever made as far as simulating the pick-n-roll goes. However, you could break and "cheese" that entire system by simply turbo-ing off picks for unstoppable dunks and layups. The turbo-ing threw off the timing of the pick-n-roll and how the defense reacted to it.

One problem seems to be the way a large percentage of players tries to use the pick-n-roll. The fact is, most just expect to call for a pick and get a layup...or pass to the roller for a layup or dunk. The problem is, the P-n-R in the NBA is a lot more complicated and complex than that. And a big part of the problem is these players don't want a SIM pick-n-roll...they just want to be able to have a FALLBACK option that makes it EASY to score...and P-n-R has always been that.

The more I look at some of this, the more I come back to the belief that a lot of this stuff is added to counteract how overpowered TURBO is. Maybe removing or changing TURBO is the better solution?

It's clearly not a very accurate idea of how real-life basketball works.

Taking it out and replacing it with something that is more short-term, like a "Burst" button would make more sense.

There are people who play this game without ever removing their finger from the R2 trigger. That's not how basketball is played.

Turning it into a Burst modifier would make a lot more sense....but it would also make the game harder and tick a lot of the casual ARCADE players off...so I doubt it ever happens.

This! I have great modified slider set from Cycloniac that plays superb. I'm an offline player and I have On Ball D, Driving Shot and Inside shot contact frequency way down (between 10-15). It has gotten rid of most of the bumping and sliding. It plays great against the CPU as I like to run sets and I like to penetrate and dish. But I played my buddy a few days ago and it was just terrible. It was a total arcade fest. I switched it from custom to default and it neutered it completely. It's a necessary evil I guess. At least we have the tools to change the experience though.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:58 PM   #11
The Answer

Dmanning2's Arena

I agree that bumbs on the fastbreak should remain in the game but it's should be either a blocking foul or charge every time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2015, 10:01 PM   #12
Rookie

Worst animations, hitting the side of the backboard. I understand if your a right handed shooter on the right side of the basket or a lefty on the the left side. But, when your a righty on the left side it should never happen & vice versa. Do you know how horrible of a shooter you have to be to do this. I can't even do it if I tried in real life.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:08 PM   #13
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Anything that I don't start on my own annoys me.

Had an instance last night where my PG was being bumped by the defender and the animation lasted the entire width of the court before it stopped.

MAKE IT STOP.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:26 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
This! I have great modified slider set from Cycloniac that plays superb. I'm an offline player and I have On Ball D, Driving Shot and Inside shot contact frequency way down (between 10-15). It has gotten rid of most of the bumping and sliding. It plays great against the CPU as I like to run sets and I like to penetrate and dish. But I played my buddy a few days ago and it was just terrible. It was a total arcade fest. I switched it from custom to default and it neutered it completely. It's a necessary evil I guess. At least we have the tools to change the experience though.
it didnt work because the game does not have the necessary consequences in place to replicate real life, not that the band-aids currently in place are needed. What needs to happen is we need to be asking for realism all around rather than the same ol substitutes.

Lets demand planting and foot work over bumping, and quality, anticipitory rotations over odd slow down animations to buy the defense some time.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:47 PM   #15
Pro

OVR: 6

The "hesitation dribbling" animations is just dumb. My man automatically slow down even though there is not a single person right in front of him and stopping him from going straight to the hoop for a vicious dunk. Why would i want to do that stupid hesitation animation when no one is in front of me?? It is a wide open straight to the hoop for a dunk. It is almost like 2K is saying..." no no no...we can't let you drive straight to the hoop yet because that'll be too easy....you got to wait bit more" lol. That is the stupid thing i ever seen in a basketball video game 4real.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2015, 12:29 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 4

Fastbreak bumps need to be worked on. The reason it doesn't work its not based off position. Run into the person and animation triggers.

Fast breaks were near perfect before patch.

Another annoying animation, 5+ second rebounding animation and gather.

Oh yeah and everyone shooting fade a ways like Dirk.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »